1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Five Most Embarrassing Moments of Dr. Quinn" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

2. TetsuDeinonychus

TetsuDeinonychus New Member

I never watched Dr. Quinn as a kid, it looked really boring to me, and thankfully nobody around me wanted to watch it either. Good to know it was as crappy as I imagined.

I can't believe it ran all the way to 1998, though. I remember seeing commercials for it up to 1995 at the latest.

(BTW, even though I registered awhile back, and have been lurking at least a year. I think this is my first actual post. Hi everybody! :sweat:)

3. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

I'm to lazy to do .5 seconds worth of internet search, so I'll ask here.

John Glover wasn't in Dr. Quinn was he? When watching Smallville with my dad he is insistant upon the fact that John Glover played a character in Dr. Quinn.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

He wasn't a recurring character. Dunno if he was a guest. This was a show that I kinda had to watch as a kid since the women in the house outnumbered me. I only just found out recently that it was partially responsible for the demise of another western series I was a fan of called Paradise, so that's another mark against it.

5. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

I looked through the show's Wikipedia article for the episode containing the Colleen dialogue you typed out, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe I should have looked on a more reliable site, like a Dr. Quinn fansite.

6. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Sweet merciful Hendrix, this show hurt when I was a kid. It was the sort of bland, inoffensive entertainment that my grandmother absolutely adored, and whenever I was unfortunate enough to be over at her house when it was on, I knew I was in for sixty minutes of abject boredom.

Sadly, your assertion that they don't make these kinds of sappy shows anymore isn't entirely accurate, and again, I have my grandmother to blame for my knowledge of this. She's discovered this show called "Wind At My Back" on INSP that's basically "Dr. Quinn" in Depression-era America. It's just as boring and heavy-handed and unabashedly stupid, and it stars Kathy Greenwood being just as unfunny as she was on "Whose Line Is It Anyway".

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I think that might be a canadian drama from the 90s though. The last drama of this type I recall is probably 7th Heaven.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

I weep for your childhood if you were forced to watch this show.

I'm barely even familiar with it, so I consider myself lucky

9. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Yeah, same here. Never watched, and darn proud of it.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Less "forced" than "limited in choices they approved of." Usually the stuff I watched in prime time had to be the same stuff they did. And they loved Dr. Quinn.

11. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Hilarious article.

The idea of ever watching Dr. Quinn was by itself embarrassing enough for me, so I never caught those. Christie is one of the only shows I can think of that I dreaded more.

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Was that the one about the young schoolteacher?

13. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

It was spelled Christy, and yes, it was that one. It was basically a Dr. Quinn clone, only more boring. I only saw a couple episodes and remember nothing about them.

14. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

When the Gospel Music Channel suffered network decay and started picking up syndicated shows, they picked up both Christy and Dr. Quinn, which should give you some idea of how moralistic and wholesome these are. Christy also has a strong Christian element, not sure about Dr. Quinn with all of its political correctness.

15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Dr. Quinn was neutral to religion but it must have been up there on the wholesome scale if they could get a Fred Rogers cameo. Though I do recall two of the recurring characters being a saloon owner and his saloon girl.

16. Ganondorfdude11

I never watched this show, but I remember similar shows like Seventh Heaven and Touched By an Angel. My dad spent a year overseas stationed in Korea, and the only English programming he could get was Seventh Heaven, and it was one of the only prime time shows appropriate to watch with the family, so we watched it a lot. My sister and I were 11 and 13, and we would make fun of that show so much, with its formulaic plots, "Issues of the Week" and terrible acting. I hated that it promoted the stereotype that any show made for a religious audience has to be watered down and inoffensive, and all of the tough issues of the episode have to be resolved in 45 minutes. Shows like this are still on on channels like ABC Family. My sister says she watches Secret Life of the American Teenager just to make fun of it and it's the same type of show.

17. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

This was around the time CBS was known as "the old people's channel". Whats odd is that IIRC this was part of the same lineup that also contained Walker: Texas Ranger. Yeah, that had moralistic plots too, but at least it also had action scenes too.

18. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I prefer more gritty, reality based westerns, like "Little House on the Prairie."

Another funny article.
    I'm sure I tried to watch Dr. Quinn but can't remember a thing about it except that it drove me to channel surfing.
    Good for them for saving Grants life and becoming best friends. I guess Will Smith was too busy fighting mechanical spiders that day.

I don’t know anything about Walt Whitman. Well, if I was taught anything about him I don’t recall.
    There is too much effort to put modern labels on historical figures. They don’t fit that well but that thrill of thinking some hidden truth has just been puzzled out is too alluring.

19. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

I watched it back in the day, and this type of thing is why I don't visit these forums anymore, becuase then I know that I'll be the sole person who says, "Hey, it wasn't ALL bad..." :p

For the most part, you hit the nail on the head. The show had potential, and they wasted it on Jane Seymour's character. Dr. Quinn was kind of this paragon of 1990s morals, and everyone who wasn't her was stupid and wrong. And Sully had no emotions besides "cool detachment." Seriously, I remember wondering if the guy ever doubled over with laughter in his life.

It was especially bad because I liked the rest of the characters on the show. The nerdy telegraph operator, for instance, kinda reminded me of my grandfather. And Johnny Cash's recurring character was kinda cool, too, because he was Johnny Cash.

The way I see it, Dr. Quinn became what would have happened if someone had taken Star Trek: The Next Generation and renamed it Counselor Troi: Alien Woman, and made every episode a bad Troi episode. And Picard was a racist misogynist every other episode.

One more thing, and it's something that I pointed out on TV Tropes' "Warp That Aesop" section. The show had a character in its later seasons that was just like Dr. Quinn (same upbringing and whatnot), except a wealthy businessman. Everytime Dr. Quinn tried to reform the town, she was courageous and forward-thinking. Everytime this other dude did basically the same thing, he was portrayed as greedy and selfish. Double standard, much?

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator