"Film of the Month" Nominations (for September 2014)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by wonderfly, Aug 7, 2014.

1. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D! Administrator

Filling in for "the greenman" this month with tackling the nominations thread.

Same deal as always: Nominate a film you want to discuss for "Film of the Month", or nominate two films, if you like!

No restrictions this time around. I think having "themes" or "restrictions" is good for certain months - maybe next month (when we're nominating for October) we should nominate horror movies? But for September, nominate whatever genre movie you want. :)

2. wonderfly

I'll start:

It recently occurred to me that it's been 20 years since the release of "The Crow". It's got supernatural elements, it's got a superhero vibe, it's got that classic 90's "Goth" look. It's just an all around classic. :)

And sticking with films based on comic books:

2nd Nomination: "Ghost World".

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Thanks for filling in for me Wonderfly. Yeah, I just had a perfect storm of things that basically kept me extremely busy for the past 2weeks. I think things should be back to normal soon. Also had to get a new cellphone, sso obla di obla da. I will try to nominate something and post a selection thread in the coming weeks.

4. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Feeling like a Star Trek mood, so why not Star Trek: First Contact.

5. wonderfly

Man, it feels like we now need to nominate at least one Robin Williams flick (though with so many good ones to choose from, I'm undecided as to which)...

6. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

What Dreams May Come, maybe? I recall Williams giving a strong performance, and movie does deal with suicide.

7. Gatomon41

Gatomon41 Call To Rebellion

Too soon. Just too soon.

8. wonderfly

Yeah, "What Dreams May Come" deals directly with suicide, and it's ramifications...

I'd also avoid "Dead Poet Society" for similar reasons (that's another suicide film), and geez, let's avoid Patch Adams as well, it's a tearjerker.

I'd prefer "Good Will Hunting" or "Hook". :)

(and even if a Robin Williams film is nominated, it won't necessarily win in the poll thread...let the votes fall where they may)....

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Well make a decision on a Robin Williams film, noms close on Friday or at latest this weekend.

I'll nominate "The Game" a Michael Douglas/David Fincher film I haven't seen in a long time. So Fincher has worked with TWO Incredible Hulks, Iron Man, Ant Man and Batman. Wouldn't mind him doing a gritty Batman film either.

10. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

There are a lot of people gravitating toward it right now. And, yes, experiencing strong emotion, but in a positive way. I co-lead a monthly psych movie club, and that's the movie we're watching this month.

Not saying this to push it on anybody. Just explaining where I'm coming from.

A friend of mine had suggested The Fisher King. Haven't seen it myself, but he said it's quite good. Maybe a possibility?

11. wonderfly

Thanks for the link. So "What Dreams May Come" was based on a novel from "I Am Legend" author Richard Matheson?!? I did not know that...

I was wondering if people were going to embrace or flee from "What Dreams May Come" as a result of this, and it looks like some people are embracing it. I take back my reservations against nominating it. Frankly, I like all of the Robin Williams films mentioned above (except "Patch Adams". I cringe at the very name "Patch Adams")...