Favorite Young Justice members on "The Team:" (In Order):

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Nygma, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Nygma

Nygma New Member

Hey gang, since the seasons almost done (well here in the states anyways):

I thought I'd pose the question of who your favorite members on "The Team" are, since nobody's done a thread like this yet that I can see.

1.) Kid Flash- Wally West has always been my favorite of The Flashes, and I feel like Greg Weisman has done a great job of doing him justice on this show. Don't get me wrong I liked the DCAU version of him, but this show at least remembers that Wally still has a brain. Plus Jason Spisak is perfect in the role (heck even Greg has admitted to him being casted to type:D) He usually gets the best lines on the show, and his blossoming romance with Artemis has been great to watch unfold, I'm looking forward to how he approaches his feelings towards her in the next few episodes. It's already on its way to being perhaps my favorite romance in DC Animation. For me anyways. Heck it's managed to change my view on who he should end up with in the long run (it used to be Linda Park).

2.) Artemis- Greg Weisman has done for Artemis on this show, what he did for Tombstone on Spectacular Spider-Man. Take a D-List Character and make them more prominent. I usually don't like it when they take established villains and turn them in to heroes (ala Venom), but they managed to make it work. Not to mention that I find spitfire type women to be more appealing than someone like Ms. Martian's type. Not to mention her family ties leave for alot of possibilities on where to go with her. Stephanie Lemlin does a great job of making her fiesty, but not b****y. Much like Wally I'm also looking forward to where they go with her and her feelings for Kid Flash. Their bickering has also been a constant source of amusement. They're pretty much the Sam and Diane of this show.

3.) Robin- Before the show started if you had told me that Jesse McCartney would've been my favorite Robin voice of the lot, I would've first laughed at you and then asked you to pass whatever your smoking. Okay that sounds mean towards Jesse, but I just don't think many people outside of Greg Weisman or Jamie Thompson would've casted him for anything he would've brought to the role. I know some also hate his constant deconstruction of the English language, but I always found it amusing.

4.) Zatanna- I wasn't sure about making her a teenager on this show, but I liked how they've pulled it off. Lacey Chabert's voice also makes her adorable, whether she's in action, in sad moments, or being mischievous. I know some haven't gotten a grasp on that, but it's been played as subtle on this show (check out whose bike she "borrows" in Secrets;)).

5.) Miss Martian- There hasn't been much for me to care about with MM until the episode Image. Let me just be clear on this, it's not her catchphrase "Hello Megan" (it started out annoying for me, but I got used to it), it's not her 50s sitcom persona, it's just I've never been a huge fan of the overly nice girl characters. Image helped me see her in a light thats nothing like what she is on the outside. Someone who's pathological enough to lie to her friends about who she is, but there might be a good reason for this. I'm interested to know how she ended up as J'onn's "Niece" or if that's another fabrication in what is turning out to be a long list of them.

6.) Superboy- I'll admit there are times where Superboys anger (and that growly look he has on his face) can get old pretty quickly. But there's something about watching someone like Conner who had no grasp on what the world was like outside of Cadmus, learn how to live and interact in the world. I'm not a huge fan of his romance with M'gann as it's a little too typical, but them getting together did lead to the funniest line of the entire series to date.

7.) Aqualad- Easily my least favorite member of the team. Though I like the water visuals the show uses with him, and I know he's supposed to be the straight man of the group but I just find him to act rather blandly to just about everything that happens around him. Yes him being the leader of this team makes sense, but he just feels like the leader as a means for exposition. I liked Downtime, but I thought everyone else in Atlantis was more interesting than he was. Maybe he needs more time. I'm not sure what the rest of season 1 holds, but hopefully it and season 2 can flesh him out in to something more prominent, IMO he needs alot of work character wise.

Anyways, thats my thoughts what are yours?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  2. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord New Member

I'll admit, a lot of these have to do with expectations and first impressions.

1. Aqualad - I didn't have high hopes initially because I was a little disappointed they were creating a new character and not using Garth (especially since Teen Titans has made him such a badass), but that quickly disappeared when I saw him in action. His water manipulation and eel tattoos were really cool, and his maturity (which made him fit to be leader) really appealed to me. And Khary Payton really did a good job as him, making Aqualad relatively distinct from Cyborg.

