"E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Lord Dalek, May 28, 2007.

?

Rate This Movie and Post Your Comments

1. *****

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

HIS ADVENTURE ON EARTH

[​IMG]

"E.T. phone home."

Release Date: June 11, 1982
    Studio: Universal/Amblin
    Director: Steven Spielberg
    Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
    Starring: Henry Thomas, Dee Wallace, Robert McNaughton, Drew Barrymore, Peter Coyote

Plot Summary: A group of aliens visit earth and one of them is lost and left behind stranded on this planet. The alien is found by a 10 year old boy, Elliot. Soon the two begin to communicate, and start a different kind of friendship in which E.T learns about life on earth and Elliot learns about some new values for the true meaning of friendship. E.T. wants to go home, but if Elliot helps him, he'll lose a friend...

COMMENTS?

As a part of a master plan to do a talkback for every Steven Spielberg film for which one does not exist, I will be creating ones intermittently throughout the year. A box office triumph in its day, E.T. was for many years the highest grossing film of all time. Spielberg would beat his own record with Jurassic Park a decade later.

THE DALEK/SPIELBERG TALKBACK SERIES:

Duel
    The Sugarland Express
    Jaws
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

People LOVE this movie. I'm not one of them. I don't think I'll ever sit through it to try and figure out what I'm missing.

3. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I liked the movie. In fact, it's the first movie I have a very clear memory of seeing in a theater. I was just a little guy, but the movie was cool, especially the bike chase segments.

Had an E.T. Big Wheel with E.T. in the front of it in a mock milk crate. Had the action figure. Was suckered into getting the crappy Atari game. Even found myself eating Reese's Pieces since. Taped it when it FINALLY came on television, totally intact and uncut. Still refuse to watch the special edition. Learned a lot about "special editions" after my Star Wars encounters.

See, E.T. affected me more than Star Wars did. How strange is that?

4. Discloner

Discloner Spooned to death

I am in the same boat - not because it's a bad movie, but because the E.T. character totally terrifies me, always has. There is SOMETHING about it...and to this day I can't figure it out. I can watch any film in the Alien franchise and not flinch at all - but flash an clip of ET, ugh!

If I were ever outside on a foggy night and rolled a ball into a shed only to have it roll right back; I'd be back in the house with the door locked, shades down, and be sobbing in my closet before anyone else could even go to investigate.

Don't even get me started on when he's all 'white' and dying....gah. ET is, and likely will forever be one of my great irrational fears.

5. Baltofan

Baltofan New Member

I love it too.

6. Tinytooncrazy

Tinytooncrazy New Member

I t toke me a while but I did used to afird of E.T until I went on the ride

7. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

8. ToOn~g@l

ToOn~g@l Just singin' the blues

I was never a really big fan of E.T. for some reason, and this is one of the few spielburg films I didn't like. I wasn't afraid of the alien which is kind of strange because when I was younger I was afraid of everything. The music is great though I'll give it that.

9. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

spielberg apologizes for the walkie talkies:
    http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-p...ts-walkie-talkies-were-mistake-142746809.html

we got an apology from joel schumacher (http://youtu.be/r6epsGrcuTs) and now we got one from spielberg. now if we can get one from george lucas, i think everyone will be happy.

10. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

ET may have been a generational thing. They rereleased the movie 20 years later and nobody came to see it. People just don't want the Spielberg Schmaltz anymore, which this film was the apex of.

11. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

So it sounds like the Blu-Ray will only be the original version. That's great to hear. (Although I believe the original was also released on DVD, paired with the altered version when it came out.) I also liked that Spielberg apologized for the changes, which is something Lucas will never do because he honestly, truly believes he's improving his films. And hearing him talk about what his phone conversations with Lucas is like was funny, because it totally reminded me of when I talk with a particular friend of mine on the phone; we'll go on for hours talking about movies and stuff.

E.T. is a great movie, though I haven't seen it in years. I know some people like to bash it for what they consider Spielberg manipulating the audience's emotions, but they don't seem to realize that's what movies are supposed to do! LOL! There's nothing wrong with being sweet and optimistic and having a happy ending. Frankly, I wish there was more of it in movies. So many movies nowadays just seem to want to be so cynical and so depressing that it's always nice to see something with a little optimism and sweetness.

12. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I remember seeing the 2002 special edition when it was in theaters.

Let's just say I loathed it. Not saying that the movie itself is horrible (quite the opposite). But the special edition is just not a good thing.

Sure the shotguns had to be replaced after 9/11. But couldn't they have replaced those with something else or just cut the scene altogether? Or even better, maybe not edit that scene.

In short, I love the movie, but hate the special edition.