1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Even if The Simpsons or Family Guy gets canceled this year...

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by dumbfoolkid5, Mar 14, 2017.

1. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

It still won't change the fact that the big networks want only comedy cartoons about dysfunctional families or buddy sitcoms. And no drama action or anything else at all because comedy is where the ratings are. And people want that and the networks sees it that way.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

If those shows got canceled then there would be no block. But seriously those two are the only things keeping it alive as well as Bob's Burgers the only one with quality.

3. dumbfoolkid5

I didn't say they were for real I'm just saying they'll probably create another show with a dysfunctional family because that's what the network wants.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

4. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Or they could just...NOT do animation. That's another possibility.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Simpsons is going to last until it's 30th season. I think it's inevitable at this point, and that's only 2 years away now...but they might want to think about closing up shop after that.

Family Guy, eh....I guess it could last till it's 20th season, but that's 5 years away. And...I cringe at the idea of Family Guy lasting past 2020...

6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, and it's already happening to some extent. The Last Man on Earth is live action. Making History is live action. Son of Zorn is partially live action. I feel like they're headed in that direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Yeah. FG just doesn't seem to be funny anymore. They just keep using repeated plots and long cutaways and things like that. I think the show has seen it's days years ago, but right now it's one of the few things keeping "Animation Domination" alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

9. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Both shows are always popular picks even for the mediocrity that they have had over the years they are both well known that they would do good.

10. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

While The Simpsons and Family Guy would be replaced by another dysfunctional family cartoon, that/those cartoon/s would at least have some quality for a few years before nosediving.

11. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

There's also the kids' channels to consider too

The Simpsons & Family Guy aren't the only cartoons keeping comedy alive

What about CN with Teen Titans Go or Nickelodeon with SpongeBob and The Loud House?

Getting rid of The Simpsons and FG will NOT stop comedy cartoons from being produced!

• Funny Funny x 1
    #11 Mikurotoro92, Jul 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  12. dumbfoolkid5

Do networks absolutely need another animated dysfunction family?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

13. SparkleMan

SparkleMan Well-Known Member

Sadly, it doesn't look like it's stopping soon.
    You wanna know why? Because dysfunctional families are "so funny and don't get repetitive!"

14. dumbfoolkid5

A family or friends of family that gets into situation after situation with some or no change. I'd call that very repetitive!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Okay a few things with this thread.

1. I find saying something like "if the Simpsons gets cancelled this year" without having any news or tidbits from the actual staff honestly rather eyerolling even for hypothecial what ifs around here. The Toonzone forums first really started around 2001 and even THEN there were "The Simpsons suck now it should end" or "this will be the last year of the Simpsons it's going to finish after this" and yeah all of those have been unfounded claims as the show has still gone on. You can talk about it if something actually does effect the production (like when it seemed like Harry Shearer was leaving the show, or Alf Clausen being fired a couple of weeks back) but just posing these threads themselves are rather ridiculous.

2. Also thinking about it what of the "Big Networks" even plays animation anymore other then FOX? If you're talking about standard brodcast networks they are the only ones as without even a Saturday morning cartoon block on a standard channel animation on the major networks is otherwise a dead art form as you'll need at least cable to find any sort of cartoons. So honestly if Simpsons or Family Guy end (which would probably also end Bob's Burgers) I just see animation being totally gone from Prime Time TV. Animation had a peak of interest in prime time in the late 90s/early 2000's with the success of stuff like South Park and King of the Hill proving there is a crowd interested in stuff beyond just the Simpsons but... that bubble burst over a decade ago and there hasn't been any real prime time cartoons since. So when the Simpsons/Family Guy winds up ending on FOX I say at least until things majorly change that's the end of prime time animation

3. If the point is that there are a stale type of cartoons made out there... honestly variety has always been an issue in cartoons. In Japan anime has a wide spectrum of emotions and genre but in the US there typically is at most two but nowadays seems to really only be certain kinds of comedy. But that has been something that effects more then just prime time and is a genearl issue worth talking about. And yeah Simpsons and Family Guy have a play in that but the problem is bigger whether or not they're still around.

16. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Pretty sure Sprakleman was being sarcastic on the "it never gets repetitive" argument.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

And it's gotten more predictable, too. Every episode has to have at least one depiction of blood, and/or at least one bleeped-out swear word.

18. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I agree. Seems like both "The Simpsons" and "Family Guy" have gotten less and less clean-cut over the years. The longer the shows run, the longer that will keep happening. Something to think about.

19. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

IMO, Simpsons had seen better days. The newer episodes are really bland, uninspired, and nothing special for the most part. Doesn't help the voice actors sound like they don't want to be a part of the show anymore, esp. Harry Shearer and Julie Kavner. I'm tired of seeing Homer and Marge's marriage in trouble, Bart getting a girlfriend, etc. Such a shame because it was such an awesome show early on. On the other hand, Family Guy is less boring these days. (Again, this is my opinions) Sure the show had been shocking and raunchy these days, but the gore and force censorship had been toned down in the past couple seasons (Season 12 was when the show started to become less foul-mouthed, though I'm not sure if the DVD version is more profane).