Fess up, which often berated Marvel cartoons do you enjoy?

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by Silver Moebius, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Silver Moebius

Silver Moebius Member

I'll start by saying I don't really read the Marvel comics, I've read a few in my life, but I don't really have the time for it and have other things I like to watch, read or do. However, I've grown up with Marvel cartoons and have always been fascinated by them. My favorites are The X-Men (1992), Spider-Man (1981), The Incredible Hulk (19982), Spider-man (1994) and Silver Surfer (1998). Also have a soft spot of The 1996 Incredible Hulk cartoon, but I think it suffered a bit too much from too many guest stars.

However I also really enjoy season 1 of The Fantastic Four (94) cartoon, apart from the cheesy intro! It's just very fun. And Spider-man Unlimited. Especially Spider-man Unlimited. It's really fun take on the Island of Dr. Moreau with great voice acting (my favorite Spidey voice), cool visuals, rousing soundtrack and great dialogue.

What about you?

2. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I never got the hatred for MTV's Spider-Man. The CGI wasn't that good, but I thought NPH did a great job as Peter Parker.

3. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Active Member

X-Men Evolution, while massively flawed there's a just as many good episodes as there are terrible.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

X-Men: Evolution counts? Then that one. Its a great show with great writing. The only people who don't like only watched the first season, I suspect, or are against the characters being teenagers.

5. Mostezli

Mostezli Member

Thirded! Trying to re-watch season 1 at the moment, but that banter holds back on an otherwise good teen drama.

Assuming anyone brings up the current shows, USM will possibly be the most popular choice on account of (though not limited to) occasional humor and the dramatic bits genuinely working.
    AA could be someone's pick because it has a more serious tone than the other two and Hulk: Agents of SMASH due to that reality tv aspect...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2014
  6. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Came for the ribs

I seconded this while far from perfect I think it did have some good moments and applaud it for not focusing on Wolverine all the time

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

I guess... the 90's Spider-Man cartoon? Not that it's so much berated, but looked at from a more modern point of view after seeing Spectacular it's often seen as not holding up. It's what introduced me to the character and was one of the first Superhero cartoons I ever watched, so in that regard it's pretty important to me. I understand how much it's a product of its time and how much the censors neutered things, and some of the writing and characters as well as the animation weren't exactly bright spots, and I won't deny nostalgia plays a part in my feelings, but it's still as much responsible for my modern image of Spidey as Spectacular is even if the latter is decidedly a much better cartoon.

8. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Well, I am of a humble opinion that both MTV Spider-man and Wolvie and the X-Men deserve just a bit more praise than flack. For instance, the highest point of MTV Spidey was the character interaction, and it was also the first Spidey for a more mature audience where we got to hear him utter a swear-word or two and have some sex. WatX had beautiful character relationships and, despite most of the focus going on Wolvie, some well-developed characters that, you know, stayed true to the character in comics.

I would also give a special mention to all four Anime titles, especially the X-Men, mainly because it gave a colorful gallery of people, and because it gave us Blade back in the spotlight for a while.

I will also point out two DtVs, namely Doctor Strange and Next Avengers. The first I thought was just utterly badass, while the second simply grew on me even with all the cheesiness.

As far as Spidey Unlimited and the Surfer are concerned, while Surfer was not THAT berated, I will still count it here since it was one of my favorite characters growing up, and I did not really mind Unlimited for what it was.

9. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Active Member

X-Men: Evolution. Conversely, I never though Wolverine and the X-Men or Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes were nearly as good as people make them out to be. I found the designs and art style in the latter to be dreadfully ugly, especially in the face of Young Justice, which was airing at the same tie.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

MTV Spider Man always has a special place for me, back in high school it was a show both me and my gf at the time enjoyed watching together. When I got into the animation industry I ended up learning from some people that actually worked on the show so that was a new added wrinkle.

11. dmxx116

dmxx116 Active Member

What you talking about EMH not being a good show I'll let you one thing it better then the current Marvel shows that is out there right now.

BTW I'm big fan of Iron Man season one because I like Robert Hays who voice Iron Man.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
  12. RoryWilliams

I just said why I felt it wasn't a good show, LOL.

13. Freddy

Freddy Member

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

When it comes to Wolverine and the X-Men, I seem to recall it being referred to in the past somewhere as a Wolverine solo series that just so happens to feature the X-Men, and I think looking at it like that instead of as a traditional X-Men team show works to its favor. I think the series and the writing would've definitely hit its stride by season 2, but I think season one is good and enjoyable on its own even if there are definitely some sore spots.

I think both in terms of design and voice-acting that the show adapted the characters from the comics well, and how they approached classic X-Men comic story lines was interesting and fun to watch. The plot could've been stronger at certain points, but otherwise I though the show was a good X-Men series and I was sad that it got cancelled before season 2. Especially now that it's not likely we'll be getting a proper X-Men cartoon anytime soon.

15. Mostezli

Mostezli Member

You flipped the script as you did on a similar thread, please elaborate on X-men Evo instead.

16. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Besides the obvious picks (X-Men: Evolution, Avengers Assemble, USM), i also enjoy Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends quite a bit. Its slightly hokey, but its fun, and it also helped introduce me to the Marvel universe (just as Superfriends got me into the DC universe).

17. Monte

Monte Active Member

Ya i REALLY don't think X-men Evolution should count. While some berate it for the highschool angle it took, its more often praised; story, characters, and actions were done quite well. I mean in the favorite x-men series thread, it came up quite often as a favorite of many fans. When i think "often berated" i think shows like Avengers United we Stand, and Ultimate Spiderman. And to that extent, ya i don't think I like any of the shows that are commonly berated

18. RoryWilliams

Don't tell me what to talk about. He asked me a question and I responded.

19. Mostezli

Mostezli Member

"Which often berated marvel cartoons do you enjoy?"
    Care to elaborate on your thoughts on X-men Evo?

20. RoryWilliams

Again, don't tell me what I can and cannot discuss. Had you not responded this tangent would've been over.