Everything's Archie: General Archie Thread

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Shawn Hopkins, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

This is a thread just for Archie news, speculation, discussion of old Archie stories, talk about character relationships, favorite stories, discussion of Archie knockoffs, discussion of Archie merchandising and licensing, pretty much anything to do with the Riverdale gang. I know we have a lot of Archie fans here but probably not enough to justify talkbacks for individual issues, especially an issue of Pep from 20 years ago that I might want to talk about.

So, is anyone picking up the Archie Archives volumes Dark Horse is putting out? This is actually a golden age of Archie archive material, with the archives and the creator specific volumes appearing regularly you can get the old stuff in higher quality than ever. I got the smaller Archie First volume and I'm really enjoying it, although the coloring looks a bit weird. It's neat to see Archie in the original "itchy" style before things smoothed down, and I can see why he caught on because even his first adventure is fun and adventurous.

Second, I want to talk about the Dan DeCarlo surreptitious cheescake bra. This is something I've seen in an old My Friend Irma and an issue of Betty and Me. The setup is an innocent dressing scene, with another woman there as the character changes clothes, that gives DeCarlo a chance to spice up the book with some bra action. The Betty and Me that I have with one of these scenes in it is from before the code was relaxed in I think 1971, making it actually a pretty flagrant violation of comic book standards at the time. I actually feel like Archie managed to get away with more cheesecake than any other publisher would have at the time, maybe because they were such an important backer of the Code but also because their humor style softened the blow a little bit. Also, it was probably assumed, although I doubt accurately, that the readers of Betty and Veronica books were all girls. Anyway, anyone else have opinions about cheesecake in old Archies? Examples to talk about? If you have scans post them.

Finally, this is what motivated me to post the thread. Under all the wholesomeness I guess the people who make Archie comics are just people. The treatment of Dan DeCarlo over the Pussycats is probably the shabbiest I've seen in the comics industry, and when you're talking about an industry that screwed over geniuses like Siegel and Shuster and Jack Kirby that's saying something. And this news story about an Archie editor's alleged inappropriate behavior is just bizarre. It's a little spicy, so use your judgement. When I imagine Archie editorial meetings I never really figured they'd include people bursting in and saying the word for the male sex organ over and over.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...in_suit_for_crude_office_behavior_bullyi.html

2. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

3. Shawn Hopkins

Good call. Also talk about the comic strip here. I think it's new, actually, sometimes it has topical references.

Apparently it's done by Craig Boldman and Henry Scarpelli. And written, if you follow the Comics Curmudgeon, by the Archie Joke-Generating Laugh Unit 3000.

But then, sometimes, there are jokes like this:

[​IMG]

Who has a phone like that anymore? A teenage girl would just look at that in bewilderment.

4. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes PBS: We rock harder than MTV

A lot of opening-thread questions!

Re: comic strip: I believe they're reprinting the 80s-era ones currently, thus the outdated technology and clothes now appearing. Though they seem to be pulling a "digest" and updated some of the references ("VCR" got changed to "DVD" in one strip). Wonder why the reruns, though...

Re: the books: I plan on buying the paperback "Best of Archie" collection. Lately, I've also been buying the digital format comics (to save on space I'm running low on for floppies), though "Life With Archie" is still bought at the newsstand.

Re: cheesecake: Plenty of Archie material, despite being aimed at kids, seems to fall under "cheesecake", at least for the girls. No idea if they'll ever give the teenage girls reading (or the non-hetero teenage guys) something via a "Kevin Keller goes to the beach" issue :p

Re: that sexual harassment lawsuit: Not sure who to believe; on her side, she did complain about sexism in the industry in the past (and Archie, like Marvel/DC, have had a boys' club mentality for way many years...). Plus, she could've done it on purpose (giving the staff their a taste of their own medicine?). On the other hand, even if she did do it out of harassment reasons, seems potentially embarrassing/reputation-harming to make it into a big public lawsuit ("Archie boots female CEO"/"Archie in Sexual Harassment Lawsuit!"). And then, there's the whole thing possibly just a power-play between the two heirs of the company (or an attempt to oust the critical-of-boys'-club-mentality female CEO), which would make the lawsuit even more publicly tarnishing the company...

Finally, not sure if I linked to it already, but my blog review of the first issue of Kevin Keller's own miniseries:
    http://www.anthonynotes.com/2011/06/17/comic-review-veronica-207-kevin-keller-1/

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Because Henry Scarpelli made the thing and he recently died. Instead of replacing him, it went into reruns.

I didn't know about the Archie Archive; where can I find more about it? This seems to be a golden age for reprints (and they claim print is dead).

As for Nancy: those are the dangers of a corporate dynasty. Being someone's wife doesn't make you qualified enough to be a CEO, especially if your previous background is "third-grade teacher." (She must have been an interesting teacher. Getting Cameron Diaz visions here.)

