Favourite TV Superman Design

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by suss2it, Jan 19, 2012.

?

Favourite Design?

1. DCAU

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  2. Brave New Metropolis

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. [i]Batman Beyond[/i]

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  4. [i]Justice League[/i] Season 1

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. [i]Static Shock[/i]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Justice Lords

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. [i]Legion of Super Heroes[/i] S1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. [i]Legion of Super Heroes[/i] S2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. [i]Legion of Super Heroes[/i] Superman X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. [i]Legion of Super Heroes[/i] Fusion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. [i]The Batman[/i]

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  12. [i]Batman: The Brave and The Bold[/i]

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  13. [i]Young Justice[/i]

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. suss2it

suss2it New Member

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/A made thread for the movie designs a while back, so I thought I'd make one for the TV versions.

DCAU Version (Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League S2, JLU)
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

"Brave New Metropolis" Version
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Batman Beyond
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Justice League Season 1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Static Shock
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Justice Lords Version
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Legion of Super Heroes Season 1
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Legion of Super Heroes
    Season 2
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Legion of Super Heroes Superman X
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Legion of Super Heroes Fusion
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The Batman
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Batman: The Brave And The Bold
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Young Justice
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The DCAU version is alright. The eyes just being dots on his flesh is weird though, and if everyone else had that design it wouldn't stand out as being weird, but it just being him made it kinda off putting. The season one Justice League is just the DCAU look, but with some lines on his face to make him look old. I don't think it worked and I'm glad they changed it for the rest of the show. The Static Shock one had it perfect by giving him normal eyes. Shame they didn't stick with it. The "Brave New Metropolis" was good for that episode. They did a good job making him look like a dictator. I really like the Batman Beyond version. The black and white looks good, and I always thought that those colours would make sense for Superman. The Justice Lords one is probably my favourite, at least when it comes to the Bruce Timm ones. As I said I think white and black works for Superman, and I like that he has his capes, and the splash of red.

The Legion of Super Heroes one were alright. In season 1, he looked like he was twelve though, and in S2 a teenager, so he should've just been called Superboy. But there was probably legal reasons involved. Superman X had a really cool design but the fused version (which kinda look kinda looks like the New 52 one), was bad. Alone, each design works, but fused it just looks ugly.

I'm not a huge fan of Brave and the Bold's. Too retro for me, and him almost always closing his eyes was kinda annoying. The cape looks to short for me, but it is the only one that put the shield on it, so I guess it gets points for that. The Batman's designs are usually more out there than this, but I this one does look really good. I like how his cape was wrapped around him, made him look majestic. Young Justice did a pretty good job too, probably the most detailed looking one.

2. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

I always will have a fondness for the Beyond era designs. I loved the Superman one because it was slick and streamlined compared to his contemporary look while still paying homage to his Kryptonian roots.

3. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Despite it all, I'd have to say I like the YJ Superman design best.

4. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

My favorite Superman design has always been the Justice League/JLU design after they cleaned it up for season two through the end of the JLU episodes.

5. JLU Dude

JLU Dude New Member

No offense, but why is the JL Season 2/Unlimited design grouped in with S: TAS? It's not the same design. The JL S2/Unlimited design is still the Season 1 design, but with a facelift.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2012
  6. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

And an even larger upper body mass (and skinnier legs) than the S:TAS design.

7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

Brave and the Bold.

Going back farther in time, I would say the Ruby-Spears Superman, but only sometimes. I find the animation from that show was a little uneven, so sometimes it wasn't that great, but other times it was fantastic.

I give huge bonus points for trying to put the yellow shield on the cape.

8. mgr91686

mgr91686 knowledgable John Wayne fan

The Young Justice design wins by far for me. There's just something in it that harkens back to my all time favorite comic book model of the early 90's.

9. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

I think the JLU version was wayyy too baby faced looking, JL Season One was better but the dashes under the eyes made him look a little too old at times, while many times he looked awesome like here, when he was lifting stinking a tank over his head!!!!:

Awesome-ness... I think the cheek bone lines added a little more detail or uniqueness (lack of a better word) to his design. I also thought his nose was better, with it having more detail... and it actually looked like a nose, in JLU it was four little straight lines that made up his nose (it always bothered me)

Also image borrowed from HBShows.com's JL site, http://JLcentral.net

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2012
  10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

Man did I hate that season 1 face. He just looked weathered instead of Superman. The Justice Lord version is so sweet but when it comes to straight blue and red Supes I always liked the STAS version.

11. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

As far as the post-Golden Age Supes goes, I've always been the biggest fan of a Neal Adams/José Luis García-López styled Supes and I think the Young Justice version probably comes the closest to that.

12. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

The version from the Batman is my favourite looks the tallest I've seen him in animation and he had a long cape. Plus he had actual eyes.

13. ganon51

ganon51 Member

Finally someone else notices this, his design from STAS is my favorite one. Like you said, in the Justice League/Justice League Unlimited he looks too bulky in comparison.

14. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

Yes, STAS should absolutely be it's own option, as it is quite different from the JLseason2/JLU design, and BY FAR the best Superman design of all the options. STAS design gets my vote. It's definitive Superman, period.

15. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

Definitely YJ Superman. It just seems iconic to me. Phil Bourassa has done the best designs in DC Animation, period. STAS to a REALLY close second.

16. Laugh Anyway

Laugh Anyway New Member

My top 2 aren't on here, those being the S:TAS and the Superman Shazam designs.

17. DerekPowers

DerekPowers Ruler of Gotham City, 2049

[​IMG][​IMG]

I figured I'd post some Superman: TAS pics. As you can see, it's quite different from the JL s2/JLU design. Obviously, in the first pic, it's the first design I'm comparing. I definitely think this is by far the best design of all.

18. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

His colors are off IMO, plus I think he looks far too baby faced too, plus he looks really chunky (it doesn't look like muscle it looks like he has eaten far too many Kandorian donuts) lol

D.

19. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

I gotta go with the STAS design. However, I know it seems minor and unimportant but what about Supes from Hereafter? Afterall, we might be seeing a bearded Supes in the upcoming film.

20. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

He looks even more chunky in Justice League. Just sayin'.