1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fan-Made Timeline for entire DCAU (including comics)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by UltraHumanite, Aug 22, 2012.

1. UltraHumanite

UltraHumanite New Member

This has been a labour of love of mine for many years now. It may not be particularly timely... but if anyone is considering giving the DCAU a rewatch anytime soon, you should consider giving this a try... It's a fan-made timeline of every episode, film, and comic in the DCAU, reordered so there are no continuity errors, and so each year is structured like a season, with a premier and finale.

There are three main reasons that I made this timeline:

1) There are major differences between the airdate order, and the production order, both of which contain continuity errors. Why, even the DVD order "cheats" by placing two-parters next to each other, thereby changing the order. If they can do it... then I can do it better.

2) I don't particularly like either of the orders mentioned above. The seasons of the various series' aren't really structured very well, specifically the B:TAS episodes. I can't really blame them, because animation production means that more thought is given to getting the episodes finished on time. This new timeline structures each season with a very clear premier and finale, as well as spacing similarly themed episodes apart and keeping reoccurring characters like Joker or Darkseid from reappearing too close to each other. It's much more thematically effective.

3) I love the DCAU comics. I think that there are some very deep stories told, and many interesting character arcs, especially for the Gotham characters, are completed or continued in the comics. Yes, if simply read in order concurrently with the series', there are in-numerous errors. However, I have painstakingly checked and rechecked each issue and episode so as to put them in an order that not only has a consistent pattern and thematic relevance, but is continuity friendly. There are still a few minor inconsistencies (like Supergirl switching between being vulnerable and not vulnerable to Kryptonite, and Luthor's one evening wearing a red toupee), but these things are unavoidable. I've also worked hard to include the INCREDIBLE Dark Knight Adventures and Batman Beyond: Stripped series' made by World's Finest Online.

THIS IS 100% FANNON, and you don't have to agree with it if you don't want. But, if you'd like a more structured season-by-season guide to the DCAU, including EVERYTHING, then you should check this out. Want to see The Riddler reform? Want to see Mr. Freeze and Captain Cold team-up? Want to see Supergirl defeat a monster in the Batcave? Want to see what really happened to Poison Ivy? Want each season to have an epic premier and finale? And most of all want to not be scratching you head why there are two A.M.A.Z.O.s, and why Wonder Woman already knows how her lasso of truth works before JLU? Then check this out.

This is pure fun, very complete, and as perfect as it's going to get. I hope some of you enjoy, and feel free to copy and post this as much as you want. Even though I have scoured over this hundreds of times, please let me know if you find any subtle errors.

Enjoy!

A Few Notes:
    I have not included the Gotham Girls or Lobo web series', not the DTV films Mystery of the Batwoman, or Brainiac Attacks due to issues of quality and continuity. My life is better without them. If you really like them, feel free to include them in your own version.

The Lost Years # 4, and Batman Beyond (Limited Series) # 1 are both adaptations of episodes. However, they have exclusive material in the openings. I have included them in the timeline, but only the opening needs to be read.

I have separated the Batman, and Batman Beyond sections of "The Trail of Bruce Wayne" from The Dark Knight Adventures 9-12. I think this series is really powerful when read in order of continuity, so I have taken that artistic liberty. Obviously, you can do as you please when reading through.

The B:TAS episode "House and Garden" and the S:TAS episode "Absolute Power" have subtle continuity errors with comics that were published after them. I have moved them to later points in the continuity then their original season to amend this error. It works just fine.

Due to continuity, there are a few times where Batman's costume changes back to a previous series' look. Deal with it.

Many issues that are impossible to place within the series, I have attributed to an area called "The Lost Years". This time is set between Darkseid's third invasion of Earth in the finale of JLU, and the alluded to "Near Apocalypse of '09". As such, alot of things happen "off-screen", including Shayera wearing her armour again, John Stewart going back to his pre-JLU hairstyle, Green Arrow dying and Connor Hawke taking over, the entire GLC being decimated besides Kyle Rayner, and Superboy being either created by Cadmus or becoming public.
    By the way... this forum messed with my formatting. If you'd like a .doc version, let me know.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zergrinch

Zergrinch Member

Do you consider the current Batman, Superman, and Justice League Beyond comics to be continuity? There's specifically a story there which explains how John Stewart gravitated to Shayera (when he was engaged to Vixen), and how Warhawk got his wings.

3. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Sorry to bump, but this fascinated me (having written 90% and drawn 80% of the World's Finest "Dark Knight Adventures" comics here when I was a college boy) seeing the whole timeline with the kind insertion of our humble work, is, well, very humbling and fascinating. To be honest, I don't remember half of what we did so I can't contest anything used here. Impressive as a big project and very touching personally. In regards to the DKA project, been a decade since we did these, so we will have something to commemorate it this year.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reverend

Reverend Stop that or you'll go blind!

If memory serves, while doing DKA we didn't spend a lot of time working out the exact chronology of the stories. Mostly I think we just tried to avoid any direct contradictions with only a general idea of when things took place. I do remember that while doing BB Stripped we had to adjust things a little since JLU was still airing at the time.

