1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Fairly Odd Parents, Season 10 - News & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Toonatic, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

It's not Hartman's fault. I think is Nickelodeon's own fault on purpose for airing Fairly OddParents in early slot and/or not at all.

2. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I think that was a step too far. Bad as FoPs season 9 was, there are still worse Nicktoons out there now. IMHHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    #442 90'sKid, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

as far as I'm concerned, Pig Goat Banana Cricket is one of the best shows on Nickelodeon at the moment, and I have no ill feelings towards Breadwinners

• Like Like x 4
  4. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

Although ratings for Nickelodeon the past few years have generally been trending downward as a whole, FOP has seen HUGE dropoffs since Sparky was introduced. His introduction episode was awful, it was like watching a serious version of Poochie right down to being shown doing "hip" lingo and stunts, and the sad video with him at the end was like Homer pleading to the execs to give Poochie a chance, oh my goodness its like Hartman stopped watching that Simpsons episode right there and thought it would work if he tried it seriously. The man for all intents and purposes is one of the worst cartoonists out there, that live action movie series, Sparky, and potentially this new girl are absolute career killers for everyone involved, and audiences have left in droves. Ratings were so putrid by the end of S9 we all thought there was no chance this show returned, but now I'm starting to wonder if there was stuff written between the ink of the last production order.

What we know of S10 (Well, aside from Hartman randomly claiming one point during the middle of S9 that the last few episodes were S10, anyone remember that?) is that its a relatively short production order, barely as big as S8, so I'm wondering if we will see a lot of full half hour episodes. Generally, the pacing of those is a little better, but not always. But regardless, its a short lease, and probably another clause or red ink in the contract so that if it even shows a glimmer of ratings hope it will guarantee a S11.

The real problem is that Hartman continues to alienate fans, and I have a gut feeling this next season will alienate them the most ever in the show's history. So viewers, target audience, us old fans on the internet, whatever, no one is really looking forward to watching more of the same with this, its dead weight on Nickelodeon.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    #444 Lord Beckett, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  5. Littleroadyman

As you stated before, FOP might be "unkillable" and that it would be given another season. How could Nickelodeon possibly think that this show is still special? They clearly don't give a damn about its reputation any more and do not even show it on the main channel anymore (although, its sister network Nicktoons shows reruns of FOP on a weekly basis). It seems that the network can't seem to decide whether the cartoon is worthy or not. I would hate to see what Nickelodeon has in store a decade down the road.

Another thing is Hartman's means of inspiration for creating new stories and characters. He stated in an interview last year at the 2014 Daytime Emmys (it on YouTube), that he enjoys eating a lot of cereal and drinking a lot of soda because the hype gets him happy and gives him the creative spontaneity he needs into working on the show. That is clearly an unhealthy habit in eating junk food to get inspiration for being a cartoonist. All that can be said is that soda and FOP do have something in common: the less you have of them the better off you'll be as too much of a good thing is unhealthy. He also looks rather physically exhausted in video interviews and his voice seems raspy, like the side effects of a long-time smoker. I don't know if his habits are starting to affect his creativity in a negative way, but he seems to fit the Jaded Washout trope more and more.

Rant Over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #445 Littleroadyman, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  6. Yellowshadow

Yellowshadow Member

IMO I like FOP season 9 ( except sparky)

7. kanc

kanc Well-Known Member

What does THIS has to do with Fairly OddParents?

8. Rhaynebow

Rhaynebow Well-Known Member

Perhaps to say that comparing FOP to other shows isn't exactly fair. Just because some people think that PGBC or BW is bad, it doesn't mean that they ARE bad because there are plenty of people out there that believe the opposite.

Back on subject, Butch needs to stop. To hear all these bad habits he's going through just to come up with ideas CANNOT be good for his health and it's reflecting in his work. Maybe his dedication to his Noog Network will make him drop FOP to focus on that, where he won't have to worry about Nick screwing him over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Rouge

Rouge Charming Grandmaster

One possible reason they're still keeping it is because... well, they don't have much choice. Nickelodeon doesn't seem to treat any of its shows like they're particularly special, and they're not. None of them (save TMNT, apparently) have a reputation other than "went downhill" or just "bad from the start". They're obscure too; I didn't even know Pig Goat Banana Cricket existed until SaneMan mentioned it, and that is because the few people to even mention the current Nicktoons only do so to point out how bad or forgettable they are.

That's where FOP comes in. Again, one thing it has that the newer Nicktoons don't is nostalgia value; Nick can still keep it as a ghost title to attract bored, older fans, even if the show itself isn't very good anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yellowshadow

Yellowshadow Member

From my perspective in 2014 FOP seemed to slowly fade out of existence. But now its fading back in.