2. Robin - Like Aqualad, I didn't really have high hopes, mostly because of Jesse McCartney. However, Jesse quickly showed his ability as a voice actor, and I was really impressed with his Robin, and his lines (and laughter) certainly helped. No way will YJ Robin be my personal #1 (that still goes to TT Robin), but it's definitely a really close second.

3. Zatanna - I didn't really care for the de-aging of her character, but aside from her age (and experience, I suppose), she's more or less the same Zatanna. She doesn't really have any negative traits that stand out to me, and I really like her chemistry with Robin.

4. Miss Martian - Out of the three "newcomers" (MM, Superboy and Artemis), Miss Martian appealed to me the most. Her "Hello, Megan!" can be annoying at times, but she's really not that bad IMO. Plus, her being a White Martian and potentially more powerful telepathically than J'onn makes for some promising storylines coming up...

5. Artemis - I didn't have a very positive initial reaction towards Artemis due to her annoying high-pitched voice and constant bickering with Wally. However, she doesn't have any superpowers or a belt full of high-tech equipment, so I have to give her credit for that, and the episode Homefront really demonstrated her badassery after she's been stripped from her only weapon.

6. Kid Flash - I suppose I'll get the negatives out of the way first: the only two things he seems to be doing outside of missions is either A: Flirting with Miss Martian, which is actually kinda cute, or B: Bickering with Artemis, which really gets on my nerves. That being said, he is a good character, and my favorite KF episode, Coldhearted, shows his appreciation for non-material things, such as Queen Perdita's smile. Plus, despite being a goofball most of the time, he is quite intelligent, and I really like that aspect of him. And even though he's not as good as Michael Rosenbaum IMO as KF, Jason Spisak does a great job as him.

7. Superboy - Like Artemis, Superboy didn't really illicit a very positive reaction from me; he seemed like the typical short-tempered guy with a strong attitude; every time I see him get angry I can't help but think "Superboy SMASH!!!" in my head. However, this aspect of him is being toned down, and it's mostly due to his relationship with Miss Martian. Another thing I did like that he was a toned down version of Superman in terms of powers. So overall, he is a better character now than before, though my first impression of him still left a bad taste in my mouth, and that's why he at the bottom of the list.

3. Nygma

Nygma New Member

What's so appealing about Aqualad being the mature guy of the group? Maybe I'd like this more if it wasn't for the fact that the only thing he ever emotes to majority of the time is being leader. Don't get me wrong I understand his role on the team. But I just don't feel it lends to great characterization. Some people complain about the teens quirks or teen angst getting annoying like MM's sitcom persona, Superboy's anger, or Wally's flirting. Kaldur's problem (IMO) is that he takes it too far in the other direction, and never shines as a personality. Heck, his biggest problem with being the Cyclops/Leonardo of the group is he doesn't have a specific characterization with anyone else that those two did with Logan/Jean Grey or Raphael (respectively).

Not me, those two actually shine when they argue.:D What's wrong with Stephanie Lemlin's voice?

I'd still put Jason ahead of Michael. Mostly due to the fact Jason Spisak has gotten more range to play with as a character than Michael Rosenbaum ever seemed to as comic relief.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  4. The Dark Lord

The Dark Lord New Member

As I said before, high-pitched and a little annoying. It's grown on me, though. :)

5. Santino

Santino New Member

1. Aqualad - His powers are awesome, and he's a great character. Normally I hate "leader" characters (Leonardo is my least favorite Ninja Turtle), but Aqualads a good leader who isn't a total pain to his teammates. Plus I love how he has a rough exterior, but gets homesick and has (had) a girl back home. I can certainly relate.

2. Kid Flash - Wally's always been my favorite Flash, too. I'm glad he's actually funny most of the time, rather than the comic relief character who no one gives a second thought to.

3. Artemis - I'm into archery myself, so she's got that going for her. She's a pretty noble character, wanting to do good in the world despite her rough upbringings. Can't wait to see her conflict with Cheshire/Sportsmaster come to a head.

