E3 2013 - News & Discussions

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by River26, Apr 24, 2013.

1. River26

River26 Active Member

With two months to go. Companies are starting to surface with their games lineup. Most notably with SONY having announced PS4 on February and Microsoft about to announce 720 on May 21st. As for Nintendo? Not so much this time.

Via Siliconera
    Games confirmed to show within the conference
    *(PS4)Final Fantasy (title to be fully announced, perhaps a trailer as well)

*Games to show within the conference

source
    http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/24/nintendo-will-not-hold-a-large-scale-e3-presentation-this-year/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  2. River26

River26 Active Member

Here's more on the Nintendo issue

NintendoEverything

3. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I agree with Adam Sessler on this one. It's a big mistake for Nintendo to skip the E3 press conference. While of course all eyes will be on the new consoles, that's even more reason to get out there and show that you have a strong software lineup and a reason for people to purchase your system.

And he's right about Nintendo Direct, too. Yes, there are people who wait on tenterhooks for those. The people who have already drank the Nintendo Koolaid and drank it deep. The kind of people who affectionately call it Ninty. They aren't reaching the people outside of that base that they need to to expand their market.

The other options they're giving at E3 are a closed-door, off the record retailer conference and, basically, having a booth. There are low-rent mobile game developers that will have a darned booth.

[video=youtube;_TW5OHuGoiQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TW5OHuGoiQ[/video]

4. Nightwing26

Nightwing26 New Member

While it does seem not smart to not have a conference during E3, especially with the PS4 and the NextBox showing up, but that's probably the reason why they aren't showing up. Nintendo might get kind of lost in the "true" next-gen publicity. And Nintendo Direct has proven to be a successful way to announce new games, so they may be planning a fairly large one, maybe with more info on Super Smash Bros. 4, Wind Waker HD, etc.

5. Shawn Hopkins

It "might" get lost if they had a conference. It "definitely" will if they don't. And a big Nintendo Direct is nice, for Nintendo fans, but most of gamers won't hear about it. People will see the MS and Sony conferences on TV.

6. Punisher

Punisher One Shot At Glory

I think the best strategy Nintendo could go for is to have an E3 show and show off a couple cool new things that gamers want to see, but then wait a week or so until after the windfall of the Sony and Microsoft conferences before they let out their biggest announcement, if they have one. This would hopefully steer some of the excitement back in their direction. Of course, they need some sort of major announcement for this plan to work. Not WiiU Music or something like that.

7. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

To counter Shawn's post, and because I personally am not very good at making these counter arguements, I'll put up a video from Gamesradar.

[video=youtube;r8xtgiG84kY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8xtgiG84kY[/video]

8. Shawn Hopkins

That video brings up a good point about how this will influence coverage in outlets like USA Today, which contrary to what one of those clueless guys was saying do cover video games and E3. Here's the mainstream media's story on E3. I wrote it for them in advance :):

Gamers will have a tough choice this holiday season.

(500 breathless, excited words about Sony's new console and games)

(500 breathless, excited words about Microsoft's new console and games)

Faltering Japanese gaming giant Nintendo, with no new hardware to show, chose not to hold a competing press conference for the first time in several years and retreated to a closed-door retailer conference and limited media access to a booth on the show floor. Nintendo has been stung by slow sales of its new WiiU console, which has failed to catch the imagination of the public the way its popular predecessor the Wii did. At its booth Nintendo offered a few new iterations of tried and true franchises like Super Mario Brothers and Legend of Zelda, but failed to generate the excitement that Microsoft and Sony's offerings did

9. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I've loved Nintendo ever since I was a 6-year-old obsessed with Pokemon, but I just don't think the Wii U can be saved no matter what gets announced at E3, or how they announce it. New 3D Mario? Great. New Legend of Zelda? Awesome. New Smash Bros? Fantastic. The problem is, Nintendo did this exact same thing to save the Gamecube, & we all know how that turned out. Nintendo should've either released it as it is in 2011, or they should've waited to give it some horsepower to somewhat rival the PS4/720. I'll still watch the Nintendo Directs, but Sessler's got a point: they're just echo chambers for people that are already gonna buy Nintendo products.

10. River26

River26 Active Member

For me though, I kinda like this new approach. Because considering that I'm now only following SONY's PlayStation system it would only fit. They get to focus on the newer systems.

11. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

That would be the story even if Nintendo had a conference. They're not going to reduce the price, and they only have games to spolight instead of hardware and they would get overshadowed. At least with skipping the E3 presser, and going Nintendo Direct they can stand on their own turf.

12. Gorbash

Gorbash Munchings & Crunchings

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  13. River26

River26 Active Member

Microsoft to get their Press Conference

via: Gematsu

source
    Microsoft dates E3 2013 press conference - Gematsu

14. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Don't forget the bits heralding the death of PC gaming.

15. River26

River26 Active Member

Those that to go the PS4 route this year, heads up :). Got some news for you.

via Gematsu

source
    Sony dates E3 2013 press conference - Gematsu

16. River26

River26 Active Member

Konami announces pre-E3 show

via Gematsu

source
    Konami E3 2013 pre-show set for June 6 - Gematsu

17. River26

River26 Active Member

Remember that I told you that Nintendo will not be having a conference this year? Well, this confirms it.

via NintendoEverything

source
    Nintendo officially confirms Nintendo Direct “around E3 time” | Nintendo Everything

18. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

More on what Nintendo is doing:

19. The Talon

The Talon New Member

I'd just die of happiness if I were able to play a demo of the next Smash Bros. at Best Buy. I don't want to get my expectations a little too high though, in case they decide to go with the next Mario Kart instead.

20. Radiant

Radiant Foreverrrrr!

Yes, you're getting your hopes up too high. Remember that when they said they were going to show the new Super Smash Bros., they said they would show screenshots, while the new Mario Kart and Mario 3D platformer would be playable.

Face it, the new SSB is way too early in development.