EXPANSION: Adult Swim Takes the 8pm Hour Starting March 31st!

Discussion in 'The Adult Swim/Toonami Forum' started by veemonjosh, Feb 4, 2014.

1. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/04/b...im-no-1-with-younger-adults-is-expanding.html

So...Cartoon Network's primetime lineup will be reduced to a mere 1 hour per day. Meanwhile, FOX reruns gain even more airtime.

I'm speechless at this point.

2. gmster

gmster Active Member

The advertisers demanded it? Oh man.

[video=youtube;JoYWdHe4tQ4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoYWdHe4tQ4[/video]

3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

This is disappointing to hear. They already don't really use the 9PM hour that well and they certainly don't need another hour, especially when 8PM is pretty darn early to start something like Adult Swim. Not to mention that time could be better used by Cartoon Network for its premieres.

4. HombreSinNombre

HombreSinNombre Bile Spewer

They'll probably throw blocks of Adventure Time, Regular Show and Gumball on Boomerang at 8PM to make up for it.

5. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Absolutely pathetic. This is proof that CN no longer has any faith in itself as a network.

It's official: This is Jetix now. Adult Swim is dangerously close to taking up half the day.

I thought the temporary shrink to 10PM would be a wake-up call. Not even close.

*pffft* "Add in original series." What a joke!

6. Beemo

Beemo New Member

Why don't they just take the whole dang channel already and be done with it?

7. vegeta95748

vegeta95748 New Member

The exact opposite of what I wanted Adult Swim to do. I want them to lose an hour, they gain one. Wow. Just...wow.

8. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

As if I haven't missed Cartoon Cartoon Fridays enough already where I know I had a reason to watch content on a Friday from 7-11pm. This is just making me wonder like what the [bleep] is the point and seems so unnecessary. I can't help but scratch my head over this.

9. jerrymouse16

jerrymouse16 Sonic and Amy Forever!!!

My reaction:

Community - No no no no - YouTube

Wow. just wow. I already feel bad for all the kids out there who don't get any of the other kids channels like The Hub, Disney XD, etc. and/or don't want to watch Disney channel or Nickelodeon. So, where do premieres of some of CN's shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc. go?

10. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

A few of them have been airing in the 7PM hour for a while now. The rest will most likely just migrate to that hour.

11. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    ...And get cancelled thoroughly for not having enough viewers... ALL OF THEM. IF this doesn't lead to CN's end by at least this decade, nothing else will - besides lack of interest by viewers in the channel.

This is just another cash grab that will cost more than they bargained for - and dearly, too - unless it's anime shown ONLY on Saturday, little to none of AS's programming aspires greatness nor encourages what is truly another bad move by leadership that should've been removed a long time ago.

CN is so going to be finished off (by two other channels who aren't improving all that much, either, BTW!) by the end of this decade - I can feel the rants, hate, rage, and destruction from miles away, knowing where I'm typing from.

I'd start waving goodbye to any of CN's primetime efforts at this point - they are all going to get canned by the time this is over with...

12. Dragonpiece

Dragonpiece New Member

This isn't good news at all, Adult Swim already has enough hours as it is and it's beginning to cut into time we could enjoy Cartoon Network.

On the subject of Boomerang becoming a ad channel, I am guessing they will slowly start adding new cartoons they don't see doing well on CN and slowly have it be competition with Nicktoons and Disney XD.

13. TheCtes

TheCtes Active Member

Wow, didn't see that one coming at all. What terrible news.

14. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Indeed - unless AS starts actually adding variety in general - like more good anime, or better yet - BETTER ORIGINAL PROGRAMMING in general, there is no way this is a good thing - for anyone, not even the cash grabbers who really think this is "good business".

Nickelodeon and Disney Channel are going to start winning again for all the wrong reasons (and neither channel deserves to, IMHO - due to how they aren't improving, period, despite "news" telling me the opposite...).

15. Tech

Tech I don't have a title

I'm expecting absolutely nothing worthwhile being added to the schedule. Just more of the same we've seen before.Also remember that Adult Swim repeats itself halfway through the night expect on Saturdays, so they're actually adding only one show to the schedule. Adult Swim will have about 42% of this channel's airspace.I used to believe that the 8PM was untouchable by Adult Swim. I even thought that when CN got the 9PM hour back they would decide to keep it. But after hearing this news, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed the 7PM hour, or even the 6AM hour.

Prediction of schedule:
    8PM - 9PM: King of the Hill
    9PM - 10PM: The Cleveland Show
    10PM - 11PM: American Dad
    11PM - 12PM: Family Guy

16. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

"Is this expansion really necessary??"

Points to anyone who gets that reference.

17. adyniz

adyniz Surgeon of Death

From the press release:

18. Mohji

Mohji Member

Am I the only one who had to double-check the date to make sure it isn't April Fool's Day?

19. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

I'm trying not to laugh at the irony of this. Everyone was hoping CN would gain an hour back but instead it LOSES one!
    Me....I don't really mind this. It's been made clear before that Adult Swim gets better ratings and makes more money than Cartoon Network, so it makes sense it gets more airtime. This isn't because "GRR! Evil TV execs ruining my life DURR!" But because people LIKE Adult Swim, hence the better ratings. It's simple supply and demand.
    Also, I can barely watch any of the shows that air on CN in the 8pm timeslot anyway, it goes right up against shows me and my family like to watch on the broadcast networks. Now CN can try to squeeze their shows in the more preferable 7pm hour slot. Maybe even stop doing the "one half a new episode, other half repeat" shtick.
    And last and more important of all, I'm getting rid of cable TV so it doesn't matter to me anyway! I'll just watch the episodes on iTunes or whatever.

20. Silverstar

Silverstar Game On!

It's official: for better or for worse, Adult Swim is the new Jetix.