1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fil-Cartoons

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by wiley207, Nov 5, 2012.

1. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I remember noticing several first-season episodes of Tiny Toon Adventures had ink-and-paint/camera work done by Fil-Cartoons, Inc. But what catches my interest on that is that Fil-Cartoons was actually a subsidiary of Hanna-Barbera Cartoons! (H-B opened Fil-Cartoons in the late 1980s as a satellite animation facility located in the Philippines, just as they opened one in Australia back in the early 1970s.) This means for the most part, Fil-Cartoons worked exclusively with H-B in most cases, but occasionally they worked for other studios, including Encore Enterprises, Spumco (in the first season of "Ren & Stimpy,") and Warner Bros. (as mentioned above.)

I'm guessing maybe Tom Ruegger chose Fil-Cartoons as one of the studios due to his work at H-B, for the very reason that he hired Kennedy Cartoons initially (as he worked with Kennedy at H-B, on "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.")
    Fil-Cartoons primarily worked with Kennedy Cartoons, on "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow," "Buster and the Wolverine," "Gang Busters," "You Asked For It Part 2," "Fields of Honey," "The Acme Bowl," "Best O' Plucky Duck Day" and "Who Bopped Bugs Bunny?" and on the three Encore episodes (except for the unused "Looney Beginning" bit at the start of "Strange Tales of Weird Science;" Wang did the ink-and-paint/camera on that part), the Wang episode "Spring in Acme Acres" and three AKOM episodes, "The Wacko World of Sports," "Sawdust and Toonsil" and "The ACME Home Shopping Show" (the latter two may be likely, as both do credit Fil-Cartoons for ink-and-paint, but still had main animation services miscredited to Wang and Kennedy, respectively.)
    I do wonder if Fil-Cartoons was dropped because WB didn't like working with them; same reasons they stopped using Encore and Kennedy after the first season, and AKOM in the mid-1990s? Their ink-and-paint work doesn't seem TOO bad in most cases, and it is apparently them who colored the purple Plucky in "Looniversity Daze" (because Encore accidentally drew Plucky in the classroom when he was supposed to be out in the hall, and Fil-Cartoons noticed this error and this is how they corrected it.)

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I have no idea why WB decided to stop using Fil-Cartoons. Maybe it was a cost issue; you'd assume it would be cheaper to just have one studio do both the animation and ink & paint instead of having one studio animate, then another color it. But that's strictly a guess.

At any rate, unless their work is noticeably shoddy (that is, coloring outside the cel lines on a regular basis), I can't say I ever can tell much of a difference between ink and paint houses. It's not like differentiating animation styles between different studios.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Spumco had some real problems working with Fil-Cartoons on Ren and Stimpy's first season. According to Bob Jaques, they would lose or discard segments of animation, change camera timing and simplify animation.

Tiny Toons and Ren and Stimpy were more technically demanding than any of the contemporaneous H-B shows, and it wouldn't surprise me if Fil-Cartoons was ill-suited to them. (and probably helped bugger up stuff like the Encore episodes farther)

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

^ That's a possibility as well. We have to get Tom Ruegger in here to shed some light on this. Why hasn't he been around lately? :(

5. Robochao

Robochao Member

Problems with Fil-Cartoons? I'm surprised considering that Stimpy's Invention is a near flawless work and that Bob Jaques directed the animation.
    [video=youtube;robniriOYS0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=robniriOYS0[/video]

6. wiley207

I think Fil-Cartoons only did ink-and-paint/camera work on that episode. But I'm sure Fil-Cartoons was responsible for some of the problems we saw with "Nurse Stimpy" and its inferior animation that had John K. credit himself as "Raymond Spum."

7. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Stimpy's Invention turned out as well as it did because Bob Jacques was named the overseas animation supervisor for that episode. He had to fight tooth and nail in order to keep Fil-Cartoons on track with the animation.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Just some clarification here: So Fil-Cartoons -did- work on Stimpy's Invention (along with Carbunkle, of course)? I was under the impression that Fil-Cartoons was only involved in Stimpy's Breakfast Tips and Fire Dogs. Guess I'm wrong?

9. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Fil-Cartoons handled the ink-and-paint and camera for the entire first season (Lacewood, Carbunkle and Bon Art). So, for Stimpy's Invention, the animation itself was done by Carbunkle, which was then sent to Fil-Cartoons for the final steps.

I think Thad mentioned that Breakfast Tips and Fire Dogs were the episodes in which Fil-Cartoons did actual animation in addition to their regular duties.

Bob Jaques' intervention really helped the quality of Stimpy's Invention, but even then scenes remain that show what the episode would've looked like had FC been left to their own devices.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Thanks for the clarification.

I assume Fil-Cartoons was responsible for the goof in Stimpy's Breakfast Tips where Stimpy's eyes are merely black dots?

11. Leviathan

Staff Member Moderator

Yup. In fact, this is what Bob Jaques had to say about that on Facebook (on the page of Thad's new R+S book)

John K. had the option of doing a retake, but liked the error and kept it in ("That's weird [crap] even WE would never come up with")

12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

Fil-Cartoons was truly a sweatshop studio. I've heard horror stories about the working condition there. Artists were VERY underpaid, to the point that many had to sleep at the studio because their salary wasn't enough to cover rent.

Bob Jaques called it "the cheapest [crap] studio I’ve ever had the displeasure to work at"

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

That's too bad. It's studios like that which give all overseas studios a bad name.

Just curious: Was this the studio that Joe Murray rejected when he was shopping for an overseas studio to work on Rocko? I know he mentioned one studio that didn't have air conditioning.

14. Robochao

Robochao Member

What a shame. The first six episodes of Dexter's Lab however is without a doubt a commendable effort from them, it's very true they improved after this occurrence with R&S.

15. Bigg3469

Bigg3469 New Member

I heard that a lot of the Tiny Toon Adventures faithful hated the way how the Tiny Toons were drawn by both Fil Cartoons and by Kennedy Cartoons that Warner Brothers fired Fil Cartoons after season one and replaced them with Chicago based Startoons.:mad:

16. wiley207

I don't think Warner Bros. had a problem with Fil-Cartoons. They just did ink-and-paint/camera work, and at least it appeared better than their "Ren and Stimpy" work. But Warner did have trouble with Kennedy Cartoons and Encore Enterprises. They also weren't keen on Freelance Animators New Zealand, either. A while back I rewatched "Buster and the Wolverine," and I can see how it must've been a real hassle for Warner, what with the Kennedy animators ending up not following the script, storyboards and layouts.
    I recall the first batch of Kennedy episodes had Fil-Cartoons do the ink-and-paint/camera work, and then Wang Film Productions for the rest of them. Their "Darkwing Duck" and some of their "Goof Troop" episodes had Bon Art Studios (and sometimes Wang) do ink-and-paint/camera for them, but in 1992, Kennedy Cartoons opened up a division in the Philippines so they could do their own ink-and-paint/camera work. Comparing all of them, there isn't really much of a difference with the ink-and-paint jobs, unless they went digital, like the first season of "A Pup Named Scooby-Doo" (though H-B did the digital coloring themselves on the show; by the early 90s, their old computer system was sent to Wang in Taiwan.)