1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fantastic Four" Reboot Pre-Release Discussion Part Two (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Rick Jones, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I have a hard time understanding what it is that's irking people so much about this movie.
    Too many vague passive-aggressive declarations & exaggerations.
    FOX's better cbm output has been science fiction/socio-political action drama with moments of great levity.

What about these trailers suggest anything worse than the last two-three X-men movies?

2. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

Well nothing, seeing as the last three X-Men movies (First Class, The Wolverine, DOFP) have been really good! And let me answer that, at least to a degree. A lot of people are upset this isn't a Marvel Studios movie, so they want this to fail and have Marvel get the rights back. A lot of people aren't willing to give this a chance, and hearing about the shenanigans Josh Trank has played here and his attitude before this went into production aren't helping. This doesn't count for everyone who has spoken bad about this movie, but it seems to me to apply to a lot. In other words, people aren't willing to give it a chance. For me, I agree that this movie seems to be joyless, which doesn't suit the FF, and it's clear this is straying from the comics, though that isn't a bad thing necessarily. I predict this will be a very good movie, but maybe not a good Fantastic Four movie.

3. Mostezli

The behind the scenes stuff, IF true, is disheartening, but I know very well that happens in the film-making process,
    sometimes to the detriment of the film & other times, not so much.

The latest trailer injected "joy", the kind I knew would show up with the creative talent involved.
    It just so happens that Trank is sticking to his guns on making the N-zone & the transformations understandably horrific.
    The Ultimate comics route is apparent.I should get around to reading those instead of relying on wiki.

4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think Michael B. Jordan was actually very respectful and understanding to how fans feel about his casting, and tried his best to see where they're coming from and why he thinks he's right for the role of Johnny.

I'm not completely all for a race-changed Johnny in the movies myself, but I think Jordan is a good fit for the character as an actor (setting aside race) and I think he has been very respectful, especially considering the level of fan-hate he's received for his casting and the movie in general. That's pretty commendable in my book :).

This is basically why I'm not really looking forward to it. Do I want Marvel Studios to get the FF rights back and see Marvel's first family in the MCU alongside most of their other famous properties? Yes. Not to mention their villains and mythos would really help expand the MCU.

But I wasn't going to hold that against the movie, so long as what we were getting looked and felt more like a Fantastic Four movie then what they're actually going for. I don't think Trank's aesthetic and what he's setting out to do with the FF, taking their concepts and mythos and going really hard Sci-Fi and more "realistic," is really the approach I would want taken for the FF :ack:

But that's me, and I can perfectly understand why someone would be fine with that approach, and it certainly doesn't mean the movie will be bad ;).

Though after Trank's comments about Susan Storm, I'll never be fully okay with handing him the reins of the FF :mad:.

5. Tohya

Tohya deficit omne quod nasciture

Really? I thought it'd be pretty cut and dry. Its irksome because this movie only exists so that the rights don't revert back to Marvel and so far movie comic book history has taught us that rebooted CBM's don't really work out...at all. What didn't work once, isn't going to all of a sudden work a second time just because you rebrand it. Especially now in a time where we're already seeing the superhero fatigue start to set it. To me, this movie only exists to add nails to the Comic Book Movie coffin. I mean lets be honest, people are only rooting for this movie because of the internet backlash and the marvel fanboi bias, and not really because they believe crazy ole Trank has created a gem in the overcrowded comic book movie landscape.

• Like Like x 1
  6. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I was clarifying for Spideyzilla that I was saying those entities accomplished what you were saying needed to be done.

7. Mostezli

Yeah, cross me off that list.
    I love the cast.
    Chronicle's approach, minus the found footage part obviously, I have been looking forward to since Trank was announced.
    Kinberg has been involved with some of my favorite/enjoyable movies.
    And those trailers supplemented my excitement. I've already made it clear on my thoughts of the BTS nonsense.

Also, 4 comic book movies this year, 3 of them about superheroes. That's it. Any other year might feel "overcrowded"

#127 Mostezli, May 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
  8. Spideyzilla

Rebooted CBM's don't work? Sure they do. The Dark Knight trilogy is probably the best example, but it's not the only one. I didn't care for the first Amazing Spider-Man movie, but I kind of seem to be in the minority, plenty of people loved that one. The Hulk has become one of the most popular characters in the MCU, and that's a reboot. There's also Daredevil, a reboot which lead to arguably the most acclaimed superhero TV show out there. Yes, this movie only exists so the rights don't return to Marvel, and I agree this movie is being made for all the wrong reasons. But that doesn't mean the movie itself can't be good. I also don't see superhero fatigue setting in. Look at the box office total for AOU. Heck, look at the totals for Guardians Of The Galaxy, a totally unknown property. And I have to be honest, I don't see many people rooting for this movie online. I know I am, but it's got nothing with Internet backlash or anything, it has to do with my feeling this will honestly be a good movie, if not a good Fantastic Four movie, as I said before.

