1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fairly Odd Parents, Season 9 - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Lord Beckett, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

We haven't had much talk about the new season of Fairly Odd Parents.

What little is known:

1) It is to be the longest season of FOP ever in terms of production order, according to ex-storyboard artist Dave Thomas who left around the time of the order. Not sure how accurate or if that changed, but that is a very double edged sword and I'll explain why later.
    2) The talking dog Sparky voiced by the same guy who does Snaptrap. Yeahhh. I can just feel the enthusiasm with this one.
    3) Last season saw some voice actor attrition. Chin was a rare sight, the other celeb guest stars non-existent. Francis was voiced by Hartman himself and Trixie was regulated to non-speaking roles, not sure what Quan is doing. However, the core (Tara, Grey, Daran, Susanne, Paulsen) is still there.
    4) A new storyboard is a few posts below but it doesn't provide much info and the Butch crew has been tight lipped as always.
    5) Storyboards coming out and the FOP staff being active online all of a sudden is a normal indicator that new FOP episodes are close on the horizon, and official word suggests such.

My opinions...

Okay, firstly, about the huge season 9 order, that seems good to FOP fans on paper because you think "Oh my goodness, they're making so many episodes, how can they mess up now?" Well, if you go by the track record so far, they'll probably mess up ALL of them remorselessly because Hartman and his crew want to blow through this order as fast as possible, just like he did with the almost equal in size season 7, a season that was full of so many bad episodes I've blocked the majority of them from my memory. Couple that with his increasing devotion to TUFF Puppy and other works, and you can easily figure why Hartman may be regarding FOP as nothing but a quick money maker at this point.

Ratings wise, new episodes have ranged from "mediocre" to the occasional special episode that shatters expectations and pulls 5+ million viewers. The majority are the former or around that range, yet Nickelodeon seems to always bank on at least one of the latter being produced per season. The live action movies have been heavy hitters, but one can argue that it was Drake Bell helping reel in most of those viewers (Although I contest, by the second one you have to wonder if Drake's fans were doing it out of dedication or simple shock/horror of seeing him reduced to what he was). Other attempts at FOP intentionally making a big bad movie have fallen flat, notably Wishology and any animated movie after it, and the last real successful animated FOP movie that was intended to do well was the Fairly Odd Baby movie. I'm sure Nickelodeon still squeals with excitement when they remember the viewer count that movie brought in, but if Hartman thinks he can emulate that success with a talking dog then he really has lost his mind.

So I have to fear for the future; what are we going to see in season 9? Another mediocre season where Crocker, Timmy's dad, and other keystone characters with easy-to-call-in voice actors are present every episode? Ratings in the 2 million range for premieres, but before panic can spread here they somehow put out one with 3.5 million and "all is right with the world" even if the episode itself still stunk or had a huge Spongebob lead in? Will they just get lazy with the regular episodes, and bank on another "epic movie" to bring in 4.5 million viewers to justify another renewal? I'm convinced the live action movies showed that no matter how awkward the medium, people will at least watch FOP in bankable numbers if the plot intrigues them enough; the movies, especially the sequel (which is more interesting in the fact that it still retained high viewership in spite of the "gatekeeper" preceding it that should've driven off viewers on its poorness, perceived clashes with canon, etc), were an indicator that the type of plots that interest viewers involve Timmy's life and future, the romance between Cosmo and Wanda, Poof growing as a character, Tootie having a defining role in shaping (or at least being a positive foil to) Timmy's personality, these are all strong plot points that would've been better suited happening in the cartoon.

If history repeats itself, we're going to get more of Cosmo performing gross toilet humor and diaper jokes, more of Poof being a really lazily designed Pokemon that is the POV character in at least 1/4 of the total episodes, nagging Wanda or jokes leading to fans bickering about her marriage with Cosmo, confusing shipping plots that make Chester, AJ, Tootie, Trixie and other side characters look mindless or even villainous (and the animators still can't get Toots glasses right anymore), more Crocker and Dad being the same old idiots and POVing the other 3/4 of the episodes. Especially since the birth of Poof, the whole human cast outside of the few named have been pushed aside. Hartman's current solution to fixing all this is to throw in another magic granter voiced by one of the most annoying voices on Nickelodeon television, so you can imagine why I share the same skepticism of many for this upcoming Oddparents season.

