1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Fantastic Four (2015)" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Aug 7, 2015.

?

"Fantastic Four" - Discuss and Rate this Movie!

1. *****

5.6%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

5.6%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

22.2%
  8. *1/2

5.6%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

61.1%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

[​IMG]

Fantastic Four
    Release date: August 7, 2015
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Director: Josh Trank
    Screenwriters: Simon Kinberg, Jeremy Slater, Josh Trank
    Starring: Michael B. Jordan, Miles Teller, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell, Toby Kebbell, Tim Blake Nelson, Reg E. Cathey

Plot Synopsis: Fantastic Four, a contemporary re-imagining of Marvel's original and longest-running superhero team, centers on four young outsiders who teleport to an alternate and dangerous universe, which alters their physical form in shocking ways. Their lives irrevocably upended, the team must learn to harness their daunting new abilities and work together to save Earth from a former friend turned enemy.

Discuss this Movie!

Related Discussion:
    Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
    Fantastic Four (2005) Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Thoughts on this movie

When I was a kid though I had heard of super heroes and had seen bits and glimpses of maybe a comic here and there, I didn't really know anything about any of the major players. Though I'm still not someone whose really into comics I generally know and have seen enough related material to at least be informed then the general movie goer. And that may of started with the Fantastic Four. I can't exactly time out my childhood exactly to recall the specifics of how each memory fit compared to the other, but I do know my first likely exposure to any super heroes came from getting Cartoon Network when I was about 10 or 11, and watching a good amount of the back log of shows it had on at the time. So the first series I remember watching was either Batman the Animated Series, the Super friends, or the 1967 Fantastic Four series. FF I know is the first one I became a "fan" of and watched a lot of because I remember seeing the Cartoon Network Saturday super chunk block of it where they showed back to back at least 6 episodes of any featured show. In fact I even remember two of the episodes from that were the one that debuted the Moleman as well as the one that revealed Doctor Doom's history, and those are the two biggest FF baddies. But I had stuck in to watch the "action" and "characters" of that era which I do remember enjoying. And though the Fantastic Four aren't the first Marvel heroes technically, they're really the first of the main Marvel era, and certainly the first I was ever aware of.

And though they still remain icons and have had various other related media in the years (including the 90's FF series which I saw an episode of as well as the 2006 anime looking series which I did see a chunk of when it aired on Toonami and being... mixed on) cinematically the four have never really made any major lasting impressions. There was that first "attempt" in 1994 which was really just an excuse for the rights to be held by a certain company to create a Fantastic Four movie no one would even ever see which is seen as an embarrassment of cheesy, ridiculous cheap proportions. The other attempt for Fox to acquire the license and hold onto it pair of movie in the 2000s which were... adaqueate at best and seen as lame failures at worst. I remember being okay with the first movie and that at least having the first real super villain ending battle but it doesn't really hold up at all and the second movie was even weaker, known more for pushing most of the cast to the side and tarnishing Galactus's name by making him a space cloud. And now we've arrived at this movie which... is like the third attempt to make a FF movie fairly quickly to hold onto the rights for it. This time again by Fox who were like literally centimeters from having too long of an FF film fall between their fingers and having the rights revert to Marvel before they started work on this movie. Which honestly at first seemed incredibly promising: instead of Roger Corman or Tim Story, helming this film is Josh Trank, the man behind Chronicle. Which to me is still like one of the best found feature movies ever and honestly even works as a super hero origin movie. And hey studios have taken risks on people who have no expierence with that whatsoever so why not chance it with someone who does? Well based on reviews that's a bad idea and this movie isn't expected to open even with that much. Like it could be lower then Ant-Man who was at least a critical success while this certainly isn't. Still I don't care what the critics think. I judge a movie first by my thoughts on it and then check on what others think. So having in a sense grown up in some form with the FF over the years how does this cinematic outing work?

.... This may be one of the worst super hero movies I have ever seen and even among FF films, this one doesn't rise above them, and to tell you why check the spoilers.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Fant4stic is an abomination. It goes from a painfully boring first act to a painfully stupid second before ending on a rushed denoument that leaves you feeling apathetic and angry about the whole process. Hell it makes the Tim Story movies from ten years ago look UNDERRATED in comparison

This movie is so bad that even the most diehard Marbros (aka the kind that like Iron Man 2) are going to look incredibly disingenuous trying to defend something so bloody soulless.

It is quite possibly the worst comic book movie ever made, and I've seen Man of Steel.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

@Neo Ultra Mike
    @Lord Dalek

Thanks, guys. Now I definitely ain't going anywhere near this movie. Then again, I knew it would be awful, seeing as it's just a reboot. A reboot front-lined to remove the stench of 2 bad movies that came seemingly before it.