Specifically "Superwoman" was originally meant to be Kara, but then the Legion episode happened and we had to alter things on the fly. Quite fortuitously as it turned out as IMO casting a redeemed Galatea in the role made for a more interesting story and much more interesting character development.

I think we also batted around the idea of a *very* brief "glimpse of the future" that would have shown things 20+ years after JLU's epilogue. Ideas included Terry & Dana's daughter as a Cassandra Cain inspired Batgirl, Max as Oracle, Kara & Braniac 5's progeny and maybe even a half Amazon half-sister for Terry. ;)

Very impressive work on the chronology BTW!

5. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Better memory than me!

Yeah I remember some -oh balls- moments. Yes I think you're right on Supergirl. Yes you are lol. Really should have kept those old emails. There were a lot of discussions on continuity so it's nice to see someone try and fit it in because we were doing just that. I remember there was a lot of nerves for me on JLU over whether the Spectre was going to get a reveal when that was a trump card for the news strip. It was sort of fun not knowing where and what would be revealed in the show and trying to work it in. I had a look over the run the other day as I remembered so very little of it. Jim says it still gets looked at, which is really nice to know. News Strip is my proudest moment for myself and Kris, simply because it carried the traits of a good story - mystery, a continuing theme (which Batman would die) and as many fan nods as we could possibly muster.

Though from the comic, death of Terry I was pleased on a re-read and the final episode with Dick ramming his plane into the building to rescue Bruce.

It sounds like I'm blowing our trumpet, but after like, 4-5 years, looking back is like reading afresh, its genuinely interesting to see it from a distant perspective. I can see horrid faults (mine) and some wins. So all good!

6. Reverend

Reverend Stop that or you'll go blind!

The strip format certainly allowed for a much greater degree of flexibility than the full length DKA issues. Early on (before my time) it wasn't such an issue since the main Batman animated shows were over and IIRC early on in the Justice League series it was cartoon they were mostly avoiding any direct connections to BTAS etc. By the time we got to the end, JLU had happened and that show went crazy on continuity.

Thinking back we got pretty lucky in this regard. Not sure about the timing, but I'm pretty sure when we started using Le Fey, we never explained why Mordred wasn't with her. We just proceeded on the assumption that *something* had happened to him in the intervening decades. Lucky for us 'Kids Stuff' aired while the strip was still being made so we suddenly didn't really need to address it. Personally some of the most fun I had on the job were the continuity discussions we had, working out things that we had no intention of directly addressing but needed to work out to make sure we stayed internally consistent.

For example, I remember how we sketched out a whole back story for Scarecrow, explaining how he got from that creepy bloke in a costume from TNBA to that inhuman thing we see in BB Stripped. I don't recall all the details but it involved him being mortally wounded for some reason or another after his last known appearance and found by Poison Ivy who goes all Florence Nightingale. In what might just be the most disturbing love story ever conceived, she falls for him and saves his life by re-engineering him into an all but immortal tree-like form. He wasn't even really human shaped. Under that cloak he was just a head with a mass of willowly roots and vines that he twisted into an approximation of a humanoid form. As for what happened to Ivy...I think he kills her but keeps a cutting and preserves it in a hydroponic bulb. None of this made it into the story, but it was the kind of thing we needed to nail down to make sure we maintained internal consistency. It was also very useful to have that fixed point from which we could extrapolate his motives and personality.

No idea how the likes of Timm and co managed to keep everything straight across what? Four or five distinct shows spread over a good 15 years? When you look at it like that it's really impressive how they managed to get so many elements to converge in the Cadmus arc, *especially* since 90% of it was done on the fly without any long term plan.

7. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes I remember that! We had that DKA bit where he's thrown down a ravine in the Batcave and gets washed up in some eddie and found by Poison Ivy. So in our world, to some degree, and I don't THINK its been contradicted, the DKA issue where he plummets is the last he's seen until Batman Beyond. I THINK we talked about the idea (or its in the strip, I genuinely don't remember), that his tree form was bio-engineered using his own fear toxins, which he was now addicted to, so was like a serial killer, needing to drain the fears of others to keep himself alive, taking his fixation fear to a biological necessity. He'd stayed hidden, drinking people's fear, keeping underground, but the addiction needed greater and greater quantities... or something lol. There was definitely a big fixed backstory I don't think we ever did that explained why he was so quiet. I think it was because his need was so insidious and personal, he was very good at staying in another corner of the world and out of sight, feeding like a vampire.

Oh those happy ghoulish memories!

8. iammattie

iammattie New Member

Sorry for the bump on an old topic, but I've been working on a timeline of my own, and I've been looking at other timelines as part of the research process. Currently I've been focusing on the future era, so when I was going through your LOSH list, I got confused that "Far From Home" wasn't included (seeing as the Legion appears and Braniac 5 states they were in the 31st Century), also that Fare 48 was included when the Legion doesn't appear at all and the book specifically mentions that the space cabbie is from the 22nd century, and has traveled to the 21st century.

Also slightly confusing is the inclusion of Future Impact. Green Lantern acts as if this is his first time meeting Braniac 5, and acts like this once again in "Far From Home" which would make it seem Future Impact can't fit within canon.