1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

favorite Looney Tune cartoons/why I'm here

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Matthew Hunter, May 11, 2001.

1. Matthew Hunter

Matthew Hunter Super Genius

This new board system's great, isn't it? I've even got a unified username now, plus I'm a moderator! I'm now Matthew Hunter all the time, as opposed to the pseudonym "beepbeep". "beepbeep" only came about because the original WBC board was totally separate from the Termite Terrace Trading Post, and the WBC had people using nicknames or silly usernames., whereas the TTTP didn't. I was a member of both at the time the LT/MM page merged with Toonzone, and to avoid confusion I just kept the separate usernames. Well, "beepbeep" and "Matthew Hunter" are the same person if you didn't already know, and when the whole thing moved I just kept my real name, because the TTTP is my most frequently-used board anyway.

But that's enough about me. Since my favorite WB series is the classics, and I'm sure most of you like them, I'll ask a question I don't remember asking on this board before.What's your favorite Looney Tune/Merrie Melodie cartoon, if you could pick just one? LT/MM is talked about all the time on the Termite Terrace board, but since everything's essentially the same now I thought I'd ask this question to a group that needs something to discuss. Challenge each other if you want, and if you don't know the title of your favorite just summarize it, I'll know what you're talking about.
    My favorite, before I hear yours, is probably Chuck Jones' "Feline Frameup", the short in which Claude Cat, Marc Antony the bulldog and pussyfoot the kitten compete for a place to take a nap, only to have a real battle escalate between Claude, Marc Antony, and the misunderstanding master.

-Matthew
    :eek:

2. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

My favorite classic Looney Tune cartoon is the 'Jack and the Beanstalk' take-off, w/ Elmer Fudd playing the giant ("I guess I'll have to open with a pair of Jacks.")

But, in all honesty, my favorite WB cartoon by far is 'Pinky and the Brain.' I *really* enjoy the character interaction, the varied jokes, and Maurice LaMarche's great voice work (Rob Paulsen isn't bad, either.)

Plus, I'm painfully fond of Brain; the cutest little megalomaniac around.

3. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

I don't have one favorite, but I don't have a lot of "conventional" favorites (the ones most everyone says is thier favorite), like "Duck Amuck", which gets dull after you've seen it a few times....

I can never get enough of "A Pest In The House", "Daffy Doodles", "Daffy Duck Slept Here", or "Porky Pigs Feat", "Fresh Airedale", or "Hollywood Daffy", and the Sam cartoons are wonderful too, especially "Hare Trigger", "Buccaneer Bunny", ect....

sorry if I can't answer your question:)

Jack:D

4. don Jaime

don Jaime Active Member

I almost never have favorites. I like too many things to pick out one as my all time best.

But I do think The Dover Boys of Pimiento University, or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall may be the funniest LT ever made.

So, are you going to try to jumpstart the T&S chainlink fanfic one more time? This new board is a lot more conducive to those. You don't have to click a thousand links to read a chain.

5. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Mile-long post coming up!

Okay, I'll spare everyone of the torture. But how else am I going to post every single LT cartoon?! I like every one.

Fine. Have it your way.

1. Rabbit of Seville
    2. Wile E. Coyote & Road Runner cartoons
    3. Symphony in Slang
    4. Duck Amuck
    5. Jack and the Beanstack Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck, and Bugs Bunny thingy
    6. 'Put 'im on the plate, Pop! Put 'im on the plate!' Take a wild guess.
    7. Dover Boys at Pinniped High (these people are weird; they go to a school of fish)
    8. Droopy (any)
      [/list=1]

This is not in any kind of order. Just so you know.

6. Jack

Jack Rabbit of Tomorrow!

The Jack and The Beanstalk one is "Beanstalk Bunny". #6 sounds like a Sylvester and Sylvester Jr. cartoon (possibly "Goldimouse and The Three Cats"), but I could be wrong, and #3 and #8 aren't Looney Tunes.

I forgot about "The Dover Boys of Pimiento University, or The Rivals of Roquefort Hall", I love that one. There's also "Russian Rhapsody", "Operation Rabbit" (the best of that series), "Life With Feathers", "Back Alley Op-Roar", and "Canned Feud".....

