1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction Dwyr Budr (Teen Titans) (Feedback positively encouraged!)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Matt A, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

For your information, the first chapter of Standing Tall Together has been posted. Go read, go read!:D :D :D :D :D!

#321 Matt A, Jan 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  2. Rae

Rae Insert amusing comment

I have gone, I have read, and i have replied!

It was good!:)

Rae

3. Aquagirl15

Aquagirl15 Heaven's not enough

Ah man... that was so good!!! Ok I went from wanting to hurt you after the 15th chapter or so and then to a state of total shock. Ok that hurting you part was a joke...:sweat: Wow that's all I can say... wow. Matt you rock! I can't wait for the sequal and I'm already lovin' STT. I praise you for you are one of the greatest writers EVER!!!! Man... I'm still in shock. :D

#323 Aquagirl15, Jan 30, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  4. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

5. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

This post will probably bring this story up to the first page again. This could strike some interest to new members-that's good-and it could also just annoy people, as they saw it on the top of the charts for MONTHS! Anyway, now to the review:

About a month ago, after waiting for Jazzy to finish Falling Away, and Viv to get going on Renegade, I decided I'd read this strange story I'd heard rumors about. I tried to read it all in one night, but it just didn't work out. I copied and pasted all the chaps to my hard drive printed out chaps 3-6 instead. Let me just say, I was taken from the very...well...i guess it wouldn't technically be the beginning.

THe prologue was absolutely gripping. The funny thing was, it had so much major, but invisible foreshadowing. Also, it was empty. NOTHING HAPPENED! But the words used to describe this beautiful girl playing cards in front of her lover's grave were amazing. I knew I was in for the mushy mushy romance fic that I had been waiting for. DOn't get me wrong, Things like Vanishing Act and others do bring that romance feeling, but this one brought something out that I had never EVER seen. I've always stood for "Love Never Fails", and Matt showed through and through that he believed the same. Even in the closing chapters, the love, despite the emotional witdrawals, between Mike and Rae (excuse the Nicknames) was pretty much fixed. Then he pulled the ultimate twist on us...AFTER THE FRICKING STORY WAS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you change something so major like that in the prologue. And about what I said about "Love Never Fails", it doesn't, but if there's no love in the first place, well then you might as well kill yourself trying to find it.

6. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Those be some mighty fine compliments, TTG. And here's my response:

1. It's always good to bring the old favourites back into the charts. Besides, the fact that it looks fairly set to get a place in the Hall Of Fame :)D :D :D :D :D ) should get it a bit more press.
    2. I'd never been aware that people had been talking about DB. Who was spreading the good word?
    3. I did intend the prologue to an early gripper. It was my entrance to World's Finest, so I needed to make it something special. From the looks of it, I succeeded.
    4. I do indeed believe in love's capacity to be a force for good. The fact that even the most evil of people can still find redemption is something that I consider to be very important.
    5. As I explained after I posted the epilogue, my plan all along was to finish the story in a way that would completely turn the entire story on its head. Anyway, the sequal (due roughly six months from now) has been designed to raise the "WTF?" bar even higher, and at the risk of shooting myself in the foot I'll say right now that you will have never seen a story like it. It's gonna be brilliant!

Thanks for your comments TTG!:D :D :D :D :D

7. Vivace

Vivace Therapists love my money

About No. 2 it was me...I told him to read this fricken thing and told him it was the best thing since Vanishing Act. (which was the thing that got me into this fourm) I've been pressureing him to start of Standing Tall Together but he's swamped with other stories and stuff I agree with everything that TTG! said

Personally after reading this thing I was honored that a writer of your caliber regularly followed my fic. It made me feel important:D

8. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

9. Aquagirl15

Aquagirl15 Heaven's not enough

Honestly I think you deserve that spot in the hall of fame. I both voted for you on the author's thread and for DB on the stories. Although you may not have as much background information about TT as some of us that doesn't matter at all when reading your fics. It seems like you know the characters well and some of that may come from reading other fics, but in any case you write great. This is a make-up for my review for this story, which was just shock. :D

10. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Well, excess praise never hurt nobody.;)

Seriously though, the secret to my success has been research: gallons and gallons of it. Even though I've never really seen any epidodes, I've done enough background reading both on WF, other fansites and a whole bunch of everyone's fics to mean that I now know as much about the Titans as the rest of you. Simple really, isn't it?

11. Edd

Edd the dork that you fear

I had heard about it, and the title intrigued me. I intended to look for it, even before the Hall of Fame polls opened. But someone had revived it onto the first page, so I decided I'd take the opportunity to at least read the prologue.

It's not often I can say I was hooked as soon as I started reading...anything. But had my damned life not interfered, I'm certain I could have read this piece in one sitting. To read the first couple chapters and only stopping because of unavoidable responsibilities is something I've never done...save wasting time on long summer days at FanFiction.net with nothing better to do. But I digress, I wasn't bored at any point of the story; I was engaged in a great piece of literature.