#1 Lord Beckett, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2013
  2. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Wow, way to make me absolutely DREAD the new season of the show. :p

3. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

Despite my disdain for the last two seasons of FOP Hartman's eary work will still get me to somehow give this season the benifit of the doubt.Hopefully Hartman learned a lesson from integrating Poof into the show so that he make the Fairy Dog more bearale.All the signs point to this being FOP last season I was even suprised that the show got a ninth season as the ratings while good aren't an excuse for automatic renweal the way Spongebob's are .FOP has lasted this long because during the Cyma regime which for the majority of which Nick has struggled to have enough Nicktoons to fill a lineup FOP has been consitently good.While many new shows take NO.2 in the aftermath of their premiere they usually fade into oblivion and give the ranking back to FOP.Now with the addition of KFP,Lok and TMNT in 2011 and 2012 Nick has its strongest lineup sicne 2005(when FOP was canned)and it's only amatter of time before Lok and TMNT take NO.2 from FOP which has had it's ratings slipping slowly and quality not so slowly ever since Fairly Odd Baby.With this huge order there really is no incentive to renew the show for a tenth season as this batch can be stretched out for years and has enough ratings winners and in repeats where FOP has always been most successful has enough repeats to show for several years after that and for the first time in years other show besides FOP and Spongebob are scoring good repeat ratings even further eroding Nicks need for FOP.However I digress I hope that this season of FOP is a good one I sincerly do.Despite the lack of quality of the Poof era with the exception of Spongebob and Rugrats FOP will go down as the most succesful Nicktoon of all time having been the only show to have a serious shot at dethroning Spongebob as the flagship and having been a close second for such a long time.

4. Brownie

Brownie Guest

The longest season of FOP ever?

This won't be good.

5. rockorockorocko

rockorockorocko Well-Known Member

How many episodes were ordered? I'm guessing about 40 - which could take two years to air. And I know you gave some great points ferrisjso, but is this for sure the final season of FOP?

6. Lord Beckett

Yeah... I don't want to seem too pessimistic, and looking back on my post it may have seemed a little bit on the defeatist end of things, but when Hartman's big and only announcement for the season is a new fairy dog, one has to wonder where his priorities really are and if he has any willpower left for putting an effort into this show at all. This is a show with a massive cast of characters, rivaling the likes of The Simpsons, and yet FOP has been relying too much on the "Rotating Cast of 3 Baddies" as villains much like the TUFF Puppy format, with the occasional new character thrown in every few episodes for the sake of an easy plot.

About the actual production order...

I left Nickelodeon before the writing had begun on the new season, so I'm not sure what they're planning.

It was a big pickup: 26 1/2 hours, so my guess would be mostly 11s with a few half hour specials, and maybe an hour-long special to introduce the new character. But that's only guess.

Blogger: Owner of Wendy's - Post a Comment
    via Dave Thomas, whom no longer works for FOP unfortunately, that was one of his last blog posts

26 and a half hours, with a half to full hour long movie or two. That is nearly fifty short format episodes. Interestingly, season 8 was entirely half hour episodes which made one think they were switching over to it. (I found S8 to be at least marginally better than the other Poof seasons, but not by much, )

