1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Klasky-Csupo Show?

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by moose_tracks12, Jul 23, 2017.

1. moose_tracks12

moose_tracks12 Active Member

Klasky-Csupo was responsible for a good number of Nicktoons in the 90s and 2000s:
    Rugrats
    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
    The Wild Thornberrys
    Rocket Power
    As Told By Ginger
    All Grown Up!
    Angelica and Susie's Pre-School Daze

What was your favorite(s) Klasky-Csupo nicktoons?

2. Action!

Action! Active Member

Rugrats by a landslide.

3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I only like Rugrats

Can't stand Wild Thornberrys or As told by Ginger

Aaah Real Monsters is weird

Rocket Power is trash

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

As Told By Ginger is my favorite one. I liked how it was focused on girls dealing with relatable problems. It felt refreshing for Nickelodeon, clicked with me pretty well at the time due to being around the characters' ages when the show was running and it has aged pretty well based on what has aired. It was a really good show that I think gets overlooked pretty often.

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Aaah Real Monsters, most shows were fine but this one really did feel a lot more interesting than the rest.

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Aaahh! Real Monsters! is my favorite. It was darker than other Nicktoons at the time before Invader ZIM came along.

As for the other shows...

Rugrats was good for the first few seasons, then jumped the shark when the first movie came out and was milked bone-dry afterward. (I didn't bother with its sequel shows.)

The Wild Thornberrys was sadly wasted potential. It had an amazing premise--a girl with a fantastic power--and she spends it on boring jungle adventures with her family and pet monkey. If Tim Curry wasn't on board to steal the show, it would've been easily forgettable.

Rocket Power is the worst Nicktoon, period. My cousin watched it a few times and I thought it was awful.

I never watched As Told By Ginger. I had jumped off the Nickelodeon ship long before its premiere and latched onto CN, so I can't really judge its quality.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I find all of them rather boring. Never understood the appeal of a show about babies.

Aaahh Real Monsters is still somewhat watchable, so I will go for that one.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Rugrats and All Grown Up. Rugrats had a cool way of episodes focusing on younger children, while All Grown Up (and As Told By Ginger) were about older kids, when I was younger.

9. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

All Grown Up. While I was never interested in Rugrats, I did like it's spin-off show.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

AAHH! Real Monsters for me. Not only is it my favorite KC show. It was my favorite 90's Nicktoon growing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

Real Monsters. :)

A bit off-topic, but Nick UK used to show KC's Santo Bugito in the 90s, too. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Rugrats - Only the first five seasons (e.g.: anytging before Dil shows up to ruin this show forever.) are any good, IMHO - it doesn't help that once Season 4 saw a bunp in art & animation that continued with Season 5, all the way to the show's end, it wasn't as charming or witty as it was in the first 3 seasons with its core concept anymore. It really should've ended after Season 5, IMHO - but Nick had to get money hungry with it... UGH.

Aaahh!!! Real Monsters -
    Dark humor with non - human characters done right; it's also the only time (IMHO) that KC's otherwise ugly, UGLY artstyle... actually compliments the show it's used for, too. However, not something I'm a hurry to watch reruns of, let alone make my first choice of entertainment, in terms of 90's fare to revisit, unlike.Hey Arnold!, As Told by Ginger, or Rocko's Modern Life, for stuff that does fit that bill of mine.

The Wild Thornberrys -
    Whatever this show did.... Littlest Pet Shop (2012) did better, IMHO (despite LPS (2012) not being all that spectacular or fondly memorable, either, honestly.).

Rocket Power -
    I proudly watch Seasons 2 and 3 of Sanjay & Craig over this, despite my issues with that show. Definitely Nick's worst 90's/early 00's cartoon and also one of Nick's worst shows, QED.

I really, REALLY don't know how anyone could be nostalgic for such garbage, IMHO...

MarsReviews said it best: this show should have been about Raymundo and Tito; they were the best things about what was otherwise a pretty sucky effort.

What we have here is somethinh that the likes of We Bare Bears tops royally, doing similar stuff revolving around modern time pop cultural nonsense. And having much better characters, humor, conflicts, and sentimental monents to boot.

As Told By Ginger - Easily KC's best work in the early 00's, IMHO. Manages to make the Middle school / High school (in later seasons) setting actually interesting and engaging with its core character cast.