11. Littleroadyman

How so? It's not played on Nickelodeon and not advertized. If anything, it's probably getting phased out,

12. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

13. Littleroadyman

14. Rouge

"Kids gravitate toward good storytelling, like we did when we were kids. The good stories are always going to win out over the gross-out jokes, so I focus on stories first and if we need to..."

So where the heck are the good stories, hm?

This interview sounds very lazily copy and pasted from his previous interviews. Can he really not say anything new?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ya know....it stands to the point where either I need to stop visiting this thread, or some of you should just give up on this show, because some of the stuff you guys say about Butch Hartman has gotten ridiculous.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

^ it will only end once the show ends

17. Rouge

Admittedly, it kind of has. But the man is sort of a spectacle himself; most of the stuff we say is mere observation. And the discussion hasn't become as heated as what transpired last thread (yeah, I read all that.)

18. Neo Yi

Neo Yi A Cargo of Fineries
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

While I am glad there hasn't been anything heated or overtly negative to the point of chaotic in this forum, I will admit I do feel concern over the number of pot shots and insults flung at Butch Hartman and his crew. I've been patience enough to let this go, but I think this is getting to be too much and I'm not comfortable with it.

You guys can criticize Butch Hartman AND his staff without resorting to name callings. You guys can explain why you feel Hartman and crew's ideas for FOP is bad without calling him a "hack" or stating his staff are his "lackeys" or anything that sounds petty. For that matter, there is an awful lot of speculation over the man that I feel dips a little too far than what we should look into. Just because he looks "tired" in one picture or that he drinks a lot of soda in another doesn't automatically theorize some kind of trigger that's causing FOP to suffer. I'm noticing a lot of the posts in this forum about Fairy Oddparents is devoted to analyzing Butch Hartman as much as his cartoons and I think we need to start dropping this attitude.

Remember: Unlike FOP, Butch Hartman and his crew are real people with lives of their own - some who likely consider this just a job. It doesn't matter if he's in a professional field or not, do your best to treat him like you want to be treated yourself, both the positives and negatives. Let's drop the insults and backhanded responses, and let's not assume everything the man says is a detriment to the quality of the show. I understand that watching a show you love deteriorate is a frustrating thing, but there are better, mature ways of expressing it without name-calling and pointing fingers with constant - and often assumptive - observation over a man you guys personally do not know in real life. Guys, in the long run, you're basically ganging up on a man over a cartoon and this is not a good attitude to have.

tl; dr: Criticism of him and his work is fine as long as the discussion is mature, rational, and importantly, polite. Do not fling insults or resort to name-calling. Do not assume too much of him and his crew.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Rouge

Okay, we'll try to remember that. I wouldn't want to cause pandemonium in here.

20. Lord Beckett

Lord Beckett Cute and Mean

I don't know what's been said here that is ridiculous. That new interview? Same canned QnA we've been given for years. He hands the reluctant interviewer his list of questions, most pointedly to mention his charity or that useless app of his every single time.

That's why frustration is boiling over with the audience here, degrading into "insults" if you want to call it that. He's never given his viewers an ounce of real respect. He does things his way, and when they go south (which is more often than not) he disappears onto an island for a few years, then comes back with a new character/show/whatever trying to sell it to a younger, less cynical audience. Compared to the level of audience-fandom interaction that goes on regularly in other cartoons, Hartman and his canned interviews and cringey behind the scenes videos seems out of touch and old fashion to an extreme fault, and the show itself has no idea who its trying to please or sell itself too, its just an aged show well past its prime like its creator.

As for his crew, they deserve blame too. If anything its unfair to Hartman to make him the sole lightning rod. Instead of acting like flatterers, someone in that crew should've had the courage and wherewithal to speak up and say what an utter embarrassment ideas like Sparky or majority of Season 9 were. Instead, everyone is just looking for a meal ticket and bails the moment the most bare-bones Canadian flash production offers them a cent more. The only ones that stay are non-celebrity VAs and thats because they need every paycheck.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #459 Lord Beckett, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  21. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I still don't understand the logic of demonizing Hartman to be this complete monster when that energy could easily be devoted to talking about something you actually like. The only offense he's committed is continuing a flagship series that grown rather stale in recent years, and it's certainly not worth as much insight and analysis as it's been receiving up to now. At the end of it all he's still just a guy and Fairly OddParents is still just a cartoon, in its current state, former glory, or otherwise.

This is probably the last time I'm going to say anything about this, because I'm not even sure why I bother coming to this thread anymore. I'm wholly concurring with Dudley here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.