4. Miss Martian - A pretty twisted character. Her "Hello Megan" schtick wears on me, but the fact that she's a monster in disguise is pretty cool.

5. Robin - I've always loved Dick Grayson, but his word-play in Young Justice is so annoying. Odd that he hasn't really got too much attention yet though. I'm definitely looking forward to "Performance".

6. Superboy - "RAAAAAHRAAHAHA"... "RAAAAAAAOHHHH"... "Superman doesn't love me"... "RAAAAAAAAAAGGRGGH". Yeah.

6. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

1. Superboy - of course as a massive Superman fan I was going to put him first. He has the advantage right away with the red S on his chest but I love what they've done with the character in this show. He started out very angry but has mellowed over time and its interesting to see where they're taking him. Infact I wouldn;t be anywhere near as interested in this show had he not been in it.

2. Kid Flash - he is hilarious, he just has me in stitches all the time.

3. Robin - I've always had a love hate thing with Robin in different mediums but on YJ I love how they've done him. He's probably my favourite version of Robin in animation yet. On a side note I love the whole whelmed, aster stuff makes me laugh.

4. Miss Martian
    - she's just so charminhg, how can you not fall in love with her. I do love that she has a dark side

5. Aqualad - I like Aqualad but he's fast becoming this shows John Stewart in that he just bores me senseless, give him some personality

6. Zatanna - don't really have much interest in her I'd prefer if she wasn't on the show

7. Artemis - I just hate her, she's not interesting at all in my opinion infact the episod with her and Zatanna teaming up was probably the worst episode yet

I'd have loved to have been able to put Red Arrow on the list (he'd have been tied third with Robin). On a side note I love Captain Marvel on this show.

7. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme Moderator

........you DO realize he's come a long way from being like this, correct. Like, the fifth episode?

8. Santino

Santino New Member

I was exaggerating a good bit. I also don't like his relationship with Miss M, it's so corny and awkward. Plus I dislike Wolf for some reason, he just seems pointless.

9. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

1- Superboy. I just really enjoy this character. What drives him, his..odd relationship with his father, Superman, and him feeling more like a weapons rather than a real person. Him trying to find his place in the world, just made me love the character.

2- Kid Flash I always like comedy relief characters, and KF really delivers. Also his maturity problems and his denial brings depth to the character rather than just comedy relief.

3- Artemis Artemis' story is just great, her Supervillian family brings her a lot of insecurity while on the Team, I also like her bad girl personality, overall, I love the character.

4- Robin I enjoy the character. Him not wanting to be Batman, and knowing that to let his friends die in an apocalyptic event is the right thing to do. I also like when he plays with prefixes and roots on the English language.

5- Aqualad Aqualad was definitely the right guy to lead. He is calm and reliable, in "Alpha Male" he gained control of the Team, showing he was a good leader. Still dosen't make sense to me why he hasn't been inducted into the League.

6. Zatanna Zatanna is a combination of Artemis and M'Gann, a bad girl type, and at the same time eager to please. Her father's sacrifice and her struggle with losing her father, just made me like the character.

7- Miss Martian I have to say, I am not a M'Gann fan, but I increasingly liked her better in "Image". Her covering up her identity to avoid prejudice, reflects real world problems today.

10. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

I loved that episode, it was probably the most fun I had with the series before I officially gave up watching it.

Oh how should I rank the cast of a show that annoyed me as often as it amused me...

1) Aqualad - calm, cool, collected, level headed, good in a fight, the strong silent type. In other words he annoyed me the least.

2) Robin - lovable jack of all trades, good natured and engaging, though his habit of cutting words in half was more annoying than funny. Thankfully they didn't overplay him despite his iconic standing.

3) Artemis - unexpected mash up of different characters randomly thrown into the mix as the "six ranger" (as TV Tropes & Idioms would call her), the snarky action girl from the other side of the tracks proved far more interesting and engaging than Ms. Martian/M'Gann and held my attention much more than the former. Her, um, "romantic subplot" (if you can really call it that) with Kid Flash doesn't really work though since the latter has nothing going for him.