Having only read one other complete fanfic on this board, I've still made my point about not really liking original characters in fanfics. You, my brilliant friend, didn't want me to. You didn't follow any of the cliché guidelines of original characters in fanfiction. Just browsing summaries I've gotten a general idea of what they're all about, in Teen Titans, anyway. They're always from one of the Titans' pasts, whether they're an old friend or a long lost sibling. Michael is a truly ORIGINAL character; he wouldn't really need a gimmick like Teen Titans to fuel an amazing story on his own. His back-story was incredibly original, and, while seemingly invincible, he also seemed very vulnerable in other ways. I try not to hate anyone, always with the thought that no one is completely evil, but that doesn't mean I liked Michael—even at the end: While he wanted to turn good last minute, he was still being selfish, like he said. He just wanted to be remembered as having tried to do the right thing, and while this is admirable in its own way, as soon as I learned his age and that he was basically immortal I couldn't shake the feeling that he wanted to finally die. Part of the reason I absolutely loved the epilogue, implying the whole "revelation" thing was planned. But he had good inside him; that's what counts. :) (Not sure if this point belongs in this paragraph, but I had made the connection to Michael’s betrayal and Terra’s and was very happy that Beast Boy thought about it.)

It appeared that substantial research went into Michael's ties with history, but have to applaud you on your Titans research. Having not seen much of the series didn't stop you from writing a beautiful story (or middle of one ;) ) using the characters. My only gripe was how quickly Raven fell in love and how easily she accepted and showed it, but for all I know that is how she'd act. Maybe I'm being narrow-minded after all of the brooding that went into my piece, which, as you know, basically revolved around that concept.

It took quite a while for the actual plot to start up, but before that it was like a great sitcom; each chapter pretty much stood alone as an episode in its own right. Little bits of a story being revealed every now and then. Of course it was all needed for the wonderful characterization. I'm much more of a fan of emotion-driven writing, but the action sequences were very well-written; something I really admire, as it's my weakest point. Of course I also admired the greatest emotion I've seen in fanfiction as well as an incredibly detailed plot. While I'll admit that parts of my fanfic had a few emotional bits I'm pretty proud of (though they pale in comparison to these), the emotions made the plot seem more intricate than it really was; it was essentially a weak plot that I could barely base a story on. Meanwhile, you've created a legend on all fronts.

And I feel I MUST point out...Winnie the Pooh. I grew up loving Pooh Bear, whether by choice or because my mother (a fanatic, herself) crammed it down my tiny throat, I'm not sure. But I feel a connection to the material, simply by growing up with it. But for...certain...reasons...I look back at my younger self as a different person; one that I most nearly hate. So I awkwardly loved that Michael, the embodiment of your darker qualities, was a fan of Pooh.

What I'm saying is...this fanfic may have very well been the best thing I have ever read. Granted, I'm only 15, but I don't foresee anything surpassing that.

--Kevin "Kaipazu Kebin" Kypers
    Edd

#331 Edd, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005
  12. Rae

Rae Insert amusing comment

Wow Edd, that was an essay and a half!

Well all i have to say is

Congrats Matt on winning best Author and for this story coming joint first with CGs 'A Girl Called Crow'

You are an excellant writer and this is an excellent story so you deserve it!

Rae

P.S. One more vote and there would have been three Brits in the authors hall of fame! Shame, but the top two are both Brits so that'll have to do!:p

13. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Well, I thank Edd for his praise (and believe me, praise from that dude is something to be valued...), and I thank you guys for making this story win (well, come joint 1st at any rate, which is close enough for me). Thanks guys!:anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime:

14. DKH

DKH Member

At this time I would like to congratulate Matt for his impressive double HOF win.

For awhile I thought those Batman stories were going to be first but I guess he showed them.

Oh, and about his story, Dwyr Buddr

[​IMG]
    Meet Pennsylvania Treasurer Budd R. Dwyer, In his final picture before putting that Magnum in his mouth and pulling the trigger.

Even though the story's name means "Dirty Water" in Welsh. I still would like to think this guy was somewhat related to the story, weather or not that was the authors intention.

Back to Budd: He was convicted of corruption and was found guilty. He held a televised press conference and thanked everyone for thier support while looking obviously nervous. He started to hand out manilla envelopes to people in the room. It was later revealed they were specific suicide notes directed to his son's and his wife, Joanna, who was not present at the conference (They were not advised to go by Budd himself).

Then he pulled out one last manilla envelope and pulled out a .357 Magnum, and keep in mind that this is being televised live, and caused a bit of panic with people shouting at him not to do it, needless to say he didn't listen.

He then uttered his last words, "Stay back, This..This might hurt someone!", then he put the gun in his mouth, closed his eyes, and pulled the trigger.

As the Pennslyvania citizens saw this on live television, the director at the event was heard over the chaos saying "Keep Rolling" Budd R. Dwyer was pronounced dead at the scene.

If you look hard enough on the internet you can find the video and see it if you want. I'm not providing any links because I'm pretty sure it breaks one rule or another.

15. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Random, but interesting. I suppose that it could be relevant to the story, in as much as they both touch on the idea of "if you're gonna do something, do it properly".

Ta,
    Matt A

16. RavenofAzerath~

RavenofAzerath~ military brat :b

i'm confused.....

RoA~
    See Above