1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Equestria Girls - News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Bakertoons, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Sparkster24

Sparkster24 Well-Known Member

Well, The Hub Network has been showing a promo that's a likely teaser for the TV premiere of "Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks".. which will pretty much be on October 17th. Which also would be 4 days before the official rebrand after from being "Discovery Family".

2. SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX Active Member

Starting from this Round Stable post, there's pretty good evidence that the rumored Equestria Academy is actually just the French dub of Rainbow Rocks. Most importantly, there have been no American trademarks related to Equestria Academy, and there is a popular French music talent show called Star Academy (pointed out in a later post on that page), with several other things evoking the name with the format ___ Academy; Equestria Academy would just be another in that line.

That said, the ending of Rainbow Rocks and things that the show crew have said seem to make it clear that more Equestria Girls stuff is coming, but that will probably be later rather than sooner.

On that subject, it occurs to me that despite everyone saying that Rainbow Rocks gives hope that they are capable of doing more with Equestria Girls, it feels like there isn't much more they can do for big event movies. The first was the school dance, the second was the battle of the bands. The other big high school movie subject tropes are a visit to a foreign country (where another love interest is introduced for the lead who is never mentioned again after this movie), the hiking trip (where some characters get lost), and the beach trip (where one of the characters gets a curse somehow), none of which would really seem to benefit from the MLP characters. Plus, having a big event movie that bronies flock to theaters to watch be one involving the characters in swimsuits just seems like it would lead to discomfort and awkwardness for everyone. It does seem the best path to continue forward that would develop the stuff from Rainbow Rocks that people actually want to see developed would be to make a TV series.

3. Magic Song

Magic Song TwilightSparkleandRavenRo th

I really hope there's no EG tv series. Not after how mediocre the first movie was and how awful Rainbow Rocks was. I also hope we won't get a third movie either but, sigh... Who I'm I kidding....

4. SigmasonicX

Supposed details about Equestria Girls 3, which will apparently be called Friendship Games; or at least, that's the name of the toy tie-in. I guess those complaining about the lack of games in "Equestria Games" are getting their wish, sort of, though humans playing sports are automatically less novel. The story supposedly involves the Wonderbolts (probably actually the Wonder Colts, the school team) facing the Shadow Colts in a series of sporting events, including hockey. It's kind of odd that we're getting two competitions in a row. I do agree with the one who posted about this, that it's odd that the merchandise isn't more sporty, given the subject.

5. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

That sounds weird. A sporting competition event like the Olympics? The way this sounds it reminds of the old Sports cartoon shorts that used to air on Nickelodeon. If it anything like that, sign me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHwH33Lqh2g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEQ6mrAe1L4

6. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That's because the role play toys are likely to be Nerfed. Just compare that image of Fluttershy's bow versus the Rebelle bow, and I think Nerf branded MLP:EG toys are on the way for this movie. Role play toys should have a bigger merchandising focus than the dolls this time IMO. Also:

7. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I actually like the idea behind Equestria Girls 3. Almost anything related to sports gets people to talk, whether it's 11 minutes (Spongebob 's "Extreme Spots"), 22 minutes (MLP's "Equestria Games" and "Fall Weather Friends"), or longer (Friendship Games). In any case, I'm looking forward to it.

8. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

There's a Equestria Girls 3? AWESOME!

9. SigmasonicX

Friendship Games has officially been announced for 2015. Apparently we're getting shorts for this too, though that's not mentioned in this article.

Looks like Applejack and Rarity have been left out of official art again, which looks as garish as usual. Given that we don't know who the right three character are, I'm guessing they are part of Twilight-as-antagonist's team.

10. zoombie

Twilight is going to be the main antagonists, this sounds interesting, I always wanted her to become the second Nightmare Moon, but I am sure it is not that type of situation, but I do think this Twilight probably has the same who needs friends attitude that Twilight had in the first two episodes, and she probably have the same development that pony Twilight had in the first two episodes.

Well since this is sports, and this is all magical girls genre, perhaps this some of what we could be seeing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K16fdhw2j9E

11. SweetShop209

Those designs are interesting, to say the least. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the movie. Maybe season 5 will come out in April, and the movie will come out in October, maybe around October 10, since it coincides with Columbus Day Weekend.

12. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

Well, this came out of complete nowhere. Just when you thought they were done releasing Rainbow Rocks stuff, in comes THREE new music videos with full animation.

"Life is a Runway", "My Past is Not Today", and "Friendship Through the Ages". I'm not sure if they were produced months ago or what, but it's intriguing how they're only now being released.

13. zoombie

Well since the previous music video that are on the Rainbow Rocks DVD are suppose to take place between the first and the second movie, and they were on the Rainbow Rocks, these videos looks like it is doing the same filling the gap between the 2nd and 3rd movie, so they should be on the third movie DVD.

14. SweetShop209

Those music videos are awesome! This franchise (FiM and EQG) keeps getting better and better.

15. SigmasonicX

"Life is a Runway" - Didn't like this, and Rarity's dresses were actually rather bad looking.
    "Friendship Through the Ages" - Liked the beginning (which was oddly shippy), but it felt like one of those songs that keeps on building up without a real climax.
    "My Past is Not Today" - When the music started, I was thinking, "Oh, this is going to be good," ... but then the singing started and the song turned out to be quite mediocre.

Overall, I wouldn't say any of the songs are all that good, and really, only the second goes above mediocre in my mind.

Anyway, people have been theorizing that these are songs that were cut from Rainbow Rocks.

16. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

It's a shame we don't get any shorts with the Dazzlings.

17. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Here are some updates on Equestria Girls: Friendship Games.

The Worldscreenings page on Worldscreen now says there are 3 Equestria Girls movies running at 72 minutes each. That is not be a surprise to hear Friendship Games will be the same length as the other two movies.

In the MIPTV digital edition of TV Kids, on page 24 (it is listed as page 22 on the actual page itself), there is a small section about Hasbro Studios, and notably, the name of the other school in Friendship Games will be the Crystal Prep Academy. The MIPTV event is later this month, April 13-16, and it is possible we may get a trailer of Friendship Games from that event, so news might be arriving about the new movie very soon.

18. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I wonder who'll be Principal, Cadance or Sombra?
    Maybe Sombra as Principal and Cadance as Vice-Principal.

19. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/07/01/my-little-pony-comic-con-exclusive/29568545/

Alright, here we go - the first footage for Friendship Games. Not sure if this one will be in theaters or not, as they only mention a TV date of September 26th, but either way, it's not too far by now.

20. SweetShop209

September 26 on TV? That's quite unusual, but I look forward to it. The first movie was just plain good, in my opinion. The second one was great, and this third movie makes me more optimistically curious. Bring it on!