First World Problems

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Peter Paltridge, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I hate how you have to manually turn off Annotations on every YouTube video, or else be bombarded with "GO DO THIS" and "CLICK HERE" text obscuring what you're trying to watch.

2. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

What's been happening recently is that some of the time, my mouse will click twice, even though I hit it only once, and with that, I either have to be lucky or click slowly. It really stinks!

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Here's another one: Windows put "Create shortcut" right above "Delete" in the right-click menu. You highlight 47 files, right-click, and select "Delete" -- only you accidentally hit the wrong area and create 47 shortcuts.

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Ahh, what is the point in pre-ordering something on Amazon if the shipping cost makes it nearly as much as it would've been without the preorder discount?

Maybe I should just spring for Prime, but...I think the thing is like $80 per year, isn't it?

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Does amazon even do pre-order discounts anymore? Especially with the Hachette battle, they seem to be slipping into the "use us or don't, see if we care" attitude.

6. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

Here's a problem I ran into recently. When the credit card system goes down and they have to write-up the order and bring out that old thing that slides back and forth that no one remembers how to use.
    I say that is a first world problem because I think in most third world countries they pay for everything with their cell phones.

7. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I just had to bump up this thread. I am house sitting for my brother's friend and they have a cat door which means the cats can come and go as they please. It also means they can bring in presents as they please. I had to get up at four in the morning because one of the dumb cats decided to drag in a gross, fat, rat.

8. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

They're going to stop making plasma HDTVs, and I can't afford one for my air-conditioned suburban house. If that's not a first-world problem, well, I don't know what is ;).

9. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The electrical wiring in the house is antiquated and can't support too many appliances operating at once. Two separate ACs always push it to the limit and then when someone starts the dryer, the circuit breaker goes off and everything in the house loses power until you turn it back on.

This happened twice today; normally when the computer suddenly shuts off, Firefox is able to restore everything I had open. But the second time, today, it booted up with none of my tabs or windows there. It doesn't remember them either.

AAAAAAAAAAGGGGHHHHH

An I the only person who has a tendency to just leave sites open in tabs rather than bookmark them? I guess this is the price I pay. I have stuff up with the intention of looking at it whenever I have the chance. I had stuff up and I've forgotten what some of it was. Now I'll never get to read it. I'm also always a week behind on TGWTG and loading up the videos that are about to fall off the main page so I can still find them. That site updates way too fast.

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I've been using Google Chrome for a few years now, but I'm seriously considering switching back to Firefox or to Comodo Dragon as my default browser because lately whenever I visit this site on Chrome, I keep getting the message about Shockwave Flash not responding or crashing. I've gone to about:// plugins to disable one Flash Player a couple of times now, but then the next day, It just happens again. It's really annoying.

12. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Are you one of those people that have hundreds of tabs open? I always wondered how that comes about.
    I don't like using bookmarks much either. I've started again because too many times I've thought I could easily get back to a page but then forget the specific thing that makes remembering it easy.
    I'm starting to wonder if a new bookmark folder for every day would be a good idea. The History menu should work like that but it's mostly full of garbage.

Edit: Actually the History menu may remember your recently closed tabs.

13. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

You could always buy a UPS to handle the power issues. If the breaker trips, it'll switch over to battery power with enough time to safely shut down your computer and/or save your session.

Also, you can always get an extension for Firefox to handle your session and save your tabs so they don't get lost forever on you.

One more thing about the electricity. No idea if you rent or own, but maybe it's time to have an electrician to come out? Bad wiring is a massive safety hazard and you don't want to burn up in a fire and we have to have a memorial topic burdened on us where we have to think of nice things to say about you. Think of others for a change. I don't want to write platitudes if I don't have to :p

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

There's nothing more annoying than waiting restlessly all day for a package, getting the mail late, and finding only envelopes there.

Because of online tracking, I know that post office has had my package for the last two days. Why won't they give it to me?

15. Aquadementia

Staff Member Moderator

Dumbed down weather forecasts.

You look at that little icon that shows rain clouds and lightning on some days where there are scattered showers that may hit for a few minutes out of the day but it is otherwise pretty nice and even sunny at times. Then days like this that have a big sun symbol with an itsy-bitsy cloud are the most overcast days of all. So you plan wrong.

At one time I was obsessed with watching the weather channel and it made me paranoid. Every time there was a high wind I felt like I better check things out in case there was a tornado or something.

It's better to do thing when you want to and just walk outside to see if you're going to get rained out. But it is hard to ignore those forecasts.

16. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I am house sitting for my aunt right now and right before she left she got a new wireless rotor and forgot to tell me about it. This means my iPad and laptop cannot connect to the internet. Right now I am on her million year old desktop. It has Windows XP. Windows XP I tell you! It gets worse as her keyboard is one of those weird curved ones that is supposed to be good on your hands but instead it is just annoying.

17. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

So I finally fulfilled my lifelong dream of getting a proper big-screen TV. It's a Samsung plasma. I wanted a Panasonic, but they don't make those any more. It's so big though, that it's hard to work with. It has two HDMI ports, so I used to use them for my DVR and my region-free modded Blu-ray player. Cost more for that mod, and it makes it hard to buy another one. It came with apps, which was cool, but the interface for Amazon Instant Video sucks and displays the bitrate rather than the resolution. Unfortunately, I found out that HBO will not cooperate with Sony. I this could not have an HBO Go app. This sucked. Seeking the cheapest option, I bought a Chromecast stick. Chromecast doesn't work with Amazon Instant Video, but more importantly, it has no stinking remote, and interface through the HBO Go app sucks like an industrial carpet cleaner. Plus, it's hard to get the HDMI cable from the DVR out and put Chromecast in because the stand I have isn't big enough for the giant TV. Oh, woe is me ;).

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

I just missed a rerun of the Small Wonder episode where Vicky becomes addicted to speed! That'll take a year to show up again!

19. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

I can relate to that problem. I remember deleting good episodes from my PVR and having to wait a long time before they aired again.

20. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I forgot to put my recycling bin on the curve on Friday the day where it gets picked up here, and now I have to wait 2 more weeks until the next time.