Fanfics and Legal issues...

Discussion in 'Story Board Workshops' started by EJLD4Ever, Aug 12, 2008.

1. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Hello, all! I am a newbie with a question I need answered. After seeing fan fictions and fan art of many shows posted publically online, I cringe at the thought of how the authors/artists had to obtain permission/rights to post their works. And to be honest, I have written several fanfics, but NEVER bothered to get them published at this point (to prevent lawsuits). Cowardly as it is, I need my questions answered before I am convinced it is safe to do so:

How exactly do you obtain permission to post the fanfics/fan art?
    Who do you contact? The studio? The series creator? The network who "owns"/airs the show? Who?
    Do they expect payment of any kind? How much?

Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated...

2. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

I'm neither a lawyer or a fanfic writer but I do have a general familiarity with these topics and will tell you all I know, for what it's worth.

By definition fanfic is almost always written and posted without the knowledge or consent of the actual copyright owners. It is virtually unheard of for copyright holders to take legal action against fanfic writers. Which is not to say they couldn't sue you in theory but since most fanfic authors never earn a cent of their work, it's not worth the effort. General rule of thumb, as long as you don't try making any money off you writings, your safe.

Unless you have serious aspirations to become a professional writer; I wouldn't bother contacting Disney with your script for Darkwing Duck: The Movie and even then they won't accept unsolicited material.

As I said above, fanfic is by definition unofficial and unaffiliated with the copyright holders. You don't need their permission or to pay them a cent.

No sweat, but as I said I'm no expert on these things. My best advice for you is to wait until you get plenty of feedback from actual fanfic authors before you make a decision.

#2 AlgeaX, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2008
  3. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Thanks for Everything! I shall try to get my fanfics published as soon as I can. You have given me peace of mind knowing I will be safe.

P. S.: Although slightly OT, but on a similar note, I assume the same goes for fan art, does it?

#3 EJLD4Ever, Aug 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  4. AlgeaX

AlgeaX Oh, hello?

Yes but as I said before, I've never written fanfic or drawn fanart, so you should probably get advice from people with actual experience with this stuff.

#4 AlgeaX, Aug 13, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  5. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

I have written fanfic, and I draw fanart often - generaly speaking, the copyright owners could care less about your fanverse. Most people play it safe by adding a disclaimer at the top of their fics or somewhere on their pictures. Like so:

[​IMG]

But, keep in mind that none of it's for profit. Fanfic and fanart is strictly "for the lulz" - which is why it can exsist without massive lawsuits. :B Well... unless it's a doujinshi, I'm not entirely sure how that one works other than the books are self published and have limited circulation and things. o_O

Edit: And where the heck did the spoiler thingy go... >.>