4) Zatanna - de-aged & re-imagined, but still fun to watch, due in no small part to the lovely voice work of Lacey Chabert.

5) Superboy - standard issue grumpy anti-social loner guy doubling as a kind of mini-Hulk (minus the third person style speech), his subplot of trying to find his place in the world when not angsting over Superman refusing to be more of a father figure to him somehow failed to be compelling. And if his quote unquote 'romance' with Ms. Martian were anymore awkward they'd be Anakin Skywalker & Padme Amidala from the Star Wars prequels.

6) Ms. Martian - the hideous monster pretending to be a sweet, cute green skinned girl in the Star Trek vein with a fetish for grumpy anti-social loners (see #5), I don't know if it was Danica McKellar's voice work or what but this character just came off being more annoying than anything else, and hook up with Superboy just gives me a headache.

7) Kid Flash - the load of the series, the comic relief character who isn't very funny and even less useful on missions, they basically took the DCAU persona of Wally West/Flash #3 & stuck it in a younger body, but somewhere along the way they lost the lovability that Michael Rosenbaum so effortlessly brought to the role. Where Rosenbaum was able to play Wally as a lovable scamp (even when the jokes weren't that funny) Jason Spisak's Wally is more of a spazzy brat who deserves to have bad things happen to him by sheer virtue of his insufferable arrogance and incompetence. If you took him off the roster the team would probably get by just fine without him since he usually amounts to little more than an extra body on the field to throw at the bad guys, most of whom usually punk him in a fight unless they're nameless thugs. And this "spitfire" subplot between him and Artemis that the writers seem so fond of is like watching a car accident happen.

11. reflection01

reflection01 Active Member

The Aqualad = Leonardo connection makes complete sense, right down to the weapons of choice. Good call.

I think Aqualad is too valuable to the Team right now as a leader to move him up to the League. Heck, the Team is too valuable. It's clear Robin will be the next leader and over the series Robin has been making steady strides toward being a leader although it's unclear from his session with Black Canary and his willingness to let Aqualad lead and his reluctance to lead in Image (which I originally thought was gravitas) if he actually wants to lead. They're the only two leader candidates right now. Hard to imagine the others taking on that role. Who would be #3? Wally? M'gann?

It's hard for me to make a ordered list because I see them as a complete team, not really individual characters. The show has done a good job of showing how well they work together. I look forward more to pairings and small teams than individual spot lights. As soon as I think I get tired of a character, the next few episodes give them more depth and add to their story like the last two weeks with M'gann and Superboy.

12. Marvelman02

Marvelman02 New Member

1. Artemis

She has all of the funniest lines, and her bickering with Wally is hillarious. Artemis also posesses a fascinating combination of strength and vulnerability which I find admirable and, well, adorable.

2. Kid Flash

I love it how he can be a goof-ball one moment and strong and heroic the next.

3. Zatanna

She is playful and mischevious. I like that.

4. Superboy

Like Artemis, he has two sides to him. He a lot of anger but at the same time he just wants to belong.

5. Miss Martian

M'Gann is sweet.

6. Robin & Aqualad

You must think I dislike them, but really I don't. I think they're both admirable characters. I've just never found them that interesting.

NOT ON THE TEAM BUT WORTH MENTIONING...

BLACK CANARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, who wouldn't want this lady as their mom or teacher?

13. Nygma

Nygma New Member

In other words a boring stiff. He's like a vanilla Batman.

DCAU persona? This is how Wally West was pretty much in the comics. And how much did DCAU Flash get to do BESIDES being comic relief? This show AT LEAST remembers that Wally has a great mind for science (which NEVER came in to play during JL/U). And he's alot more witty than the DCAU version ever was.

He's a brat? Lets say I would even agree with you, but all the time? Talk about shallow viewpoints.:rolleyes2: This version shows he has more facets to him than just being "the funny guy". Has the whole world gone crazy and forgotten how they MIGHT'VE been irritating to downright insufferable as teenagers?:shrug:

Wally was NEVER in that role in JL/U? RIGHT.:rolleyes2:

Also if it weren't for being great at pure science and him pointing out what to do at certain points. They probably would've all been dead in the episodes Home Front & Humanity. But I guess he's still useless.:rolleyes2:

I know I'm already flirting with disaster by asking this question after responding to everything above, but HOW is it a car crash waiting to happen?:rolleyes2:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  14. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan I Will Find Him!

