1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed Cartoon Shows: The Lame, The Dumb and the Forgettable

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dr. Kosher, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

What-A-Mess originally aired on ABC in the fall of 1994 as animated bumpers between the commercial breaks, and then was made into a series that ran during the 1995-1996 season. My cousin used to enjoy that show.

As for Rotten Ralph, the 1st time that I saw that was on Fox Family. It might have been the stop motion animation, but I found that show to be just a wee bit on the creepy side.

2. Cobblepot1982

Cobblepot1982 Member

I'm watching a bit of Rotten Ralph on Youtube right now...you weren't kidding; it's almost like the serial killer offspring of Pee Wee's Playhouse and Fritz the Cat.

I mean...this show would've likely given me nightmares as a kid. The jokes aren't even funny...they're just incredibly sleazy. This show almost makes Spicy City and Aeon Flux look as tame as Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings....although that was a really good show.

3. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Yeah, but only because I believe it came along at the very end of Fox Kid's existance. If the show had premiered a bit earlier, or landed on Kid's WB it might have lasted longer.

4. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

Yeah, basically it was a sequel series to 'Fievel Goes West'. I think it only ran for 13 episodes -maybe less than that-, I'm not 100% sure. But from what I remember, it was fairly well-done (and a majority of the original voice cast -sans John Cleese and John Lovitz- returned too) for a weekly cartoon show based on a movie.

5. Still HowardFein

Which made the whole thing pointless. The characters were slightly redesigned, with :tomcat: wearing a stereotyped little-boy baseball cap. Then-new network FOX was more lenient about Saturday AM violence standards than the Big Three, so there was a return to the slapstick mayhem and temporary cartoon injuries that marked the original theatrical serie (as opposed to H-B's 1975 emasculation of the characters, making them adventurous buddies.) It's hilarious to see 'grown-up' Tom flattened or blown up in a 1940s/50s theatrical short. To see 'kitten' Tom endure the same indignities in a 1990s TV short is rather uncomfortable.

But it still gained huge ratings, leading to new episodes over several seasons on Saturday AM.

THE PINK PANTHER AND SONS and POPEYE AND SON weren't so much babyifications as sequels/spinoffs. MUPPET BABIES, PUP NAMED SCOOBY and FLINTSTONE KIDS, on the other hand, were. And they shared Tom & Jerry's success. On the other hand, the 'teening' of classic H-B characters in OY, YOGI! ;) was an artistic and commercial failure- although being aired on NBC during the network's last season of Saturday AM cartoons may have helped hasten its demise.

6. Still HowardFein

When new animated series made for weekday syndication began to appear in the 1980s, 65 episodes was the standard order. This way the series could run in five 13-week cycles- most TV being ordered and produced in 13-week increments.

DIC aired several 65-episode syndicated series in this manner. GADGET and HEATHCLIFF were successful enough in their initial seasons to merit a limited order of new episodes a couple of seasons later. TEENS, DINOSAUCERS, and MAXIE'S WORLD were not. Marvel and Disney would soon jump on the 65-episode bandwagon themselves.

7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

Speaking of babyfication shows, I thought "Jungle Cubs" (the Jungle Book gang as kids) was good, although the first season is better than the second season IMO.

Though I couldn't quite get into the series itself, "All Dogs Go To Heaven" did have a nice theme song.

8. mowub

mowub Active Member

I remember that John Candy had his own cartoon, "Camp Candy." I never really got into it, I think I was put off by the character designs.

9. Tobias

Yeah, Camp Candy ran for two seasons on NBC, then moved into syndication with all new episodes, as well as new live action wraparounds with John Candy himself. I don't know if the show got a full 65 episode run in, but the last time I saw it was on Fox Family when they came into being and were actually more about being family oriented than ABC Family currently is.

Anyone remember The Oz Kids? In the mid 90's, Paramount (?) started doing a bunch of DTVs based on the children of the Oz characters that were flat out boring, stretching half hour plots over 90 minutes.

10. mowub

mowub Active Member

And then there was another animated series based on The Wizard of Oz, I think it was to commemorate the anniversary of the movie or something.

11. Shredhead

Shredhead Suck gas evildoers!

I haven't read the whole thread I hope none of these were mentioned.

The Wacky World of Tex Avery: I dont remember this show much I although do remembering not liking it that and it seems they were trying to profit of a deadmans good name. Has anyone remembered this show and is it really as awful as I remember it.

The Mummy: I remember this show on Kids WB never liked it. Then again the Mummy movies were never that good to begin with they based the series on a sequel was pretty lackluster. I remember the animation for it was realy poor and the art design was way to simplfied. I guess MIB did well enough for WB and they thought they could get a anther success from anther summer blockbuster.

Kong the Animated Series: I wouldn't call it terrible but it is pretty forgettable. Every time I saw it on a schedule like on Fox Kids or Toon Disney Jetix I always say to myself "oh yeah this is filler." The show never reached any real success yet it had 40 episodes two DTV's and two Gameboy videogames. I wonder how does it get all that yet a show like Spectacular Spider-Man that has fans and is good quality yet its future is uncertain.

Spider-Man Unlimited and Avengers United They Stand: Pretty much take out everything that made these properties successful and put in a bunch of crap that doesn't belong like transforming armor and High Evolutinary and you got a good reason as to why marvel went bankrupt.

12. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

*shudder* One of the Fox affiliates down here ran that show and even as a kid I thought it was awful. Doesn't help that I was already familiar with the real Tex Avery cartoons through Cartoon Network's "Tex Avery Show"

On a funnier note, Eddie Fitzgerald wrote about working on the opening sequence, saying that it was hard to do because the lyrics consisted nothing but "wacky" repeated over and over, meaning that he couldn't say "The character hits the ground at the start of wacky". While he laughs at it now, it really drove him crazy when he was working on it.

13. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

I mentioned this one really early on. I watched it in the mornings as a kid, and I thought it was alright. Don't know how I'd react to it now.

14. Tobias

To me, The Wacky World of Tex Avery was one of those shows that you'd sit and watch if there was literally nothing else on at the moment. I remember that this show was on after I left for school (8 a.m. or 8:30, I forget which), and I'd watch it whenever there wasn't school in session because A) I didn't have cable at the time and B) The Fox affiliate's offering wasn't much better.

15. KITT1982

KITT1982 The Knight Rider

how about Mummies Alive!! does any one rember that one?

16. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

I was aware of its' existence, but I never saw an episode of it.

Mummies Alive! was a co-production of DiC Entertainment and Ivan Reitman Productions and ran for a single season in syndication in 1997.

17. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

18. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

I watched Mummies Alive! when the Incredible World of DiC was still on and I liked it. It was pretty cool.

19. Shredhead

Shredhead Suck gas evildoers!

I loved that show I remember it was on syndication for the longest time in my area. I think they finally got rid of it in like 2005 I think. It got replaced with court shows.:(

20. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

BTW, Reruns of Mummies Alive!! are currently running on Cookie Jar's THIS TV block.

It's weird, I have fond (and not-so-fond) memories of all the other Disney Afternoon and One Saturday Morning cartoons, but I have absolutely NO recollection of this, even after watching the opening on Youtube.

Really, Jungle Cubs seems even more obscure than the Mighty Ducks cartoon (which, even that, I remember).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.