Ebola victim coming back to United States

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Toon Master, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Toon Master

Toon Master New Member

I'm not trying to be paranoid or spread paranoia, but this is ridiculous. Nobody at the CDC is going to convince me that nobody is going to get this disease.

At least one American Ebola patient heading to U.S.

Also, hazmat suits were worn while dealing with patients and this disease still spread.

2. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

This just screams bad idea, guys. Sorry - this is some FAIL all around, unless we here in the US have some miracle cure for this quarantine required disease.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I heard this on the radio this morning. Eek.

4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Yeah, that doesn't seem very safe or smart at all.

5. Trombone77

Trombone77 Member

When I heard about this, I flashed back to when I had to read The Hot Zone in 10th grade. I am sure hoping that they got this under control.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

This sounds like the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas.

7. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

Guys, to ease your fears here's an article giving some basic info of the Ebola infected Americans being transported to the U.S.

It is not an airborne disease. It's spreading so rapidly in Africa because people in that region don't understand it and are fleeing from Western doctors. These two Americans are going to get the best care here in the U.S.

Is it little scary? Yes. Just the fact that Ebola has resurfaced in such a large scale in Africa itself is scary. But it's not "Stephen King's 'The Stand'" level of scary.

8. Toon Master

Toon Master New Member

@wonderfly It's not airborne, yet. It could very easily become airborne. Nevertheless, this is insane. Bringing two people back to this country where there has never been an outbreak and we have very little experience with it. There is no cure and it's extremely deadly. This isn't that stupid swine flu crap from 2009. This is much more serious than that. They should have kept these people in Africa and restricted flights to and from there. These people chose to go there and they should have been kept there.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

The only way it's becoming airborne is if this guy shows up.

[​IMG]

10. wonderfly

wonderfly 30 Years since Vampire Hunter D!

My concern is much more for the people of West Africa than for an outbreak here.

This article says this is the first time the virus has been in West Africa (usually it's a Central Africa problem). That's part of the problem - the people there getting sick are not as familiar with it, and that's why it's spreading so fast. Plus, this time around, it's in cities, not just rural villages.

From the article:

As for the American infected, in the video in that link, I like the CDC Director's comments stating "part of fighting this virus means you have to care for the doctors/health workers that get sick fighting it." Or something like that.

11. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

There an article from The Mirror who mentionned then a woman who taked a flight from West Africa and collapsed and died when she arrived at Gatwick, UK near London and some feared if it was due to ebola.

12. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

"Phew, looks like it wasn't."
    Well, she died from SOMETHING. I'd screen those other passengers anyway.