Fictional Game systems in cartoons/shows/movies...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Zeonic Freak, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Zeonic Freak

Zeonic Freak Make MD Geist Great Again!

I had a thought occur to me when i was getting ready for school this morning when i thought about the episode of Doug where he gets the "Super Pretendo" and literally becomes a gamer for a week till he beats the game. Gosh, that was a great episode.

Another would be the episode of Evangelion when Asuka plays her friends Sega Saturn at some wee hours in the night.

So that got me thinking, what other shows/movies/cartoons that have game systems in it or rip off systems...

2. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Those aren't bootleg systems but rather those cartoon's answers to real videogames (For copyright reasons the names are changed).

South Park has it's Okami Gamesphere in the Towelie episode (which aired a few months before the release of the GameCube, IIRC)

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Two DCAU shows, Static Shock and Teen Titans, have both used a console called "GameStation", a soundalike for Sony's PlayStation.

Disney's Pepper Ann made the occasional reference to a console called "FunStation".

4. Mynd Hed

Mynd Hed Holy blue on a popo!

GameStation seems like the de facto fictional console name, being a combination of the Nintendo Gamecube and the Sony Playstation. I, personally, prefer Invader Zim's clever riff on the Playstation brand, the GameSlave and its successor, the GameSlave 2 or "GS2." (Which, ironically, is not a console at all but a handheld.)

Incidentally, in addition to the fictional Okama Gamesphere, I can recall two seperate times in which South Park has referenced actual video game consoles: in "Tooth Fairy's Tats 2000" Cartman refers to his ambition to save up for a Sega Dreamcast, and of course there was the two-parter in which he froze himself to try to get around having to wait for the Wii.

I'm going to go ahead and change the thread title to more accurately reflect its topic if there are no objections.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

The Tiny Toon Adventures episode "K-ACME TV" featured a parody commercial for the game 'Super Plucky-O Brothers' for the Nonmindo system.

The Pretendo name was used earlier in an episode of Jim Henson's Muppet Babies entitled "It's Only Pretendo".

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Well-Known Member

In FoxTrot, Jason Fox has a Jupiter-64 Gamestation.

7. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

Detective Conan had a variation of Nintendo called Mantendo.

And while there was no console, as short story in the Futurama episode Tales Of Anthology 2 had shown what life would be like if it was more like a video game. Thus the gang dealt with aliens from the planet, Nintendu 64.

8. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

Game Cone 4.

On the Disney Channel show, The Replacements, in the episode called Days of Blunder, Todd Daring tries to win a "Game Cone 4" which is more than likely a spoof of Sony's Playstation 2 / Play Station 3.

:coyote:

9. Scirel

Scirel WHY SO FRIENDSHIP?

Many, many shows use the "game sphere".

10. Douglas E.

Douglas E. Lucario For The Win!

Well there's V-Cube from "The Fairly Odd Parents." It's main appearance was in "Odd Ball", but it makes a cameo in "Nega-Timmy." And there's "Game Guy" from an episode of "Dave The Barbarian." If I do a parody in one of my comics, I usually use the name "X-Cube 2."

-Doug

11. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

That sounds like more of a spoof of the Gamecube.

12. The Irishman

The Irishman Tall. Irish. Animation Anomaly

I can't remember if the name was/is ever mentioned, but in Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, the game system is always very reminiscent of a GameCube.