1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed Cartoon Shows: The Lame, The Dumb and the Forgettable

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dr. Kosher, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

I had always thought that was the only episode when I was younger.

2. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

I'm old enough to have seen Pac-man, Rubik, Lazer Tag Academy, Hulk Hogan *and* Happy Days (live-action and animated) when I was a kid...

Opinions on the above:

Pac-Man: Lasted two seasons. Thought it was OK if cheesy (everything was named "Pac-whatever"----Pac-Hollywood, Thomas Jefferpac as a historical figure, or had the Pac-Man shape on every object). The Ghost Monsters were the bumbling hired help of a villain named Mezmeron, who wanted to find the Power Pellet forest (source of the power pellets) so he could use its "pac-Power" to conquer all of Pac-land (where the show took place).

Season two saw the addition of Pac-Man's teenaged hipster cousin P.J. and resident superhero "Super-Pac".

Rubik the Amazing Cube: A group of Latino siblings and their magical talking Rubik's cute have various adventures. At least once an episode, Rubik had to be solved by one of the kids to get fully powered again.

Hulk Hogan: A cartoon using the wrestling stars of the WWF/WWE at the time, including the Sheik, Andre the Giant, etc.

Lazer Tag Academy: two teens and a teenager from a distant future where Lazer Tag equipment is standard-issue use their lazer-tag gear to travel through time/have various adventures thwarting some villain. Lazer Tag was the "paintball" of the 80s----a toy gun used as part of a glorified "tag" game.

Fonz and the Happy Days Gang: The gang from Happy Days stuck in a malfunctioning time machine with "a future chick named Cupcake" per the theme song, trying each episode to get back to 1957 Milwaukee. Fonz in the cartoon IIRC somehow gained the ability to make odd cartoonish stuff happen when smacking his elbow against something (a la smacking the jukebox in Arnold's to make it turn on), and had a bumbling pet dog named Mr. Cool. The show's voices did their animated versions.

There also were short lived Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy cartoons---the former had the two in the Army (playing on teh popularity at the time of "Private Benjamin" (sp?) the movie), and the latter misadventures of Mork. All once again voiced by their primetime actors...

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I seriously think I remember that. I watched it once at my uncle's house when my grandma turned the TV on. I don't remember much about it.

4. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Has anyone mentioned Little Rosey?

Back when Roseanne's prime time ABC series was immensely popular, ABC thought that kids across Amercia would want to see the woman who shriekd our national anthem in animated form. So in 1990 we got an animated series about 8 year old Roseanne, who wth friend Buddy, and sisters Tess & Tater, used their imaginations to explore the world.

The show lasted one season after ABC put it in the deathslot of noon.

5. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Another thing which led to the demise of Little Rosey was ABC's creative meddling. A 2nd season of the show was planned, along with merchandise, but ABC wanted to make some changes: the network wanted Barr to add more boy characters to the show, an idea that Barr was vehemently opposed to (she thought more boys would lead to the show becoming "too violent"). The creative differences between Barr and ABC proved too irreconcilable, and Little Rosey was given the ax without much further ado. (There was also the little matter of Barr caricaturing her own family members as cast members without their consent.)

Barr was so infuriated by the termination of her cartoon that she went on to produce a "revenge" special entitled The Rosey and Buddy Show (May 15, 1992), in which an animated Barr and then husband Tom Arnold (Buddy) were portrayed as cartoon rebels fighting against a cabal of corporate weasels (literal weasels in business suits) called "The Powers That Be" (representing of course ABC executives) who didn't care about funny cartoons and were only interested in cute shows which made money. Ironically, the special aired on ABC, the same network that killed Little Rosey.

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Starcom The animation was excellent, but it was SO DULL. If they wanted to make kids join the US Astronauts they could have been a little less droll and overly scientific.

7. Invidente 7

Invidente 7 Active Member

Voltron 3D

Anyone remembers that Voltron 3D cartoon? I only kept watching it because the dub was genuinely good...and that's it, it was a genuinely awful cartoon :ack:

8. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

Now that was a great show! From the same bad boys who did the Highlander animated series, Gaumont!

But, Ace Cooper needed a female assistant though.

9. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

My Little Pony Tales: I don't know the whys or hows of this one, I just know that this was a short lived attempt by the Disney Channel. In this series, the Ponies (with ZERO connection to the My Little Pony & Friends series) were now somehow living in a modern 90's setting, and pretty much able to do anything despite the fact they had no opposable thumbs (or fingers for that matter).

