1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fantastic Four (2005) on Disney XD?

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by TheLemsterPju, May 9, 2015.

1. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I believe it was last night that they showed the first (FOX-owned) Fantastic Four movie on Disney XD. When I stumbled across that on the TV Guide, I couldn't believe it. Marvel has been avoiding them as much as they could....and here they advertise it.

...It opens up a few questions.

1. Why would Disney/Marvel advertise a FOX film on their channel. Wouldn't that be free promotion for the reboot?

2. How did they get the rights to show it?

3. Call me crazy, but is this a sign that there's something going on between FOX and Disney, that's Marvel-related, that we haven't heard about yet?

EDIT: Would this be the right section to post this? Or the "Entertainment" threads?

Mod Note: Live-action discussion goes on The Entertainment Board, save the odd exception approved by mods.

2. gmster

gmster Active Member

Disney licenses movies from third-party companies all the time. ABC aired Batman Begins a few years ago. It's not a big deal.

3. Cookiefication

Cookiefication ¯\(º_o)/¯

I'm more curious as to why Doctor Who is airing on XD. Is there a proper explanation for this? It only appears to be one episode.

4. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Doesn't Disney still earn money from the Fox and Sony Marvel films via royalties for the Marvel characters and the merchandise?

5. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

They own money from the merchandise from the Sony films but not the Fox ones. This is allegedly part of the reason why there was absolutely nothing in the way of toys for Days of Future Past despite all the hype around it.

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Yes, but not a whole lot. It's part of the reason Marvel started self-producing movies.

From the press release:

7. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

Does anyone here recall if Disney XD ever showed Fox's X-Men movies?

8. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

In a word, no.