9. Tohya

At this point you have to assume this was the exception to the rule.

Ehhhh....despite the decent reception of the first movie, Sony still had the entire franchise scrapped in the end.

His solo movie is almost always considered one of the weaker movies of the MCU, not to mention the reboot failed to garner any interest in the actual Hulk (it was barely successful). Hes one of the most popular characters in the MCU because of the first Avenger movie, not because of the 2008 movie.

Thats tv but you're right. Ehhh.... let reiterate my point. When you're rebooting a franchise just so you don't lose the rights, I don't think it ever ends up working in your favor (i.e Spider-man)

You don't need to be a psychic to predict the future and considering all the problems this movie has had in production, its not hard to predict that it might end up being a mess. My problem is that Fox probably has really low expectations for this movie and outside of a completely box office bomb, any profit this movie makes will more than likely be a success in there eyes. Which means that somewhere in 2017 we're going to get a sequel to a potentially mediocre film which by that time all of the general movie going public will probably be in the throes of CBM fatigue (Deadpool, Batman v Superman, Captain America 3, X-Men: Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, Gambit, Doctor Strange Wolverine 3, Guardians Of The Galaxy 2) I mean..honestly I hope this movie is good. I really do. And to address your points, AOU has grossed considerably less money than it predecessor. Heck, at this point its barely making Iron Man 3 money. Yes, that sounds absurd to say but its lower box office total could mean nothing...or the start of something.

10. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I've kind of intrigued now by this movie. I really like Kate Mara and Michael B Jordan. And I've done a complete 180 on Miles Teller after watching Whiplash. I might check it out when it comes out. I've been complaining about Marvel studios recent output being too samey so this being a departure might be what I'm looking for.

11. Spideyzilla

AOU currently sits as the 6th highest grossing movie of all time, and has grossed considerably more than Iron Man 3. It also hasn't finished its run, though it is in the second half of that run to be fair. It's doing fine. I would argue there are a number of factors as to why it's not doing as well as the first one did, though I think word of mouth is a big thing. People largely seem to like AOU, but a lot of us seem unanimous it's not as good as the first one, meaning word of mouth won't be quite as strong. It also wasn't as much an "event" as the first one was, to finally see all of these characters together. I remember the audience bursting into applause when the title for the first movie came up. "Marvel's The Avengers." It was an unbelievable thing. A sequel was never going to be as special. That said, you're right, superhero fatigue will eventually happen. I just think we're a long way away from it.

12. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

The DCAU is a good example. While it definitely had some dark stories, most of the lighter but not outright comedic ones were serious enough in tone to be taken seriously. When I was a kid, I preferred it to the Filmation kind of shows because it was less campy and you could take it seriously at face value without it descending into ultraviolence and darkness.

13. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I'm going to Boycott this movie at all cost hoping that Marvel get their rights back so Marvel can put out some merchandises out there. What do Fox get for holding on to their rights nothing. Fox will be better off making stuff that they own.

Fox screwed themselves when they played hard ball unnecessarily with Marvel. Now with Marvel not doing merchandising or toys, the only revenue Fox will receive is from box office receipts and even then Marvel gets a cut of it. So if the budget is $120M +promotions of $50M(going lightly here), Fox would really need for this thing to make $200M to make a profit. It makes no sense to make $180M DOM and continue to churn out movies that bleed money.

#133 dmxx116, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
  14. Mostezli

The week it comes out, there is barely any competition. It should do just fine in the months, thereafter. It's only real competition would be Ant-man; quite the interesting duality. When the general audience sees F4 as just another movie about super-powered people AND it's PG-13, it should do just fine financially.

15. Tohya

.........not really. Ant-Man comes out like three weeks before F4. If anything Mission Impossible 5 might actually be its only competition even though quite a bit of movies are being released on August 7th. Anyways, I honestly think the movies word of mouth will determine whether or not it makes any money. Surprisingly enough, it seems that with CBM, reviews tend to have a huge say in the opening weekend box office reports. If Trank is able to catch lightning in a bottle again than it might actually make a profit.

16. Mostezli

To be fair, Chronicle was made on a 12 mil budget. All those found footage movies make a proft, even the scifi's around this cost.
    I don't expect Fanatastic 4 to turn up 10 times its budget.

I also forgot about Minions, Terminator, and Pixels, which could likely be the 2nd/3rd dominant if not the dominant blockbusters for weeks.

17. Mostezli

18. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Ah, so Sue's apparently the adopted one.

I really hope we get to see the team in their costumes for more than a few seconds, like pull a Generation X TV movie and only show them in costume for the last 5 seconds of the film. Those jumpsuit things just aren't cutting it.

#139 Silverstar, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  19. Alferd Deen

Alferd Deen New Member

I have seen fantastic 4 trailers were awesome and I hope the whole movie will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.