1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction Dwyr Budr (Teen Titans) (Feedback positively encouraged!)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Matt A, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Sproxie

Sproxie Active Member

She could've been sick in some other way.... like, um.... :sweat: lets just wait for the epilogue....
    I really don't wanna imagine that.... a Mini-Micheal....? *shudders*

2. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

:eek: !

Seriously though, getting that kind of praise from the best writers on this entire forum - and that includes Sprox and Ghost, in case you're feeling left out - means a hell of a lot to me. Even though I had actually intended this chapter to be quite upbeat, albeit in a strangely sorrowful kinda way. Oh well, at least I got the second bit right...

You know what my secret is?

Research. Gallons and gallons of it. I've read pretty much the entire of the WF site from front to back, not to mention nearly every story on this forum. Besides, I've got a genius set of characters to work with: the beauty of the Teen Titans is that they're very easy characters to get a handle on, and once you've had a short while to get to grips with them second-guessing their thoughts and actions becomes quite simple. And this comes from a man who can't second-guess for toffee.

Yes, I do have a sequel planned. However, I have two or three other fics that I intend to write first, so it's probably going to be another year or so before I get round to it. If you're going to be absolutely desperate for details on it - which I have a sinking feeling that you already are - then what I'll say is that it is based on three key plot threads. One was hinted at in the last chapter, and based on this quote...

...I'd say that you've all but figured it out already. The second plot thread will be hinted at in the epilogue (yes Rae, there is going to be one) and as for the third...well, I'm going to save it for DB2 itself, but all I'll say for now is that it involves a choice of villain that's so controversial that it may well get me kicked off the site. Which isn't a bet, in case the mods are reading this.:sweat:

Anyway, back to the earlier subject of epilogues. I've had to request some information on it, and I can't start writing 'till I get my answers. Either way, you should get it by the end of the week.

Ta,
    Matt

PS: Anyone like my new sig? Specifically the song lyric bit...

3. Kregor8

Kregor8 Communitas Ex Nihilo

Ok, I need to be in bed in 3 mins, or I'll be grounded, so I'll just spit this out.
    Excellent, excellent, excellent. Sorrowful, yes. Upbeat, no. Semi-Demon-spawn, woah (in Raven's own words). Story, great. Hall-of-fame? If I have anything to do with it. Which I ought. But anyway. Got to dash, and I'll be back for the epi.

7<regor

4. ShadowOfAGhost

ShadowOfAGhost Computer Geek

I second the motion

5. Raven37

Raven37 Member

:eek:. I'm speechless. This is one of the greatest stories on this forum and one of the greatest stories I've ever read. I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!:D Well, since I've been a little (More like a lot.:rolleyes: ) behind on this story, I'm gonna post a review for each chapter:

11: Nice introduction of Jefferson and I loved the fight scene!:D

12: Michael always seems to have an interesting story about his past doesn't he?;)

13: Michael's hunt was very well-described. It was very intereresting to read.:)

14::eek:+:anime:= AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was so sweet of Michael!:anime:

15::anime:, then :crying:+:mad:+:eek:. That was probably the most shocking chapter. I was like holy s***!!!:eek: I was NEVER expecting that!
    My thoughts exactly.:evil:

16:
    I laughed SOOOO hard at that!:D It was so funny!
    That was brilliant. BRILLIANT. I loved that sooooo much. It was amazing.

17: :crying:It was very touching, yet, so wonderful. I loved it.

18: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: So.... SAD!:crying: I loved it SOOOOOO *snifle* much! It was bliss. Pure bliss. I loved it! It was... SO AMAZING!!!! Gah, I can't describe how amazing this story is!!!:D

That makes perfect sense!:eek: Wow... Anyways, can't wait for your epilogue and sequel!!!:D

-Raven37
    P.S. I just gotta say it one more time.... I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

6. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Thanks for the posts, Raven37! Yeah, I like the Winnie the Pooh bit too.

Thankyou!:D !

An inclusion on the Hall Of Fame is pretty much the highest accolade that this site can bestow on any one author, and the thought that I may just deserve a shot at that is immensely gratifying.

Thanks!

Okay, seeing as Raven37 posted, just give me a few seconds and you'll have it...

7. Raven37

Raven37 Member

I forgot to say this so I'll say it now... I third it!!!:D You totally deserve it.;) (That was not meant to rhyme.... stupid rhyming...):sweat:

-Raven37

8. ShadowOfAGhost

:D

:anime:

:)

:sad:

:(

:confused:

where is it? hmm...
    (if you can't tell, I'm bored)
    I'm anxious to read it! It sounds like it will be good!

9. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Okay, this is it. The end. The full stop to the project that has dominated the last three months of my life. The epilogue to Dwyr Budr. Before I start, though, there’s two things that I want to say.

One: I wish to dedicate this epilogue to everyone that has ever bothered to read this inane, derivative nonsense (;) ). Special mentions need to go to rrarbecy, Crowgirl, oneeyemonkeypie (aka Reid), Adrastea, moro loci, Rae, starburn1116, raven54, Sprox 083, Lord Welshi, Kregor8, Raven13, ShadowOfAGhost, Raven37 and Vivace. Without your patience, diligence and enthusiasm, I would never have got this far. I would never have produced what I rightly called at the start an epic work, a story with a final word count of 31,153: some fifteen times my longest work before this. For that great service, I am eternally grateful…to all of you.

