1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fat Albert Spoof On Animaniacs

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by launchpad20, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

TV.com is by volunteers; it isn't always right.

2. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I mean if they wanted to look at bad work, they could have at least looked at their Transformers G1 work or Cat Scratch Fever (from Batman: TAS). Both of them with the horrid animation. Akom could have learned a thing or two from their work. I sure do.

3. Keeper

Keeper Active Member

I added the episode to my Animaniacs Handy Episode Manual the day it aired, which was Monday, 8 September 1997.

4. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

I wonder if Lou Schmeier (or Bill Cosby for that matter) ever saw this ep.

5. Super Sonic

Super Sonic Fastest Thing Alive

Please explain this to me. :sweat:

6. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Originally Posted by Moi [​IMG]
    Orson: Isn't that right, Todd AO?
    Todd AO: Why am I here??
    Yakko: You have a funny name.

Well, many members of Fat Albert's gang has strange, quirky monikers (Weird Harold, Dumb Donald, Mushmouth, Bucky), hence the sudden appearance of Todd AO, an otherwise incongruous gentleman in a suit. He 'fits in' with the rest of the gang simply because he has a funny name.

7. launchpad20

launchpad20 Active Member

I'm starting to wonder that, myself. Although, it is kinda funny to think about it. :p

8. Dantheman

Dantheman Active Member

I remember on a SNL sketch in the early '90s Chris Rock appeared dressed as Dumb Donald, but talked like Mushmouth. It's more common than you think.

9. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Hence why he said that the aforementioned cartoon was not the first time Dumb Donald and Mushmouth have been confused for one another. ;)

This was also a running joke on an episode of NBC's NewsRadio; a sub-plot of an episode involved Kathy Griffin's character trying to sell her own homemade Dumb Donald hats, and everyone else at the station kept calling them "Mushmouth hats".

10. launchpad20

This could be the result of 'Fat Albert' not getting much TV exposure these days. People tend to get Mushmouth, and Dumb Donald mixed up due to not seeing the show on TV for so long. :shrug:

11. Animationerd

Animationerd Sweet Dreams LOL

does anyone know where i can find this episode?

12. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

As Mush Mouth would say "Hibee Yakk-bee-o"

13. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Also: I wonder...did Tom Ruegger once work for Filmation in the mid 1980's?

14. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

He sure did, although it was the early 1980's, with him writing episodes for various Filmation titles (including He-Man).

15. launchpad20

Yes, Tom Ruegger did indeed work at Filmation. Along with Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and of course, John Krisfalusi. I have a friend who loves 'Hero High', and he bought the DVD set of that show. When we were watching some episodes on that set, I would ask him run the credits in slow motion, and I would show him Tom Ruegger, and Bruce Timm's names in the credits.

#35 launchpad20, Jul 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2010
  16. Eric B

Eric B Active Member

When I heard about this one, it was one of the things that made me look forward to the Warner-Turner merger, and the familiarization of the Amblin shows on Cartoon Network with the rest of the WB universe. When this occurred, they instead got horrible airplay (despite seeing the "Monkey Song" and the burping song and the state capitals song used frequently as promotional filler; but the shows were pretty much relegated to a weekday morning time slot), and then somehow pulled away by Spielberg himself, and I think put back on Nick or somewhere, where they faded away into obscurity.
    So then I figured I'd have to start getting the DVD's, but they only went up to a couple of seasons, and this episode was the last season, I think.

So I ended up having to watch it online.
    So looking at it again, I would say this is a very good spoof. "Hum, Hum, Hum...I'm Obese Orson, and I'm gonna chant a message to you..."[sticks his pointer finger in the screen just like Fat Albert, and in the other hand, a chicken leg, instead of the piece of junk Albert was using as a mic. Then, the Animanics pull back his finger from the screen]..."Please don't! We suffered enough on Saturday mornings! We just want to have fun". Fun? We better go get the guys!"

All the spoofs were good. They did a good remake of the Ray Ellis Fat Albert score, and the Hoyt Curtin early 60's score for the Yogi spoof, and Scooby Comedy Movie score for the Scooby spoof. DFE was in there too, briefly, when the caricature of Freleng changes Bugs Bunny into the "Grey Panther".

This truly was the "Silver Age" of WB toons; exactly what made the Golden Age so great! Too bad it was so quickly yanked away from the home of the golden age toons. (And with the current policy of WB making a not-so-integrated Turner company pay to air WB properties, it probably won't make any sense to try to get the rights to it back).

I think the racial swap was just to support the spoof, and not for any sensibility or anything. If they made Orson and the others black, it would be too close to Fat Albert and take away from the humor of it. (And then the other characters; two of which are very close to original Cosby Kids, they just made racially neutral with green or purple skin).

Also, I too didn't understand the gag with the guy with the "funny name". I at first thought that was the other guy in control of everything (Plotz) since he was short and had on the same blue suit, but the voice was completely different. (Plotz was Frank Welker). So I looked up "Todd AO" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd-AO and it's actually the name of a post-production company founded in 1953, providing sound-related services to the motion picture and television industries, and also the name of the widescreen, 70 mm film format the company was developed to promote and distribute.

However, I still don't quite get the joke, and why this guy named after this was suddenly stuck in the story there in the clubhouse. Was it a service Filmation used often? (I don't remember seeing the name in any credits). Or was he really an Animaniacs supporting character? (That's what I was looking to see when I looked it up).

17. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

Eric B, you guessed part of the answer.