1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Failed Cartoon Shows: The Lame, The Dumb and the Forgettable

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Dr. Kosher, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Kosher

Dr. Kosher "The Doctor is in."

Upon doing a YouTube search, I came across this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F97...F080C368&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

It's the only known episode of Bubsy the Bobcat, of whom was known for his debut on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and Sega Genesis game consoles.

[Obviously topic related]

This reminds me of CBS's forgotten animated show, "Family Dog", which was animated by Tim Burton. If memory serves, it only lasted one season.

So, this has me thinking, which other animated shows didn't get past one or two episodes??? It's obvious why the Bubsy Cartoon didn't get it's own Saturday Morning series, but certainly, there must be others that got the same treatment.

#1 Dr. Kosher, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  2. blazecat

blazecat I have nightmare fuel!!

Well, "Da Boom Crew" was canceled after only four episodes. I haven't heard from that show ever since.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Fish Police (CBS, 1992)- a prime-time "fish noir" cartoon based on the comic of the same name. Gone after 3 episodes.

The Legend of Calamity Jane
    (Kids' WB!, 1997)- the animated adventures of the legendary Wild West whip-wielder. Yanked after about 3 episodes.

Brats of the Lost Nebula (also Kids' WB!, 1998)- a sci-fi puppet show from Jim Henson Studios. Gone after 3 episodes in the US, although Canada's YTV carried all 13 epsiodes from the show's first (and only) season.

4. Chazooma

Chazooma =' 3 '=

Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island,
    it lasted for 1 season of 13 episodes.

5. soundmonkey44

soundmonkey44 Melancholic Man.

Generation O: A short lived band cartoon from KidsWB, I thought it was OK, But i guess not to many others did.

(Then again im a sucker for band shows.)

6. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Speaking of Bubsy, that reminds me of the one episode Battletoads pilot.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked Generation O and Detention during the few times I had chances to watch them, though I don't think there was a lot that was memorable about them. There are way too many failed cartoon series that I've liked.

8. Blipsy

Blipsy Tara's been a bad girl

The American version of "Creature Comforts" only lasted 3 episodes before getting cancelled. I wasn't really surprised, though. Putting a claymation series that consists of nothing but animals dryly talking about their lives on primetime CBS was a recipe for disaster, even though the show itself was OK.

"Whatever Happened To Robot Jones" only lasted for 13 episodes. 6 episodes aired in 2002, and after those failed to get good ratings, the other 7 didn't air until a year later, and at a pretty bad timeslot for a kids' show to boot. Also, in the first 6 episodes, Robot Jones had an actual computer voice, but in the later episodes, the network gave him a normal kid voice, and they redubbed the old episodes, too. This got rid of a lot of the show's appeal, in my opinion.

9. strawberryjuice

strawberryjuice Active Member

Butt Ugly Martians: dear God, what this show awful.
    You get unappealing characters,crappy CGI animation, UGLY character designs and horrible storytelling. The show was lame,boring and stupid as heck. How long did this show last anyways?

10. Chazooma

Chazooma =' 3 '=

26 episodes, I think.
    Surprisingly.

Another I just remembered is Super Duper Sumos,
    lasted for 25 episodes.
    I don't remember much of this show except the sumos using their butt powers or something.

11. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

Family Dog

I love, love, loved this show as a kid, and was sorry to see it go so quickly. I wouldn't call it lame or dumb, but it definitely failed in ratings.
    I really wish the series would come to DVD someday.

12. Sam Hill

Sam Hill Active Member

Mega Babies.

Hideous character designs and nothing but 22 minutes or so of bodily function-related humor. Terrible.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought that it was a nice show too, but I agree that it wasn't really that memorable. It was decent at best.

Da Boom Crew- I know that it was mentioned before, but this was the only short lived cartoon series I could think of. I remember hearing the promos and it sounded somewhat interesting. I think what turned me off, and possibly a lot of other people, was the heavy use of slang terms in practically every character's lines. Even the villains talked like that. It just got kind of dull and annoying to listen to, so I stopped watching the show pretty much after the first episode.

14. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Capital Critters was another short-lived series that came in the wake of the Simpsons' success in the early 90s. It lasted for 13 episodes on ABC. An attempt at satirizing the Bush Sr.-era White House and American politics using mice and cockroaches living in the floorboards of the White House (and a vice presidential cat resembling then-VP Dan Quayle). Pretty lame (though guess "Fish Police" was probably lamer per its shorter lifespan)...

Steven Bochco helped produce this series (animation was by Hanna-Barbera)... imagine he had better luck the next season with "NYPD Blue."

-B.

15. Bakertoons

Bakertoons One Sly Princess
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd say that a list of cartoons that lasted more than one season is probably shorter.

That said, WB Network's attempts at prime-time cartoons (Baby Blues, The Oblongs, and Mission Hill) bombed in the ratings, and none of them even got to complete the season on the original network.

Actually ABC canned "Capitol Critters" after 7 episodes.

Three years later Cartoon Network picked it up and aired all 13.

16. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

The Critic, which was actually a GREAT show. It started off on ABC in the summer of 94 (?) with a 13 episode season, got canceled, then got picked up by Fox for an additional 10 episodes about a year later.

Then, because whoever was running Fox at the time apparently hated the show, it was canceled (again) and was bound for another season over at UPN, but something happened and the show never returned.

Then a few years later, a series of flash animated shorts appeared online, and even though a hanbful of the show's VAs returned for the film spoofs, only Jay Sherman returned for non-spoof plots, with Alice being replaced by a new girl (It was hinted that she married and divorced him).

I'm glad that the complete series set included everything (both seasons and all the web shorts), but I'd have loved to see what a third season would have brought.

17. Dr. Kosher

Dr. Kosher "The Doctor is in."

Family Dog & the Critic

Personally, I loved the Critic and Family Dog. Both shows were very good for thier times.

Yes, I forgot about the Battletoads special as well -- That didn't get past one episode as well. Personally, I think it had to do with the fact that this was poorly written and produced, and not to mention the lame slang they tried to use in it, like "Cosmotronic", "cosmically cosmic" "wimpomatic", but moreso their catchphrase, "Let's get Horny!" [Yes, they do say that.] So, it's no surprise why this didn't get past the first and only episode, especially with a catchphrase like "Let's get Horny!" [I'm not kidding either, though I wish I was.] The catcphrase sounds like something you'd hear on a badly produced animated, shock humour show if you ask me.

Edit: The catchphrase mentioned above is simply referancing the Battletoads cartoon and I mean no disrespect to TZ's rules. Thank you.

18. Eddy

Eddy there's a chicken on my head

Oh, god, Butt Ugly Martians. At least the name really fit with the show, though probably not the way they intended it to. Such a terrible cartoon.

Mission Hill was a show that was shot down way too early.

19. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Father of the Pride. I completely forgot about the thing until that thread showed up the other day.

20. Mist

Mist Celebrating 20 Years of Sonic

I heard UPN wanted to make a third season of the show, but wanted more focus on Jay and Alice's kids, because children liked watching The Critic.

Invader ZIM, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Chowder, The Oblongs, The Brak Show, Baby Blues and MegasXLR were also great shows that got cancelled.

SatAM was another show that many people got angry over its cancellation.

I'm actually glad it got cancelled. SEGA wanted to start putting SatAM characters in the games (There were cameos in Spinball and a SatAM game was in the works that never got released) It would've made the Sonic franchise a mess, with "SatAM" games developed by SoA, and canon Sonic games released by Sonic Team. Also, Robotnik died in The Doomsday Project and Season 3 was supposed to focus on an original villain created for the series. You can't have a Sonic cartoon without Robotnik!
    The series had a pretty proper ending, with the only cliffhanger being a pair of eyes. It had a pretty good run too, of 26 episodes or so. The entire series was released on DVD too. People need to just let it go. If they want more Sally, Snively and the Freedom Fighters, there's always the comics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.