Lets look at the past few FOP specials and movies..
    -Fairly Odd Baby: Ratings wise, FOP's biggest success, storyline wise it was mediocre and Cosmo's male pregnancy was one of the first red flags that Hartman had entered "Trying too hard to be random/funny" mode that normally only plagued lesser cartoons on the channel.
    -Wishology: Flop, beaten by the freaking Jonas Brothers, so much wrong about the story itself I could write an essay on it. This is particularly disappointing because interviews and build up and such leading up to it made one believe the FOP crew was putting a particular effort into making this as successful as Odd Baby, but once again... they tried too hard and it backfired. I think this movie bombing caused the FOP crew (and maybe Nick) a lot of lost faith in this cartoon.
    -Anti-Poof: Even worse flop, but it was only a half hour compared to the other two. Foop himself was entertaining, but at this point viewers were realizing the show had become the Poof Show and were giving up faith en masse.
    -Live action FOP Part 1: Ratings success, storytelling disaster, although to its credit the majority of its poorness is caused by Drake Bell's simple inability to act and a mostly joke of a cast to begin with... seriously what was Costanza doing there again? At least they were trying something new this time, but it was yet another needless distraction and ratings grab.
    -Timmy's Secret Wish: If Wishology and Fairly Odd Baby were trying too hard, this was Try Hard: Live Free or Try guest starring Bruce Willis (Okay, not really, the best this stinker movie could come up with for a celeb was another half-hearted Jay Leno cameo as Chin). Timmy wishes time to stop for 50 years? Yeah, we get it, Timmy will do anything to keep his fairies, but he is bordering on becoming a villain himself doing so. Ratings for this were mediocre, and a sign that the success the live action brought for FOP was short lived...
    -Live action FOP Part 2: ...at least until they tried live action again. Maybe Drake is better than we thought at pulling viewers, but if this keeps up then FOP season 10 will be headlined by Bell and Monet instead of Tara Strong and Daran Norris. However, the movie itself was even more lazily thrown together than the first one which is speaking volumes. Some of the dialogue about Cosmo and his worth as a husband was no doubt thrown in to appease disgruntled C&W fans, but they've been doing that since Fairy Idol and have been just as quick to renege on that progress for the sake of a joke. Still, the live action and their place in the FOP universe are serving as nothing but a temporary distraction from the massive and glaring problems the animated series is suffering from.
    -Season 8: Okay, its not really a movie or special, but all the episodes were 30 minutes long for some reason. They were all pretty run of the mill, ranging from mediocre to wasted potential, although none of them were particularly flat out awful. They could've done more with the LOSERS episode, they could have had a better proto-finale than Meet the Oddparents (What I mean by that is, that episode was going to be the last episode of FOP assuming it hadn't been revived, and Dave Thomas spoke that it was meant to carry some sentimental value just in case... but it didn't). Still, compared to Seasons 6 and 7, they actually showed some slight effort into mixing up the characters a bit.... okay not really, but at least Vicky appeared. I think viewers are getting sick of Crocker and Timmy's Dad headlining every episode though.

So... as you can see... the track record for movies has really fallen off from the glory days of Abra Catastrophe, Channel Chasers, and Fairy Idol. Most of these new movies tried to capture the same epic/tragic/touching moments that made those first few movies so memorable, and failed spectacularly. The awful Spiderman/Matrix/HP movie parodies in Wishology trying to emulate the original (at the time) ones from Abra catastrophe, the meaningless C&W make up moments that get nullified by another nagging/Cosmo moron joke moments later because the writers can't write comedy for either of those characters worth a Philip the nickel, the attempt at Timmy having a dark and tragic separation from his fairies in Secret Wish in a way calling upon Channel Chasers that was once again ruined by lazy storyboarding and convoluted storytelling. Whether you can say "Hartman has lost it", "isn't trying anymore", "lost too many pieces to his staff like Marmel", the same song and dance has been sung since 07-08 and Hartman has only regressed further since. Having a lot of episodes in his production order to toy around with didn't save Season 7 from being a complete fail, and I have serious reservations that this new season will be any better.

My only hope is that the dog somehow turns out to be a parody of typical Scrappy Doo characters and is kicked off the show within one episode.... but I doubt Hartman or the FOP skeleton crew is capable of that type of deeper humor anymore.

7. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Its like Hartman can't get anything to run longer than a few years but this. Danny Phantom an honestly, TUFF are superior at this point.

8. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Agreed. T.U.F.F. Puppy remains a funnier show, while I've stopped watching FOP completely (I think "Lights Out" was where I realized it jumped the shark).

9. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

In response to rockorockorocko's question I'm not sure this is FOP last season.Before the show got picked up for season 9 most didn't think the show would get renewed and it did anyway.All the signs point to the show ending after season 9 as there is simply no reason to renew it further.Then again Nick never does what is expected so FOP of course has a decent shot of coming back for a tenth season.This season is a long one and would be a perfect way to milk the show for all it's worth while phasing it out and unlike Spongebob Nick has shown signs of wanting to phase out FOP if someone can get a FOP repeats chart like someone did with Spongebob I'm pretty sure FOP got shown a lot more several years ago then it did now.Nick has canned FOP before when FOP was getting far better ratings for prmeires then it is now the reason it came back is because Cyma axed the entire Nicktoon lineup at the time minus Spongebob and A TLA and needed a show that could get consistent ratings.Nick is very close to not needing FOP anymore and this season and its repeat volume can carry it until Nick doesn't.

10. Lord Beckett

That episode in particular was one of my least favorites... very badly put together. That is the type of tricks they will pull to get through a large production order, an episode where 95% of it is eyes moving on a black screen.

