1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Animaniacs Animation Team

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kazuya Prower, May 20, 2008.

1. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

[And then there's a link to Night Ghoulery that I assume breaks the rule of "No discussion of how to illegally acquire copyrighted material or links to websites promoting subversion of copyright" ... for which I don't want to be cited for another infraction ...]

[And again, another possibly illegal link to Cutie & The Beast.]

Guess I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. These are two very different cartoons ... but both very well executed, animation-wise, in my opinion.

The animation of Yakko, Wakko, and Dot skipping along - in perspective - throughout Cutie and the Beast is very hard to pull off well - an animator's nightmare. The acting is fine. They did a great job overall. There weren't as many opportunities to be goofy, as with Plucky in Night Ghoulery.

Also, I don't know your information source re: how much pre-production direction (script notes, ex-sheet notes & thumbnails, good usable storyboard poses) TMS received for these cartoons, but technically speaking, TMS (and StarToons and Wang and Akom) were the production teams. If anything, without documentation, I would wager that TMS received less guidance on Night Ghoulery, because WB's in-house directors seemed to get a little more finicky as time went by.

2. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Don't get me wrong:

TMS was as talented as ever (and so were you)

But the visuals were less exaggerated and cartoony.

so perhaps it wasn't the AMOUNT of direction given, but the direction itself that changed.

the staging and the acting became more refined, (possibly due to over-scripting)

maybe a better 1st-season comparison would be "Hello nice Warners" (I don't want another infraction, So I'm not going to link to it. All I'm gonna say is that you could probably find it on youtube)

It's a Warner short Executed in a similar way, so It's easier to see the differences in the way the writing/visuals were handled)

The visuals in "Hello nice Warners, IMHO, stand on their own much better and aren't there simply to advance the story in the simplest way possible.

aspects like Mr. Directors face after he got smashed or the warner's wild take when confronted with the extreme Jerry lewis parody just wouldn't be handled with as much design and style in mind later in Animaniac's run. (or they wouldn't be handled at all, since the visuals became so much more conservative)

I really don't know why this is. I've recently tried to ask Rich Arons a similar question, but he only answered half of it.

#62 MattieShoe, May 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2008
  3. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Cutie and the Beast is one of the blandest TMS episodes. The gestures and poses are very stock. And compared to some of their episodes, the actual animation is very conservative.

TMS seemed pretty uneven on Animaniacs, honestly. They had their amazing episodes, but surprisingly some less-than-stellar outings too. I can't think of any below par Tiny Toons TMS episodes, not a one.

I sometimes liked Akom on Tiny Toons ("Cinemaniacs", "Animaniacs", "Fox Trot"), but I truly can't think of any standout outings from them on Animaniacs, with the possible exception of "Cat on a Hot Steel Beam". They just got very bland very quickly, and outside of some moments of fuller animation I didn't really like their output.

It's really a shame Freelance wasn't better staffed. If they had more experienced animators, I could see their shorts turning out as good as Walt Disney Australia, no joke. There were brief glimpses of that sort of thing, but the execution was off.

4. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

TMS handled alot more Animaniacs episodes then Tiny toons episodes, so while some episodes went to their good units, ("Hello Nice Warners", "Hooked on a Ceiling") the others in-production at the same time had to go to TMS's worse units ("HMS Yakko", "Roll over Beethoven", "Taming of the Screwy".) This wasn't a problem with Tiny Toons beacuse TMS opened up late in production when there were only a handful of episodes left to be completed. Interestingly, there are some scenes in "Taming of the Screwy" and "Roll Over Beethoven" that featured Spectacular, Disney quality animation. these sections stand out like sore thumbs against the bad animation during most of these two episodes. (Look for it in the Chaise scene of "Taming of The Screwy' and at various points in "Roll Over Beethoven")

these were handled by TMS's super-unit. the one that was barley used at all. (Probably reserved mostly for features)

Unfortunately, this unit never animated a full Animaniacs cartoon. (probably not a full TTA episode ether)

on the opposite side of the spectrum, look for the bad TMS animation about half-way through "Hello nice Warners" luckily it only lasts a shot.

5. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

By far the best Freelance short on Animaniacs was "General Boo-regard"

it's still a bit awkward, but for the most part better then Wang's usual output.

6. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

I don't think I remember seeing that one. I remember thier work on the "Dot's Poetry Corner" segments, which really weren't bad for their standards.

7. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

Ah, I recall our old song parody "Freelance-maniacs" to the Animaniacs theme. Yep, even there we gave them credit for doing well on General Boo-regard.

8. Kazuya Prower

There has been something about Wang Films I've been wondering about. When they draw the Warners with their eyes halfway open or completely closed, it looks like they added eyebrows on them. Was that intentional or is that supposed to be the outline of their eyelids?

9. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I think it was just one of Wang's peculiarities, like how Freelance gave the Warners limitless eyeball movements and for some reason made Dot's underwear white and frilly instead of plain pink (not that I'm staring intently under her skirt; it just was so obviously different when Freelance did it).

10. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

11. Kazuya Prower

#71 Kazuya Prower, Jun 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2008
  12. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Wow, compare "Karaoke-dokie" to "Star Truck" (by Akom)- there's no comparison. The former has a lot of funny body language and facial expressions (not to mention good comic timing), while "Truck" offers no unique animation in its Shatner parody. If there was ever a short that demonstrated the potential advantages of domestic studios versus the overseas ones, this is it.

And also, not related to animation or anything, but "Star Truck" stole a joke from The Simpsons- "I cannot reach the control panel!"

13. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

It doesn't look like any of the regular A! studios, although the character designs are a little StarToons-esque. My guess is that it was done by some other studio that handled commercial animation exclusively.

14. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

That reminds me:

Jonny,

are most domesically animated commercials handled by an entire studio or a single Animator

I've always thought it was usually the latter.

15. Annie-Mae

Annie-Mae Crazy Person

I just asked Johnny about that earlier in this topic but he didn't say it was Startoons (even though it really looks like their stuff). He even explained about Ads get a higher budget because the sponcers are more picky about what they want.

16. Jonny Mack

Jonny Mack Member

I know when we did commercials, we'd split it up amongst two or three of our better animators (it paid better than the TV series stuff, so it was like a reward for job well done).

Calabash Studio - the only exclusively commercial studio in Chicago that I know about - usually splits their work amongst available guys - I assume two or three.

It's possible that some commercials are done by one animator. There was a Tiny Toons cereal commercial produced by Sinnott & Associates (another Chicago-based commercial house - which has since closed) and they asked me to do the character posing for a pencil test ... and when I saw the final result, it looked like they just cleaned up my pose drawings and added inbetweens. I did that pose test in a day, so I guess I could've done the whole thing.

17. MattieShoe

MattieShoe Member

Sometimes I think Wang doesn't get enough credit for it's work on "Animaniacs"

In addition to being smooth, they could also animate takes well and have very broad poses

(this is especially so in two of their Goodfeathers Shorts: With Three you get Eggroll and Hiccup.

Wang was definitely one of the best Eastern Animation studios (aside from those in Japan anyway)

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

TMS had the best animation. Especially for the Warners. Though I enjoy
    Startoons for it's bounciness, and Wang for it's fun expressions.

I really wish people would outsource to them more.

19. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

To who? Wang? Next to Rough Draft, they're probably the most used overseas studio there is.

20. Hiya Animation

Hiya Animation Animation lover!!!

Hey Jonny... another question...

I was listening to an interview with Mark Kirkland... one of the directors on The Simpsons, and he said basically, how they did a Simpsons episode is that they would pose out the whole episode in LA and then ship those drawings out to Korea to Rough Draft or Akom and the Korean animators would clean up the key poses and inbetween them to create the final animation.

Now, it sounds to me like you guys at Startoons actually had animators go in and animate scenes instead of just inbetweening key poses... however, was there any case on any specific episode where you guys were just cleaning up and inbetweening keys done by the animation director?

Just curious.

I was watching Pinky and the Brain on my iTunes and, judging from this site, most of the episodes are done by Wang or Akom although some are done by Startoons or TMS.

Anyway, I was quite impressed with Wang's work on the episode I saw: Tokyo Grows/That Smarts/Brainstem. It seems to me that their work on P&TB is leagues better then any of their work on Animaniacs!. It's not just the standard TV pose-to-pose inbetweening stuff you see on A! in their episodes.

I was also impressed with the writing in the P&TB episode I saw. I seemed so much sharper then in A!.

#80 Hiya Animation, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2008