6. Shawn Hopkins

Just search on Amazon. It reprints Archie stories from the start. If they're anything like my Archie Firsts they're good quality, although kinda light on the kind of supplemental materials that might give historical context.

There's also the best of Dan DeCarlo volumes and, maybe more exciting, best of Harry Lucey, Stan Schwartz and Stan Goldberg volumes that are either out or coming.

7. Anthonynotes

Would think a teacher of third-graders (Archie's target demographic) would know something about appealing to said audience (or steering efforts to do so anyway). It'd explain the comic fairs, I suppose.

Still, not sure I have enough info to know if it's sexual harassment, a fight for control of the company between the heirs, her trying to give the others a taste of their own medicine, an attempt to keep a "boys' club" atmosphere, or a combination of some of the above. But guess we'll see how things turn out...

Re: the comics themselves, which particular Archie books do you buy regularly (or semi-regularly)? For me, seems to be "Archie & Friends" (for the ancillary characters---Chuck, etc.) and "Veronica" (for Kevin) the most lately, with"Archie" and "Betty & Veronica" behind...

8. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

9. Peter Paltridge

Er....um....I don't get it. They already have a set of characters like these; they're called Archie and the Gang.

10. Astrolupine

Astrolupine Man on the wing.

From childhood slapstick to angsty teen drama... Wow.

At least Mr. Jinx still has his bushy eyebrows.
    I wonder if they'll be bringing back that buck-toothed kid and his imaginary worm friend back as well...

11. Anthonynotes

12. Anthonynotes

13. Peter Paltridge

There are Archie solicitations? .....I guess at least people want to know what happens to Sonic....

I'll be the judge of that. Whatever happened to Bill Golliher anyway? I hope he's not dead.

Oh dear, remember when this guy was editor in chief of all Marvel Comics? That's a pretty large fall. He wrote for Archie in the past but....that was the 70's....
    I should look on the bright side. Surely, Quesada will be writing Betty and Veronica in 20 years!

14. Shawn Hopkins

Whoa, that Betty and Veronica Double Digest looks saucy. I wish Dan Parent could draw their faces better, though. Also, there's a fantasy slumber party pillow fight on the regular Betty and Veronica book. It's kind of comforting to see Archie still bringing the cheesecake in a book that's technically for little girls.

Also, I've got to get that Palin/Obama book eventually. It might be kind of hard for me to stomach because I flipped through an issue and it's all nicey nice, and there's one of these politicians, better not say which, that I definitely don't want to see treated nicey nice.

15. Anthonynotes

Point of the Obama/Palin book was partially to show everyone being treated nicely in Riverdale no matter their political beliefs. (That and the comic fad of "Obama on the cover = sales boost", which seems to have finally petered out.) Also, trashing a particular current politician in what's normally a neutral comic = loss of sales/turning off some readers...

Guessing sales weren't hurt much by the "I'm not buying this book because I don't like Obama/Palin" factor. I thought the story was OK, with both politicians treated respectfully.

16. Anthonynotes

Archie solicitations for November 2011

Archie's solicitations for November 2011:

http://www.majorspoilers.com/solicitations-archie-comics-for-november-2011

I’ll be buying:

Betty #195
    Betty and Veronica Double Digest #196
    Kevin Keller #4 (of 4) (Veronica #210)
    Life With Archie #15

I might buy:

Archie & Friends Double Digest #11
    B&V Friends Double Digest #219
    Jughead #210

More thoughts on this month's releases on my blog...

17. Peter Paltridge

I was surprised to see a cover recently that stated both Simon Cowell and Jennifer Lopez would be appearing as themselves. Archie has NEVER sprung for celebrity licensing, EVER. They always make up parody names instead, going all the way back to "Glock Cable" in the 1940's.

Well, I guess there was that one time they paid for the appearance of "Cousin Brucie," but that was truly pointless.

18. Shawn Hopkins

They've been doing more of that lately. I keep seeing comics with these really obscure real-life tween oriented bands and singers popping up in them. And the Obama/Palin issue. And of course there was the Veronicas debacle that ended up with them appearing in the comics.

I honestly don't think you have to pay to use a real person in a comic, there's a whole industry of celebrity biography comics and they're totally low budget and unlicensed. And, you know, Mad Magazine. But you do have to be careful about how you depict that person because they can sue you if they don't like it and it's not obviously parody. Amy Grant sued Marvel once because they used her picture on a "Satanic" Dr. Strange comic. Archie is super cautious about stuff like this so I can understand why they usually use fake names. And if they do something like this they do it with the cooperation of the celebrity.

19. Shawn Hopkins

Does anyone know if there's a way to get Betty The Vampire Slayer Vs. Vampironica in print? It's a crossover of three of my favorite things, the idea alone makes me squee, but I don't have any way to view it digitally.

20. Shawn Hopkins