However, I realize we are wallowing a lot in skepticism There has been some slight news regarding this show worth noting. First is a preview storyboard...

[​IMG]

From: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fairly-Odd-Parents/572657036082155
    Butch's official FOP facebook page

From the official FOP facebook page, which was just created and seems to be the premiere place for FOP news now.... although Hartman whom runs it has been known to take extended vacations from giving any news through the internet. Its good to see the FOP people trying to get more in touch with the fandom again by releasing storyboards and other hype, but I wonder if its too little too late at this point.

Of course Nickelodeon scheduling should never be trifled with, but Butch's FOP facebook page and Gordon Hammond (former character designer) mentioned new FOP episodes will be premiering very soon.

#10 Lord Beckett, Jan 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2013
  11. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Perhaps, this thread should be renamed "The Fairly OddParents Season 9 (News & Discussion)" for a better title.

12. Lord Beckett

[​IMG]
    Here is some storyboard animation of Timmy done by a new storyboard artist for FOP, Jim Mortensen

Also, the official FOP facebook has some behind the scene clips of Carlos Alazraqui voicing the charactes Crocker and his mother.

So I'm just shooting in the dark here, its obviously way too early to judge, but right now we've got Timmy making funny faces at something bad happening, and Crocker/CrockerMom banter. Sounds alot like we saw episode after episode the last few seasons. Another warning red flag just went up.

13. alfa9delta

alfa9delta Hey, Where's Perry ?

How did you find out about this new storyboard artist?

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know about you guys, but this whole Timmy spazzing out and making funny faces gag, got old really quick. It comes off as obnoxious.
    Which isn't too surprising as the whole show is obnoxious. There's still that occasionally good episode, or the occasionally good visual or verbal gag. But this show gets painful to watch due to repeating their one good joke (or in the case of Fairly Odd Baby, ALL their jokes) three times!
    And of course the character voices have gotten more and more unbearable, made worse that all the characters sound like their yelling. And now, we're going to end up with a dog who sounds like Snaptrap?!
    Yeesh!

15. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination or Jim Mortensen seems to be inspired a bit by John K's Ren & Stimpy when he drawed Timmy's faces?

16. Lord Beckett

Fred Seibert's Odd Blog, make sure you go to the new one. It was posted in December, although updates are still few and far between.

A bad sign indeed if Carlos, Daran, and Tara are just going to be screaming their heads off for forty episodes. Its a wonder none of them have thrown out their voices working on this show all these years. In particular, this "Timmy spazzes out Crocker style" move has been pulled countless times in the Poof season, mostly in an episode starring Poof. Overall, Timmy's actions HAVE gotten obnoxious and too cartoony even for this show, as he used to have a kind human element to him. Now he just flips out and makes faces, vomits when he sees Tootie, fearful jaw drop or freak out when he sees Vicky, overdone howling wolf when its Trixie, and seems completely apathetic and uncaring to most other characters including his own friends. Its like they cannot write Timmy interacting with anyone but his fairies in a civil manner for their life, and it gets tiresome to see his reliance on them for both magic and a social life. Instead of posing the inevitable reality to Timmy he would have to grow up and shed his fairies, Butch took the mega-easy route and made it so Timmy will never even lose them, and I think that greatly angered a lot of fans, as it was not explained well or articulated in any agreeable way with live action movies.

You're thinking of the "gross up close up". FOP has used it a few times, but its more liberally used in R&S and Spongebob. Its not anything he was inspired by, but likely forced to draw as I mentioned earlier this joke has been done dozens of times before.

17. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

To me, it wasn't just the sheer laziness of the design. It was the the writing that made me realize how much of a lost cause The Fairly OddParents was. It was nothing but almost 10 minutes of poorly justified torture for Timmy, partly facilitated by his fairies for the flimsy reason of them not wanting Poof to sleep without a night light, despite him having a good reason (his night light was INCREDIBLY bright). I slept with a night light for years, and when my older brother decided to stop, I just went along with it. I didn't just act like a spoiled brat and ask my parents to make him suffer for my loss.

Okay, I'm contrasting a cartoon to my own personal life. This should give you a good example as to why this kills my suspension of disbelief. If Cosmo and Wanda treat their godchild like this, why should I care what they go through? So yeah, I've pretty much stopped watching this show altogether.

18. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Was a coiled up attack snake before it was cool

Man, I gotta agree. Fairly Oddparents used to be a fun, witty series. Now? It's just no fun. While I do like the first several seasons, (heck, I'm ok with Poof), I have a feeling that this season will be the last.

19. ferrisjso

ferrisjso Member

Man I hate that episode.The reason FOP got so popular in the first place was because you got attached to the characters and actually cared what happened to them.The show while a comedy had the perfect sprinkling of seriousness and emotion which made the show great.Now Timmy's a selfish brat who wants to have everything the way he wants to and if he doesn't screams like he's five,poof is just an annoying baby which recites his name over and over again and Cosmo is just an idiot.With the addition of the Fairy Dog with Snaptrap's voice god help us all if he sounds anything like the most annoying character Butch Hartman has ever created.What makes this sad is Getouttamylab is right it wasn't always this way.While Nick would have probably canned Spongebob in it's first season if it came out today as it didn't take off until Season 2 FOP would have still met the nearly impossible standards an original show has to meet to succeed on Nick whether it be in 1991,2001 or today.There was a reason the show took off right out of the gate actually maintained it's ratings for months and months despite having only 6 repeats and for years ratings wise ran right behind Spongebob and for a brief time actually surpassed it.Remember the pre Fairly Odd Baby Movies?Abra Catastrophe,Channel Chasers School's Out and Fairy Idol were IMO some of the best stuff Nick has ever shown.The early seasons of FOP also produced such classic episodes such as "The Secret Life of Denzel Crocker" and several others were the title escapes me such as that episode were Timmy and Remy had that duel to keep their fairies.As most long running shows do the show's quality dropped as it lost key staff most notably Steve Marmel. Due to this Season 5 had horrible episodes like "Big Wanda" which resulted in a decline in ratings which led to Nick canning the show.At the time the show had 80 eps and while the last season had many bad eps it also had many good ones and went out with class.Then the new shows failed spectacularly Nick had no choice but to bring FOP back.Fairy Odd Baby was the highest rated FOP anything ever and gave an temporary spike to the show but ever since the ratings and the quality have been dropping.I think wholeheartedly this will be FOP's last season there's no way Nick will renew the show unless it needs help filling it's roster which it does'nt and with this huge backlog Nick can drag this season out until 2015.Lok and TMNT are VERY CLOSE to surpassing FOP.While the last few seasons have been IMO a bunch of trash that are destroying the show's legacy FOP is undoubtedly one of the best Nicktoons if not animated shows to ever run.While so close but not quite a Spongebob or Rugrats ratings wise in terms of quality at it's peak I feel FOP was far superior to both Spongebob and Rugrats were at theirs.

20. Lord Beckett

I have to agree and its very alarming that characters that are normally supposed to be helpful were turned into jerks in this episode. In many episodes, the fairies are causing more problems than Timmy, and although they at least acknowledge how much Timmy has saved them, at times he himself teeters on the brink of villainy when he wishes time to stop for 50 years for his own personal pleasure.

The episode that drove away a lot of fans was the one that told us that "Everyone was better off without Timmy", an egregious slap in the face of the fans and an attempt to mimic Spongebob by turning Timmy into the village idiot. Lights Out and another Poof era episode that slips my mind were also bad offenders in that they, as you said, created situations where Timmy was being punished for his fairies own buffoonery.

Every character is becoming increasingly selfish or irrational, to the point where what little fabric of believability this show's characters had (or even needed) is torn. They become inhuman, monster-like even, just like Cosmo and Wanda in Lights Out. My favorite character and one of the ones I still like even after all the mess ups is Tootie, and even she was written like yet another one of the town's jerks who was trying to assault Timmy for some reason, she was completely out of character from any episode before and it was jarring, although the writer of that episode may have had ulterior motives for that, who knows. It just seems like complete laziness, they are reluctant to use the characters as palpable beings and instead are just stiff voice boxes to recite whatever bad joke Hartman thinks of three times.

To his "defense" in Lights Out at least, Timmy was being punished because he read a scary story to Poof, not because of the night light (which was caused after the effect), but there were points in the episode where Timmy was in physical life threatening danger and you wonder if the fairies took it too far. Also, the end of the episode implied that Timmy was just having a bad dream the entire time..... BUT THEN IT DIDN'T! Right as the credits roll! You would think M. Knight Shamabamamabmajskfhjfhnjaf,bfjmb f,n an wrote that convoluted twist of an ending.