Jack:D

7. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Hmm, where to start. I have so many that I like, it's gonna take some serious quality time with my Warner Brothers Animation Database ( http://www.agsprint.com/~ktappe/wb/ --- Okkay, so it ain't 100% accurate). For now, let's see, I really like the toons Pepe (especially where Penelope's chasing him!), and the ones with Foghorn (Of Rice & Hen would be my fave of those I suppose), but my favorite character is Sylvester --- with Tweety, Hippety, Jr., Hippety & Jr., whatever. He's been in contact with me re. ghostwriting his autobiography, & when I finish my research (slow going --- I just saw Tweet Dreams for the first time in years last night) I'll do that, & it'll be quite the story of behind the scenes stuff in American animation in general & @ WBA in particular from the beginning. I'll get back to you on my favorite specific toons, tho there's a story behind the following group of toons: Wild Over You, Dog Pounded, the Porky & Sylvester Chuck Jones toons (except Scaredy Cat), & even No Barking. Later MH.

8. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Surf's Up

My list of favorite Looney Tunes begins and ends with "Rabbit of Seville".

9. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~
    Staff Member Moderator

Egad! You mean I can only pick one? Well, that's a difficult task, if you ask me, poit. Oh, wait, you are asking. ;)

Well, I guess it would have to be at least two favorites that I remember anxiously waiting to air on Saturday mornings.

1. No Parking Hare
    2. Wet Hare
    3. I Gopher You

Did I say two favorites? I meant three. :)

10. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Most probably...I haven't seen that one in a loooooooong time, but I remember a little girl mouse. With blonde curls. Yep, that was it.

Whatever.

Some more that I like: Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaactually, I'd better not. As you can clearly see above, I do not know what the difference between a Looney Toon and............another thing, whatever the 'Symphony in Slang' or 'Droopy' cartoons are, is. And I call myself a fan?! :-{

11. Sharklady

Sharklady Active Member

That graphic of Bugs Bunny and the penguin under Jack's signature reminds me that I always liked that episode, too. It does contain a glaring zoogeograpical error- there are no penguins at the North Pole- but it was heartening to see Bugs help out the little guy.

12. Danielle

Danielle Active Member

Aaaaaaaahhhhh!

I've forgotten 'Robin Hood Daffy'! How could I?! Stupid, stupid stupid!

13. Matthew Hunter

Well, most of the Droopy cartoons were directed by former Warner Bros. director Fred "Tex" Avery, so they DO share a common root. Same with "Symphony In Slang", but they DON'T share a studio with Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies.
    Droopy and many other Tex Avery shorts, (including the "Screwy Squirrel" and "Red Hot Riding Hood" series) as well as Tom and Jerry (William Hanna and Joseph Barbera creations) were MGM (Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer) cartoons. the MGM cartoons were produced by Fred Quimby and later Hanna and Barbera, and subsequent Tom and Jerry cartoon series in the 1960's were produced by some others, most notably Chuck Jones, who used to work for WB. Directors who worked with MGM over the years, many had once worked for WB: Hugh Harman, Rudolph Ising, Friz Freleng ,William Hanna, Joseph Barbera, Tex Avery, Dick Lundy, Michael Lah, Gene Deitch, Chuck Jones, and Abe Levitow.
    The WB shorts (LT/MM) featured such characters as Bugs, Daffy,Sylvester, Porky, Road Runner, Taz, Speedy, etc. They were directed by a ton of folks, most notably Hugh Harman/Rudolph Ising, Friz Freleng, Tom Palmer, Ben Hardaway/Cal Dalton, Jack King, Frank Tashlin, Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, Norman McCabe, Robert McKimson, Arthur Davis, Chuck Jones, and Alex Lovy, to name the major ones. They were produced by Leon Schlesinger, and later Edward Selzer, Friz Freleng and Davide DePatie, Herb Klynn, and finally Bill Hendricks.
    -Matthew

14. Nftnat

Nftnat professor/historian/chronicler

Klynn was the producer @ one point? When? I'd thot John Burton succeeded Selzer & was then succeeded in turn by Jones, & from there I'm a bit lost. But Depatie-Freleng contracted them when it shutdown in '64 until Hendricks got it when they started back in '66. In tv Hal Geer had it @ one point & was ultimately succeeded by Kathleen Helppie(-Shipley), but I'm unsure as to the particulars. What was the succession of producers?

I know, it's not very '90's toons, but I asked this question on Termite Terrace a few months ago, & got no answer.

15. Matthew Hunter

Well, Burton succeeded Selzer, Jones supposedly took over for a brief period, then the studio closed in 1963, and reopened the next year as part of DePatie/Freleng (who were making the 'Pink Panther", "Aaardvark" and "Inspector" cartoons at the time). Then WB ditched D/F and reopened officially again, and Herb Klynn and Bill Hendricks were coproducers for a time, (the first few cartoons) then Hendricks took over for good. Klynn, I believe moved on to TV production for other companies. If I'm not mistaken he died recently.
    -Matthew