1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fairly Odd Parents, Season 9 - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Lord Beckett, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

Why do you guys think that the renewal of FOP's means that Nickelodeon has given up on Harvey Beaks despite it only airing for about a month? I don't get it.

2. Rouge

Rouge Charming Grandmaster

]Sometimes I wonder what people in the animation industry who were inspired by Hartman think of him now. Clearly, he's still respected since he was nominated for the Emmy and the general public still thinks of FOP fondly, but I can't help but question. We obviously don't like him but that's not taking the children of today and his fellow animators to account.

I bring this up because it's a jarring disconnect with how the show is presented. Modern cartoons like Legend of Korra, Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Over The Garden Wall, etc. - all of them mold-breaking and nuanced and meaningful. Shows like those are what grab today's audiences' attention because they don't stray away from hard topics or talk down to their viewers. They are funny without being unoriginal, but they also don't try to squeeze a joke out of every line. Writers are finally treating kids like people but Hartman continues to attempt to replicate his tired 90's formula and he can't even successfully do that.

I dunno. Maybe he's trying to stand out from the rest of the cartoon crowd? If so, he's succeeding. There's not much to say.

#722 Rouge, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  3. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

^ considering the dropping ratings, there's not much success to be seen

Uncle Grandpa and Clarence are already doing a better job at it anyway

4. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

harvey beaks is not ratings bomb, just because fairly oddparents were renewed for season 10.

5. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Not to mention that Harvey is doing significantly better in ratings than both S&C and Breadwinners.

6. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

True that HB ratings are better than BW and S&C. It's hard to tell whether Fairly OddParents ratings are doing better than Harvey Beaks new episodes. Season 10 FOP should have better ratings than season 9 if not airing weekdays in summer, just my guess.

7. Rouge

I meant "standing out" by being pretty much the only cartoon that continues to use a formula from almost two decades ago. Clarence and UG aren't my favorite shows, but at least they connect to their intended audience pretty naturally. FOP just tries too hard to stay relevant now (remember "App Trap"? Yeah.)

#727 Rouge, May 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2015
  8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I've seen many-a trashy/generic/formulaic Canadian/Australian/European fare that ultimately no one cares about that connect better with children (at least as of late, without listing examples) than this show ever could. That's more than pathetic in my eyes.

I really hope Harvey Beaks continues to get high ratings... And dominate this trash-heap. If only to show Nickelodeon what kids want - shows that are kind, but not trite and saccharine. Shows NOT over-dominated by mean-spirited behavior and/or stupidity and overdone gross-out humor. Shows with actual heart and respect for more than the target audience, but especially the target audience, if only to keep those that deserve it going.

9. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

I brought up Harvey Beaks because I thought it was a good show, I have no idea its actual ratings but FOP was doing so pathetically last I checked that a soft wind could blow it over.

That just shows a major disconnect as you mentioned, with kids of the target demographic, because its one thing for us mostly anonymous people on the internet to criticize this cartoon, but when the masses themselves react, thats when it starts to hit them in the wallet and they'll actually open their ears.

Did anyone notice with the clip alfa9delta linked that Sparky's voice actor was nowhere to be seen? I don't want to get overly hopeful here, but if Hartman and his goons wanted to start repairing this derelict they'd have to start with dropping that atrocious failed character outright.

10. Rouge

I wouldn't get my hopes up. A vine is hardly confirmation for anything.

It's such a shame though; Sparky's voice actor seems like a genuinely funny person, but he's been given such a CRAP character to work with.

11. SaneMan

yeah, there's not much for anyone to work with

12. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

Does anyone think Steve Marmel (Channel Chasers, School's Out,etc) will return to the Fairly OddParents? It happened on SpongeBob with Doug Lawrence and apparently Sherm Cohen. Plus, he hasn't done much on Family Guy since "Brian the Closer".

13. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

I would be so happy if he did

14. Rouge

Ehh... kinda iffy on that. On one hand, he wrote many of the better episodes in the show. On the other hand, he created the trash cookie-cutter Disney sitcom, Sonny With A Chance. He isn't as good as several people make him out to be.

15. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Well it is a Disney Channel sitcom, there's probably lots of executive meddling going on in there.

16. SweetShop209

I remember reading online somewhere (can't find the source) that Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3 was meant to end both shows. Would it have been an acceptable finale?

17. SaneMan

^ considering what came afterwards, yeah, pretty acceptable

still standing by my claim that season 3 should have been the last one

18. Rouge

Hartman wanted it to end back in 2006. Sometimes I think that the drop in quality is him pulling the middle finger on everyone who made him work on it again.

19. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3 would've been acceptable as a finale for Jimmy Neutron, not Fairly OddParents. Nick aired Jimmy Neutron episodes out of order, 3 last episodes aired in late Nov 2006, before that had 5 former episodes aired weekday slots on Jan 2006. There seemed to be 10 month span, not counting for Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 2 aired Jan 2006 and Power Hour 3 aired Jul 2006. Nick had history of keeping JN on hiatus in longer span and these episodes first aired in other countries than USA. Jimmy Neutron episodes had been having history airing most reruns on schedule and had aired weekend mornings until 2012.

If Fairly OddParents wasn't the case, Nick should've never started to renew season 9, but they did according to March 2012 upfront. Nick really wanted more Fairly OddParents, but I may have the bad feeling Nick's horrible treatment with FOP could cause the ratings to slide..

20. SweetShop209

If the show ended with Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3, do you think Butch would still be more well liked by the fans if he pitched TUFF Puppy to Cartoon Network or Disney Channel, channels that don't artificially extend all of their major hits? He's still seen as talented by the general consensus, from what I heard anyway. More to the topic at hand, do you think the show would have still turned out the way it is if he handed off the reins to someone else, like when Stephen Hillenburg handed the rein to Paul Tibbitt on SpongeBob. Say he handed the rein to Kevin Sullivan.