Seriously, the only good Fantastic 4 thing I ever remember us getting amongst this garbage is that animated series from Marathon, way back when. Guess that ain't changing anytime soon, at least in my honest opinion.....

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I kinda want a start a parody thread where we take fun/cheesy things and then ruin them for cheap angst and pathos. I almost see where that Teen Titans Go/Young Justice crossover was coming from. Almost. And then I remember that Young Justice was nothing like this.

6. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Again Man of Steel at least had good battles and action going for it. Granted the consequences were sort of horrible but at least it was intense action and you I at least could understand the villain's motivation without it feeling incomplete and pointless. I don't know if this is the worst comic book movie ever. It's certainly at least the worst since X-Men Origins Wolverine, but there are plenty of terrible boring and just plain poorly conceived comic book films from years ago. Then again, in those days you didn't either have the budget or the fan boy audience to warrant such large scale movies as we've got. Seriously in an era where Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man can put out much better material, this may be the worst in just plain comparison honestly.

Well there's nothing wrong with just having a reboot. The Amazing Spider-Man was a reboot made to not only remove the aroma of the "bad" movie that preceeded it but like this movie to try and keep the rights away from Marvel so they could continue getting money from the property. However despite the issues of the Amazing Spider Man films the characters and the energy of them were actually really good and there was actual drama in the stories which... yeah certainly isn't the case for this movie.

Well there's nothing wrong with going dark in theory. The problem is the execution. Though like Teen Titans Go "Let's Get Serious" it is very hard to see the point of what this even is suppose to be or say due to it's wonky delivery.

Honestly as someone who really loves Chronicle and can see bits of that seeped into this movie, I think the biggest problem here even more then other Marvel movies is studio inteference. The FOX team wanted a specific look and feel for this movie and wanted to put in various elements no matter how much that went against with what Trank tried doing and... yeah we got this malarky.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Oh god... I just heard that Fox still has another 7 years to hold the rights... I- Is that true? I sincerely hope not!

8. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

If I'm Fox you might as well sell it to Marvel to make some type of money off of it, This movie is a lost cause.

9. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The behind-the-scenes drama appears to have more of a story than the finished movie itself.

Wasn't that the point of the Power/Rangers short fan film? How fun IPs get remade into something they are not. That fan film made the Power Rangers R-rated and that made some people think that was going to be the actual tone of the Lionsgate movie. F4's results are going to make sure Lionsgate doesn't release something like this in 2017.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So the film wasn't good, but maybe not quite as terrible as I thought it would be. The acting is good, and the first half has some good moments. But it goes downhill once they get their powers.

Doom, once again, is a joke. He has no given motivation, his powers aren't explained, and why can't we get a faithful costume? Also, the climax was so lame. Eh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Why can't Doom just be a Latverian dictator/mad scientist who has diplomatic immunity?

12. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

The rights give them control of the Four as well as their villains, and other elements Marvel could use in film and TV. Having full control also allows Marvel to got full out with Merchandising and Cartoons, without the fear of promoting another studios property.

13. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The Cinemascore reflects the Rotten Tomatoes numbers, as Fantastic Four has received a "C-," the lowest of all ranks currently on the main page. The "C" can stand for "catastrophe" in this case, because it is rare to see the Cinemascore sink that low for a superhero movie. For comparison to other poorly reviewed movies this year, Pixels got a "B" and Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 got a "B-" Cinemascore. A Cinemascore like that should guarantee a terrible run at the box office, and moviegoers do not like this movie, which is reflected in the audience numbers on Rotten Tomatoes as well.

#13 Tommy Lawson, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  14. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

They have to make a F4 movie every 7 years to keep the rights, so yes. This movie bought them another 7 years.

15. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

You know what? If FOX still wants to continue behaving like a "needy greedy" child who refuses to share his toys and hold on the F4 rights some more, protest.

Spread the word, protest. Not "signing petitions" or anything like that, instead make it an Internet wide campaign towards FOX to show them how much the fans despise their actions and that Marvel DESERVES the Fantastic Four film rights.

16. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Out of most marvel movies in this decade this one surprised me that it saw poor reception and did not do better than its predecessor, and its going to see a sequel hopefully they finally making it with better thinking.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

Sequel?....hahaha...you wish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There is a very easy way to do so this weekend. If you're going to see a movie, see Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. That has great reviews, and it staying at #1 would mean 20th Century Fox cannot advertise F4 in its second week the way it wanted to. Think of how the write-up articles on the box office weekend will read tomorrow if F4 is #2.

19. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

So, Fox still wins?! <:-(

20. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Not necessarily. Movie might open in first but with paltry numbers. No one comes out a winner with this turkey.

• Agree Agree x 1