I caught this series shortly before Disney Channel started jettisoning the older shows for the current Playhouse Disney theme, and found it odd that to boost the episode count, they use the MLP segments from '& Friends' series with the 'Tales' theme song attached.

10. Cobblepot1982

Cobblepot1982 Member

forgive me for not reading 15 whole pages to find out if this was mentioned:

The Three Friends...and Jerry

It lasted one single season on Nickelodeon before being picked up by the Fox Family Channel...and it didn't do well there, either.

Basically, 99.9% of the characters are ******bags to each other, with pretty much no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The only non-******bag on the show is Jerry's mom...and she's bland beyond belief.

Making it even worse is that half the voice acting makes "phoned in" sound like effort is being put in. I mean...really..you could tell the actors were barely even in this for the paycheck. It's almost like they just pulled any schmoe out from the unemployment line to do this.

One of the Three Friends also wears a green cap similar to Kyle Broflofski of South Park, and this show DID come out during the late '90s; my friend and I even believed it was trying to cash in on South Park's success, despite being for little kids.

Seriously...try even watching the intro on Youtube, and tell me how appealing this show honestly looks to you.

#290 Cobblepot1982, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2009
  11. Cobblepot1982

Cobblepot1982 Member

I actually enjoyed Schnookums and Meat( at least back in the day; I just tried watching some of it again on Youtube....yeah, doesn't hold up), and btw..it lasted 2 seasons; I saw someone mentioned Hysteria on here; that was just proof that lightning doesn't always strike twice. the creators of Animaniacs made it; were they only in it for the paychecks at that point cause it was just sheer pain to sit thru...

That also, though..lasted 2 seasons..somehow....

12. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

"Histeria" didn't take long to die. The first season went over budget and got slashed from 65 episodes to 52, and then the show was cancelled two months after its premiere - there was no second season, it was all just reruns. Also, it was in an 11:30 AM death slot. And then "Pokémon" premiered, and well, that was the end for pretty much every domestic Kids' WB show.

13. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Wow I don't even remember that series, and that's when I watched Nick the most.

14. Michael JJ

Michael JJ Remember to Stay Positive!

Wow...I watched this on FOXFamily as a kid, but I do not remember the animation being that bad.

I remember some other segments on the show, one anthology on urban legends and another starring crudely drawn stick figures. I remember being entertained by them, but being bored by the main one. If I watched it again, all of it would probably bore me.

15. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

You're thinking of "Freaky Stories" and "Stickin' Around" respectively.

16. Dr.Pepper

I used to love that show. Back when I was younger I prefered it the the '80's My Little Ponies. Well, not anymore.

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Originally Posted by Michael JJ [​IMG]
    I remember some other segments on the (Three Friends..and Jerry) show, one anthology on urban legends and another starring crudely drawn stick figures. I remember being entertained by them, but being bored by the main one. If I watched it again, all of it would probably bore me.
    Yes. And just FTR, "Freaky Stories" and Stickin' Around weren't actually part of Three Friends...and Jerry; they were merely bundled together by Fox Family under the umbrella title The Three Friends...and Jerry Show.

Stickin' Around was originally its' own series which ran for a single season on Fox Kids; prior to that, SA was a series of 1-minute fillers which ran between shows on CBS on Saturday mornings. Stickin' Around was created by Robin Steele, who was also behind the "Stick Figure Theater" segments on MTV's Liquid Television.

The Three Friends...and Jerry was a British import created by Magnus Carlson, who also created the "Robin" shorts that aired on MTV's Cartoon Sushi. One 'Robin' cartoon was used as the music video for Radiohead's song "Paranoid Android".

18. Michael JJ

Hmm...didn't know that. Well, it was on just after The Family Channel rebranded into the FOXFamily channel. I think I was less than ten then. I haven't seen it in years.

I alo remember two more shows on that network I don't think have been mentioned: What A Mess, about a dirty dog, and Rotten Ralph, a stop motion show about a prank loving cat. They were kind of dull.

19. Dr.Pepper

I was just on Cookie Jar's website, and I didn't reconize half of the shows in their library. Did some of these even play in American?

20. Michael JJ

Wow, I forgot about the Evolution animated series. That lasted only one season, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.