So your not watching the series anymore? if not you are seriously missing out the 2nd half of the season has been much better than the first half and the first half was awesome aswell.

15. Blackmanba

Blackmanba New Member

1. Robin: While his constant deconstruction of the human language is annoying, his character is pretty fun.

2. Red Arrow: Now that he has joined the team.

3. Artimus: though she tends to be a little over the top.

I don't really care for every one else, but M'Gann's lies are making her more interesting to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2012
  16. graysongirl

graysongirl New Member

1. Robin - Grayson is easily my favorite character of DC Comics, and this show realy does him justice. It shows him as cool, confident, and respected, but at the same time it shows how human he really is. He's not batman, and he doesn't want to be. It shows him at his best, and his worst. Only problem I have is that there hasn't been much focus on him, which is understandable, since he's the most well known teammember.

2. Artemis - dark ties, mysterious past, tough and vounerable, and more snark than one could hope for! Despite her family ties, she's trying to forge her own path, and be her own person. I find her very relatable, and an interesting character.

3. Superbory - his character has certainly gotten the most screen time, (hasn't missed a single episode!!) and as a result he's gotten a lot of characterization. He's no longer "Rahh hulk smash!" and as shown with the New Gods, he could eventually become a good leader. His ties to Luthor were expected, but well played, and his quirks (monkeys!) are funny to watch

4. Miss Martian - I've found her fun to watch from the begining, and never had a problem with her catchfraze, but she never caught my eye either. Artemis seemed more relatable from the start, because of her problems. At first M'gann seemed a bit too perfect, and like she was filling the strong girly member of the team spot. Once she was characterized a bit more, we realize theres a lot more to her than originally seemed! As her roots are realized as darker and darker, she becomes more to watch.

5. Kid Flash - Loud, obnoxious, and immense fun to watch! He's the kind of guy you just want to slap upside the head, but in the nicest way possible! He's got the easiest home life, and started his heroic carreer for no reason other than hero worshiping his uncle and being smart enough to get speed, but in a way that makes him even better, because he's doing this just to help people. Sure he can act selfish, and rude, but he's also really funny and smart!

6. Zatanna - will probably be higher on my list eventualy, but we haven't really seen much of her. She's a lot of fun, and reminds me of that one friend everyone goes to to share secrets and have a good time! She's sneaky but sweet, and tons of fun!

7. Aqualad - I really like him too, I just like everyone else better! He's the strong silent type, and has a bit of heartbreak. He doesn't want to be the leader, but wants to do what's best for the team. He's very loyal, but other than that.. he's cool, but we haven't really seen the new gillhead be anything but calm and collected. Which is fine, but he doesn't have to act so detached all time!

8. Red Arrow - JERK. While he's a fun character to watch, his Artemis bashing has become annoying. It's almost like he WANTS everyone to think she's the mole! Which, technically would be a very too-obvious yet discreet way of throwing attention away from him, should he not be shooting strait... ;) I like his interaction w Cheshire though!

17. Lanmanna

Lanmanna New Member

1. Robin
    Maybe it's because he's my favorite sidekick of all time. He is up there with Teen Titans Robin. It's weird hearing his voice though because it automatically makes me think of Roxas from Kingdom Hearts.

2. Kid Flash
    He's a pistol. He can be crazy one second and serious the next.

3. Artemis
    While, I am slowly starting to like Zatanna more, Artemis has a balanced amount of seriousness and fun.

4. Zatanna
    Seems like a mix between Robin and Kid Flash, which is awesome.

5. Superboy
    Has had many funny moments, even though they weren't intended to be funny. His anger issues are always fun to watch.

6. Aqualad
    If I didn't know which voice actors were voice who and you were to tell me the enthusiast voice actor of Cyborg also voiced the boring Aqualad, I would think you were crazy. Don't get me wrong, Aqualad is a good leader, but he just seems boring.

