1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Wonderland "WTF" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Cartoon Sushi

Well, I'm sure this is going to end well for all parties involved.

I've learned a lot over the years about how to apply CG to comics properly, which was introduced with Electric Wonderland (fittingly). I think I can be a little more lax about that thing with the premise of a virtual world, but it blends in better when it's rendered as lineart (meaning it's self-colored) and the models are kept very simple (to mesh with my drawing style). Every building in this story is CG but you can hardly tell, as opposed to a lot of the buildings that appeared five years ago.

The exception is the NFP office, which can't be changed at this point. Though a remodeling is always a possibility.

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

The fact that I haven't had any romantic relationships yet makes it hard for me to relate to this story so far, but the gag about the number of guys Suē cheated on NJ with equaling the number in the name of the Five Guys parody felt both sad and funny. Parker's cameo also surprised me, especially since NJ might not remember him in this timeline.

3. rockmonster

rockmonster Member

:ack: I really don't know which direction I want this to go. Let's wait and see...

4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Electric Wonderland: WTF (temp page)

It's very eerie how perfectly this whole incident fits into the Electric Wonderland universe. NJ is exactly the type who would post private info online when spurned, and he works for a "news" organization.

I wrote this last August and I figured the whole thing would be dead by the time Free Spirit and Pi finished and it finally appeared. Not only is it not dead, it's far worse than it was two months ago. At this point celebrities have weighed in, businesses have been fooled, lives have been disrupted, and there's no end in sight. When I started writing no one was commenting on any of it, and now as Part 2 goes up, a lot of webcomics have already put their two cents in.

The changing climate makes me sweat over some elements of this. It was important to me the story made fun of all sides, but now that the trolls have, in the name of Gamergate, performed actions far worse than that of its opposing side, portraying Zo--er, Suē as anything less than angelic could come across as victim-blaming. Which is EVIL and WRONG and you should NEVER DO IT. It was not my intent to suggest that Suē deserves to have her life ruined.

But it wouldn't be good to cast her as innocent either. The problem with picking sides is that one side has to be 100% right and the other has to be 100% wrong, and from this thought process, people get irrationally divided into enemies. That is exactly what has happened with Gamergate. (Such a dumb name; I preferred "Quinnspiracy.") There'll be more on this in Part 3.

For those who are somehow still out of this loop, here's a summary:

Part 3 probably won't make it by next week as I really need to ramp up production on the new BANG issue. I will try to get a new article out, though, which is long overdue.

5. Dsneybuf

Call me naive, but this could possibly mark the first time I've heard about the events of Gamergate. As to whether or not this comic has done a good job so far at staying neutral, it seems to portray Zoe and her ex as two people who've done terrible things, but get punished even more harshly than they deserve. Even though Suē had all those affairs, the fact that those accusations of her making out with corporate bigwigs never became confirmed or denied makes it somewhat easier to think society has started treating her too roughly. NJ's passing of the chat logs feels hard for me to support, but I do agree with his claim that one misdeed doesn't sound like enough to call someone sexist.

6. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Electric Wonderland #18 - WTF (Page 23)

The flashback sequence is nearly exact in what actually happened, which involved the actual Jon-Tron and the actual Zoe Quinn, in the actual Game Jam sponsored by the actual Dew. Zoe walked out because the skeevy producer tried to stir up drama by asking the very question he asks here. If anything truly annoys me about the whole incident, it's that "Matti Mashem" was a far more deserving center of the Gamergate controversy than Zoe was; this was a man who was confirmed corrupt, who was a confirmed misogynist, etc. But like the story says, he wasn't a chick.

7. Dsneybuf

First of all, let me admit that I have also fantasized about beating trolls with blunt instruments (or more recently, Batista Bombs). The last conversation between NJ and Suē also felt easy for me to relate to.
    I feel kind of worried what Zoe's sympathizers would think about

#7 Dsneybuf, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2014