1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Earworms U Hate

Discussion in 'The Musiquarium' started by Peter Paltridge, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

I was in the supermarket the other day. The song on the PA system ended and a new one started. Some old dreary synth began, and if a Spider Sense ever existed, this was surely what it would feel like. I knew I was hearing something that caused me great pains a long time ago, but couldn't place it yet.

Then my fears were confirmed: Bette Midler started singing "Did you ever KNOOOOOOW that you're my HEEEE-ROOOOOO...."

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOO!!! I found the frozen food aisle and stood between the loud motors on both sides until it was over, but it didn't mask the thing completely. I couldn't guard my ears effectively enough and now I've had it on repeat in my head for the last 24 hours. I'm miserable.

Surely there are songs you can't stand, not only because they're bad but because they stick in your head. Tell your tales of woe here.

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

We're coming to the time of year when I get routinely tortured by a song I can't stand: "This Christmas". I've never been a fan of funky R&B style Christmas songs and this one in particular has always stuck in my craw. Back when I was a worker drone with an office desk job there was a single radio in our office which would be kept tuned to one station, I'd have to hear this song 3, 4, sometimes 5 times in a single day. Once I tried to switch the radio to a heavy metal station just to get a break from holiday songs, but the secretaries in my office insisted that I leave it where it was. To this day I cringe whenever "This Christmas" pipes in over a PA system.

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I hate "Good Life" by One Republic so bad. It seems like I hear it on the radio station that I listen to everyday. Honestly I didn't hate it too much at first, but now I loathe it.

4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

When I was in High School, N'Sync was the latest hot thing and I detested them simply because they were an inferior Backstreet Boys (I was fourteen, cut me some slack.) Naturally "Bye, Bye, Bye" played on every radio constantly, all the time. Probably 24/7 because they were just that in. The stupid song refused to leave my mind because I had been overexposed to it. I hated that song with a passion because it felt never ending and I haven't liked it since.

5. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

But it's September. Are they playing Christmas songs now? Oy.

Anyway, as for this, I'd say probably anything by The Fray. I can't stand emo songs already (don't get me started on Nickelback), but these guys just irk me for whatever reason. I don't even know why...they just bug me.

6. Alonso Torrejon

Alonso Torrejon Active Member

Two songs I hate:

1. Time After Time by Cyndi Lauper - After hearing it several times, it's become my least favorite song.

2. Brave by Sara Bareilles - I'd rather hear Roar by Katy Perry instead of this.

7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't hate it but Happy is the most over played song of 2014 with indistinguishable lyrics.
    The only line I can repeat is"if you feel like a room without a roof." and I can't say I ever thought of myself feeling like a roofless room before. I guess the explanation is that you aren't contained and open to the sky, or something.

This is why I sometimes am humming in the store. Not really humming but more of a Ha Ha Ha Ha while doing that thing to internally open the ears so it doesn't suppress your own voice.

Brave was used by Microsoft in their commercials for a long time. I didn't know what the lyrics were it just sounded like a plantive " I wanna see, I wanna see you bererecve" When I found out it was "I want to see you be brave" it struck me that it is the kind of thing you taunt someone with to get them to do something stupid, like buy a Microsoft tablet.

8. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

I can't stand "The Best Day of My Life" by American Authors. It's so incredibly pretentious that seemingly every "feel good" movie and commercial uses it. Last night, I even heard it being played on a promo for the upcoming ABC sitcom Black-ish, as if I need another reason to be annoyed by those promos.

9. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"Wind Beneath My Wings? Give me a break!"
    "Hey, when you get talent, then you can mouth off."

Gotta love Bette's Seinfeld episode, heh.

10. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I agree, its a pretty good song, but I'm so tired of it now.

"Gangnam Style" is another song like this. I liked it back in 2012, but by the time those Nut Job commercials (with CGI Psy!) came out it had completely worn out its welcome.

"Jingle Bell Rock" is terrible and I've hated it for years. The fact that it gets almost constant rotation on terrible PA systems only makes it worse.

11. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Here if I feel like it

All I can think of are both of the Johnny Test theme songs.............ugh........"Action Packed, Turbo Charged, Ready to Blast....."

12. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

I really, really hate "The Joker" by Steve Miller Band. And every single oldies/classic rock station plays it. It's so cheesy, and just bad. I also hate pretty much anything by John Mellencamp, and I am very annoyed by a lots of hits from the 80s.

13. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Oh jeez, how could I have forgotten this one? Whenever it comes on the radio I need to change the channel. I am so sick of hearing it, it ain't even funny.

14. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

Just about any hits from between the 30's and 80's in general... I can't name examples, because that means listening to that awful trash.

There are some exceptions, especially if it's the smooth jazz my parents listen to (and I can see why they love it, too - it is mostly awesome!)... I hated the stuff as a kid; as an adult with improved musical taste - yeah, more reasons to detest my childhood self...

15. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

So you can't stand your childhood self for having the opinion of what you have today...wait, wah?

16. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

I went to high school around the turn of the century, during the rise of the Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, and dozens of other copycat boy bands. And they were INESCAPABLE. I choose not to revisit the popular music of that era.

17. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

Our local Top 40 station has a playlist so narrow that I would not be surprised if they never added anything involving Pharrell Williams. This is the same station that, the week "Rolling in the Deep" was #1, did not play it ONCE in a six hour span. And yet they still play one-hit wonder garbage like "Tonight Tonight" by Hot Chelle Rae.

One ear-worm I hate: "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. Lazy lyrics ("girl"/"world" is the most overused rhyme ever, and then they rhyme a word with itself, not once but TWICE!), lazy melody (ohai, four chords of pop!), lazy everything.

18. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

OMG. Okay, so I don't know like any of the modern artists and don't even actively try to listen to this music, but I'm pretty sure I know exactly what song that is and OMG it's awful.

Glad I'm not the only one. It's one of those overplayed to death 80s hits. I suppose it was actually an okay song to me a long time ago, but now I don't want to hear it anymore. Especially not when I turn on the radio to a station that is supposed to be playing only 60s/70s hits.

(80s music invading Oldies stations makes me soooo angry, you have no idea)

19. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Let it Go - A once-great song that was spoiled from overexposure. Now I try to escape from whatever room is playing it.

Circle of Life - The movie version is great, but Elton John's version is unbearable. Even as a kid, I couldn't stand it.

20. rockmonster

rockmonster Member

Ugh.

I'm convinced that I'll never get What does the Fox Say? out of my head.