1. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  2. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

Electric Wonderland "The Influencer" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/electricwonderland/index.php?issue=20&page=1

I came up with the initial idea for this story awhile ago, inspired by this article: http://jezebel.com/my-niece-is-a-teenage-instagram-celebrity-1658994561

I'm glad I took so long to get around to creating it, though. When that article was written, barely anybody knew or understood what was going on here, and there was not a word for it. "Influencer" is just perfect because normally, it isn't apparent why these people are popular at all. The word makes it sound like it's some kind of mystic phenomenon, hammered home in this story by a guy in a turban calling Sierra the "Chosen One."

The new draft also dovetailed in with a problem I've noticed lately: every single person with a video series on Youtube now has a tag at the end begging you to follow them on social media. But does anyone actually do it? Those messages are so common that nobody pays attention to them anymore. Why even bother putting them in at this point? If you like them, you'll follow them -- if you don't, you won't. Begging changes nothing.

Now..a different subject. After an absence of over two years, you might be wondering where Princess Pi is. The truth is...she's getting remodeled.

As you know, the series started out as a random, anything-goes-type deal. The problem was, I gradually lost interest in that kind of thing and the comic shifted toward my natural element, satire....and the problem with THAT is, Pi is a vaguely defined character who wasn't built to handle stories of any substance. She was made to be whatever I needed her to be for the purpose of the story. If I try anything else with her, it doesn't work so well.

I don't really want to completely throw Pi away, though. It's a good character design and a good name, and I don't want to waste it. So the series is going through a massive retooling job. Here are the problems I'm trying to fix:
    • Pi will no longer be the solitary ruler of her kingdom (which will no longer be called "Piscataway"). Putting that much burden on her limited the places I could take her.
    • Pi will have friends and family, and a supporting cast. This is mainly what's making things take so long. Coming up with new characters you want to use for years isn't instantaneous, unless you want to do it wrong.
    • Pi won't be indestructible anymore. It won't be necessary because she'll have a bodyguard. I won't say more than that, except to say that this is the best new character I've come up with so far.
    • Pi could have a different personality...or she might not; it hasn't been determined yet.
    • There will be a few more Pi stories in the old format, to transition into the new format. The seeds for this have already been planted. Pi's "living relative" mentioned in her last story is the beginning of that storyline.
    • No worries about the "old" Pi stories going offline. I don't do that sort of thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

May I ask whether or not the controversy of some of JonTron's post-Election Tweets had anything to do with part 2 not appearing yet?

3. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

He only shows up in that one panel. It's not here because I've been working on the art for the new BANG issue over the last few weeks. It's almost done, so I'll be getting back to this story soon.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

There is only a day's worth of work to do on BANG before it's completed, and then I'll be able to get back to the site. Unfortunately I do not have a complete day to do a day's work, so it'll be spread out among several days.

Also, ick. I don't think we'll be seeing "Jon-Trawn" in EW for a while, if ever again.

5. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I didn't watch JonTron's stuff that often before, either.