1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Favorite Animaniacs Animation Team

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kazuya Prower, May 20, 2008.

1. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

Recently I found this:

http://xoomer.alice.it/animaniacs/stylesiblings.html

1. The pictures on the left column are done by Startoons. While their animation worked really well on Tiny Toons, their models for Yakko, Wakko and Dot seem a tad off. Examples of thier work can be seen on: Broadcast Nuisance, The BIG Candy Store and Wakko's America.

2. The pictures on the middle column are done by TMS. Their animation on this show is the one I like the best. Nice usage of expression and shading. The highest quality of animation of the show. Examples of their work can be seen on: the intro, Hello Nice Warners and
    Hot, Bothered, and Bedeviled.

3. The pictures on the right column are done by Wang Films. I say this is my second best animation team on Animaniacs. Their models of the Warners look cute. Examples of their work can be seen on: De-Zanitized, Super Strong Warner Siblings and Hearts of Twilights.

Which are your favorite animation teams on Animaniacs? If I let out a few animation teams, please let me know.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I have to go with TMS for the win. I've liked TMS's animation ever since I 1st saw CBS's Galaxy High School and the syndicated Blinkins specials. Very fluid movement.

3. Movie06

Movie06 Active Member

TMS just rocks for the obvious reasons people are probably going to list.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

You forgot Akom, Koko, Freelance, Varga, and Phillipine as the other studios on Animaniacs. (BTW, does anybody have any screenshots from the few shorts Varga and Phillipine did? I've never seen those shorts and I want to know how they look compared to the others)

5. Kazuya Prower

Shoot! I knew I forgot something.

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

My favorite team rendering is TMS, for all the reasons Blackstar said, however some of the other teams have given me some of my favorite A! episodes: "Plane Pals", "Broadcast Nuisance", "Meatballs or Consequences" (Startoons), and "Hearts of Twilight", "Super Strong Warner Siblings" (Wang).

7. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

When it came to the Warners shorts, StarToons, Wang, and Tokyo Movie Shinsha all had the best and most impressive animation out of any other studio to work on the show (heck, that's true of any "Animaniacs" segment, really). I think TMS had the best character designs, though Wang's came pretty close on multiple occasions.

If these three studios could have handled the series exclusively, it would have been perfect. I always thought Akom's stuff was too rounded and subdued, and a lot of what Freelance did was just sloppy and poorly timed. (It should also be noted that TMS had a B-team that did drastically subpar work compared to their A-team - look at "Roll Over, Beethoven" or "Home on De-Nile" for an example of what I'm talking about.)

8. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

StarToons did most of the Slappy shorts, which was a good move considering that her facial expressions and antics were suited to that style. As far as the Warner shorts, TMS did the best work I agree. They looked the most like original 1930's style characters when they were animated in that fashion.

9. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

TMS

wait weren't there more companies?

10. Kazuya Prower

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Wang do most of the episodes after the show's move to Kids WB?

11. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

Wang and Akom handled the bulk of the work for the third and fourth seasons. TMS animated one entire fourth season episode and a company called Varga (apparently) animated the time zone song in another season four show.

Akom left after the fourth season (the Akom-animated fifth season premiere was a fourth season holdover) and Startoons came back for a few episodes. Koko came onboard that year and the episode titled "Aquaintences" was animated by a company called Phillipines.

12. Totally_Insaney

Totally_Insaney what is this? i don't even

I like Startoons the best. I love the movements and the expressions. TMS was great too, and probably the best quality animation, but Startoons wins as far as personality goes. Not that TMS and Wang don't have personality, because they do, and I love those three studios' work on A! a lot. I kind of got tired of Wang late in the series when they were doing most of the episodes, though. They were great and all, but I didn't want them animating the entire thing.

13. tb4000

tb4000 Active Member

14. Annie-Mae

Annie-Mae Crazy Person

TMS and Startoons were my favs because they were a little more daring with the movement of the characters and the expressions they used. Wang became too standard but they supplied good cute poses in certain eps. Most of the later season eps had some really poor and restricted animation. It was like they had to make sure verything was on model and perfect, it lost the funniness and cuteness of the characters and Startoons or Wang would draw.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Anyone see the episode "The Carpool / The Sunshine Squirrels"? When I first saw it, I was positive two different animation studios handled the episode, because the look for "Carpool" was different than "Sunshine". "Carpool" was very on-model, rigid, and basically looked/moved a lot like Akom, whereas "Sunshine" was a bit looser, the character designs were a tad rougher, and had many moments where the animation would go on ones.

Yet both were by Koko. Weird. Maybe they had two different sections of the studio working on that episode, I dunno.

16. Kazuya Prower

Ok, after recently watching "Dot the Macadamia Nut" (which was done by Startoons), I noticed a little change of animation near the end of the music video. It happens where Dot sings "Or just plain Dot the name I flirt to, but if you call me Dottie, I'll have to hurt you." The animation seems more fluid and looks nothing like StarToons. If anyone checks this scene, can you make out who did that part?

17. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

No need to ask if "anyone" knows about that one, since the guy who drew that one is on this forum...! Wasn't this one almost entirely your own project, Jon?

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Obviously Jonny Mack could answer your question more accurately, but I would imagine that bit was probably just animated by somebody else at StarToons. I seriously doubt they farmed out that one scene to another studio. ;)

That's one thing I liked about StarToons's work on Animaniacs: With a bunch of new animators, we got a bunch of new styles that still fit the overall StarToons look, but each offered their own personality.

19. Hiya Animation

Hiya Animation Animation lover!!!

I find episodes that are done by Startoons, TMS, and Wang to be the best. Their work is pretty consistently good.

Akom and the other studios were inconsistent. Some of their stuff is good and some of it isn't. Sometimes the animation is fully animated and sometimes it's the standard TV pose-to-pose animation (an example of this would be the short spoofing of the Billy Goats Gruff... can't remember the name at the moment but the animation in that one was the pretty standard stiff TV animation where you could tell the poses were just inbetweened).

20. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

"Take My Siblings, Please", animated by Wang.