7. Miss Martian
    Her happy go lucky attitude kinda gets annoying. HELLO, MEGAN!

18. TheFlash4444

TheFlash4444 "Babe you rock."

Man your descriptions and rankings are near exactly what I would have put myself. Very nice dude. Also not to bash anyone's opinion or so on but it always confuses me how people seem to misunderstand Wally for his apparent rudeness, being a brat, being a flirt and annoying overall. This is Wally West here people. He is very outgoing which leads to him being a bit over talkative and flirty towards everyone female he comes into contact with. Also in response to him being immature again Wally West and he's a teenager. Most teenagers (even myself) tend to be immature plus most of the Team had their moments as well but they all have good hearts at what they do. Same with Wally and he has matured incredibly over the series and I feel sometimes that people don't give him enough credit for it. I think immaturity tends to get confused with the ability to have fun and live life. Again he has matured a lot but he will always been that goofy yet adorable and fun Wally that we all know. Anyways sorry to go on but I just wanted to clear this up a bit and nonetheless I still respect everyone's opinions. ;)

19. Skaddix

Skaddix New Member

Artemis: like her personality especially since it differs from MM and the fact she fighting against her family. Also she has basically a complete story in the first Season. Only One. Plus good fight scenes.

Aqualad: Needs more personality, stoic black guys are too common plus being potrayed as sexless object but I do like his power set a whole lot even if they did not do enough with it.

Kid Flash: Fun and Flirty plus picks up trinkets. However, did not get enough quality fights.

Superboy: Somes awesome fight scenes and way better personality once he gets over rage/hulk mode. Plus his issues with drugs storyline was interesting.

Robin: not enough of him, liked his puns though. Plus its Dick.

Miss Martian: Everything I hate in a character. Annoying catch phrase, boy obsession, self hatred, lying to teammates, endangerment of teammates, etc. Honestly, no redeeming qualities in my book. Cool Powers though.

Mod Note to Other Users: User Has Been Notified by a Moderator

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012
  20. Gold Starz

Gold Starz "Evil Resides In Crystal Cove"

TOP TEN:

1. Artemis-- I love her snarkiness, and I've always had a love of archer. She's got such a hard life, having to live with her single, ex-con, wheelchair-bound mother, while her sister and dad constantly try to kill her (more so her dad, but still).

2. Miss Martian (Season One)-- She's such a nice person, despite her heritage and the fact that she was oppressed as a kid. She's been through so much.

3. Zatanna-- Zatanna's kind of a little bit mischievous, but I just gotta love her. Not to mention you have to feel for her after what happened to her dad.

4. Robin/Nightwing-- Dick never got much development, but when he did it was always really good, unlike Superboy, who was pretty much the opposite, which it was switched on how much was spent on them.

5. Beast Boy-- BB's fun, but poor Marie. I just hope he was adopted by Rita and the Doom Patrol. They'd take good care of him.

6. Superboy (Last Two Episodes Season 1/Season 2) -- I really was indifferent with Superboy in Season 1, but Season 2, Superboy is much calmer, smarter, and more mature than last season. Also, he knows when to break up with M'gann.

7. Wonder Girl-- Mae Whitman + Wonder Girl = Win. That is all.

8. Red Arrow-- He was jerk, but I really pity him when he learned he was a clone.

9. Kid Flash-- He's a fun character, but I still don't really get his personality completely.

10. Robin (Season 2)-- We're already getting a hold on his character in an episode not specifically made for his development that ALONE gets him at number ten.

The Mehs:
    11. Bumblebee
    12. Rocket
    13. Superboy (Season 1)
    14. Miss Martian (Season 2)

Bottom 5:
    15. Mal-- Why don't you have one of your MANY superhero identities? Why are you acting as a male Oracle?

16. Batgirl-- Is there some Barbara Gordon as Batgirl cult or something? Why isn't Cass or Steph Batgirl? Why aren't you Oracle, yet? Also, good performance from Alyson Stoner.

17. Lagoon Boy-- Neptune's Beard, only works for Aqualad, La'gann.

18. Blue Beetle-- We'll talk when you get a new VA. Pun Intended.

19. Aqualad-- Do you even HAVE a personality?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2012