However, Carl and Hoodsie are still the most entertaining characters for me - their troublemaker antics were what made this show for me, providing a nice, effective contrast to the other main focuses teen angst drama/comedy, which was otherwise just as good (but nowhere near as good looking) as the likes of something like Daria, for another example of doing this setting and premise justice in Western Animation.

Not as good looking as Hey Arnold!, but a nicely done slice-of-life show from the suburbs to match up against the former's urban setting.

All Grown Up! - I DON'T CARE...

Angelica and Susie's Pre-School Daze - ...ABOUT THIS CRAP.
    Peace.

GAME OVER

• Like Like x 2
    #12 I.R. Shokew, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  13. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

Rugrats.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Rugrats is the only one I would say that I like. It is one of the very few Nicktoons I have nostalgia for. I never really saw much Real Monsters so I really have no opinion one way or the other. I liked a Rocket Power and Wild Thornberrys as a kid, but now not so much. The former was trying way to hard to be cool and the latter was just wasted potential. I hated As Told By Ginger, even as a kid. I don't really remember much about it other than I hated it. All Grown Up was slightly better than Ginger, but that's not really saying much. I have never seen Preschool Daze.

15. Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster Well-Known Member

As I've heard people mention they thought that Klasky Csupo's art style was ugly a few times now, thought I'd post this KC quote engraved in stone at Nick Animation:

16. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

Rugrats and The Wild Thornberrys have to be my 2 favorites. Both have memorable characters and great storylines. I like both for what they are and I think that's what really counts.

17. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My favorite is Rugrats, but really only the first 3-5 seasons. I think the first couple of revival seasons are still pretty good, with the "Mother's Day" special in particular being one of my favorite episodes. The show did lose its charm and wit as Dil and Kimmy were introduced, but I'll say that I do still enjoy the first 2 movies, even with their cheesier moments.

After that, I think Real Monsters has its moments. It's not as clever as Rocko or Ren & Stimpy at their best, but the characters are pretty likable and I dig its aesthetic- one of the few times KC's designs really worked for the series. And while As Told by Ginger has its boring and dumber episodes, I've always given it credit for being a little more daring and honest than other slice of life cartoons. At its best, it could be really interesting.

Their other Nicktoons do little for me, but I did like The Wild Thornberrys Movie. I felt that it had the warmth and stakes that the series should have had on a regular basis while working well as a kid's movie.

18. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I've been told As Told By Ginger is very good, but I sadly missed it due to lack of cable at the time, so I'll take everyone's word for it. Otherwise, my only Nicktoons exposure to this studio is Rugrats and Ahh! Real Monsters. The latter I have not watched in eons (though I should), but I've been recently watching Rugrats in hulu as background noise. I wouldn't say it's an amazing show nowadays as I did back when I was a child, but aside from a neat concept, I appreciate that the earlier Rugrats episode really pulled its punches as far as it could. They genuinely go out of their way with scary imageries, constant bullying from Angelica, and other warped scenarios that truly make the world the babies live in much more dangerous to their eyes than it would be if they were older.

19. JPReckless2444

While Rugrats was my favorite show as a child, it's a tie between Wild Thornberries & As Told by Ginger. Those shows taught me how a cartoon can tell a story rather than being wacky and goofy.

Plus, was Rocket Power really that bad. I wonder if Reggie and Sam hooked up once they grew up? hmmm...

• Like Like x 1
  20. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

While it's maddeningly inconsistent, As Told by Ginger is my favorite Klasky-Csupo production. Some episodes are just brilliant, especially "Hello, Stranger" and "Losing Nana Bishop." I like that Courtney Gripling isn't just some stereotypical rich, bratty popular girl, and that we learn a considerable amount about each character's life outside school. I wanted more backstory on Miranda, but, alas, that never happened. Also, Ginger makes such stunning progress as a character in Season 1, but seems to lose all that development in successive seasons. I'm not a fan of Dodie either (she is literally the worst friend ever). It's got positive points but I just wish that the writers hadn't made Ginger and especially Darren as whiny as they could be at times, especially considering that Ginger and Darren were actually pretty groundbreaking as Nick's first interracial couple.