Two: I’m going to have to crash this little party by saying that whatever you were expecting from the epilogue…well, this won’t be it. It’ll probably infuriate the hell out of you, but hopefully you’ll love it all the same. It’s a bit short, and more than a bit weird, but that’s what epilogue’s are for, right? :sweat:

Anyway, on with the final curtain call…

Epilogue: The Girl With The Sun In Her Head

The thing about stories, all stories, from the ones told by Neolithic elders sitting around a campfire to the ones being written by young aspiring writers in their bedrooms right now…the thing about stories is that, in order to be true stories, they must have a beginning, a middle and an end. Needless to say, what you’ve seen of this sorry tale of violence, treachery and redemption so far has contained neither beginning nor end. What you have seen has been only middle, for the beginning and end are so closely tied together as to be virtually synonymous. Telling one without telling the other would be impossible: the end will not make sense without the beginning, and revealing the beginning will reveal the end. The time has not yet come to tell the truth about what has been going on, but for the time being it is fit for another piece of the middle to be provided. It may be yet another piece in the jigsaw, but it is the one piece that will bring you closer than any other to seeing the picture on the back of the box.

Picture the scene, if you will. It is about twelve years ago, over a decade before Raven and Michael Spicer first met. The setting this time is not Earth, but a twisted cousin of our home world that lies on a separate plane of reality altogether. The setting is a place called Azarath. It’s a nice place, on the whole, but only if you happen to have been born there. Growing up in this monochrome, run-down and mystical world will give you an appreciation for its lonely beauty and inner heart of weirdness. Any outside visitors, however, will just see a world of endless depression.

The two best examples of that are right here in front of us. In a clearing in the woods there is a lone oak tree, and on that tree is a swing. A girl is swinging on it, a lone six-year-old with purple hair and a near gray complexion, who is already wearing her trademark uniform of a black sleeved swimsuit and a navy blue cloak. Some people would consider it dangerous for such a young girl to be in the woods alone, but to be honest the most dangerous thing in these woods is the girl herself.

Except she’s not. There is man watching her from the nearby bushes. His intentions are not hostile – far from it, in fact – but anyone who knew that the next time the two would meet he would be wearing jeans, a navy blue hoodie and a black eye patch over his right eye would still be suspicious. Just to prove the purity of his heart, even though there’s no one to prove it to, he runs over to help the young girl when she falls off the swing and hurts herself.

She doesn’t cry, which fails to surprise him. After making up an excuse that he was taking a walk through the woods and saw her fall, he helps the little girl up. She introduces herself as Raven, and the man introduces himself as Thomas: we know, of course, that his real name is Michael, so that is what we shall call him. Raven giggles at what she feels to be the strangeness of Thomas’/Michael’s name, and he wearily replies for what seems like the umpteenth time that his parents were strange people like that: again, we know that his parents were sensible, hard-working loyal Christians from sixteenth-century Spain, but there’s no reason for him to tell her that just yet.

Michael offers to walk Raven back to her house, as it is getting dark and he now feels that little bit extra-specially concerned for her safety. She doesn’t need the protection, and she knows it, but she agrees anyway. As they walk through the woods to Raven’s house, they idly talk about this and that, her talking with a six-year-old’s frankness about her home, her powers and her thankfully absent father. Michael knows all this, but he smiles, laughs and sighs in all the right places anyway.

They reach Raven’s home, a large wooden bungalow that Dorothy and Toto would’ve felt right at home in. This is just one in a long line of such buildings, which does ruin the atmosphere a little bit, but thankfully not by much. Michael walks Raven right up to the front door, to be greeted by the initial caution and then the warm gratitude of her mother. This woman, known as Arella, looks exactly the same as Raven will when she reaches thirty-odd. Michael thinks that she looks quite attractive, but sadly his heart is, in a way, reserved for someone else.

With Arella’s praises still reverberating in his ears, Michael wanders off down the road. After getting out of sight range, he makes a quick phone call on his mobile: it’s a bit of a brick, but then again mobiles were still new technology in those days. Thankfully, the specific words of this phone call have survived.

“Hi Ben, it’s Michael here.”

“Hi! You met the girl?”

“Yeah. She’s getting along just fine.”

“Hmm. That’s too bad.”

“Yeah. She’s nice. It won’t disrupt the mission, though.”

“Glad to hear it.”

“Not a problem. I’ll see you in twelve years.”

“Yeah, see ya.”

“You know, I’ve always wondered what dying feels like…”

10. ShadowOfAGhost

WTF!!!

so his mission the whole time was suicide? he did all that so he could kill himself and finally end it all?

well, my hat's off to you. kudos. by the way, worlds finest called, they want you in the HoF.;)

11. Sproxie

Sproxie Active Member

Hey! they called me too! :anime:

DEFINITELY not what I expected, but, that doesnt mean it was bad. It was very good.... interesting.
    There is gonna be a sequel right? :crying:

12. ShadowOfAGhost

He mentioned somewhere that there would be a sequal but he was going to do another story before then.

and just for the record, Re: DB2, I'm calling it now...
    [​IMG]

13. Adrastea

Adrastea ooooh shiny!!!!

WTF just about sums it up.

So, what i have to say overall, and it isn't much, really....:

From having me rolling on the floor with my lungs in agony over the hilarity, or bringing tears to my eyes in heart wrenching raw feeling, you kept my eyes glued to the screen. Your extraordinary attention to detail enabled us all to envision the scene perfectly, making it all the easier to burst into tears or laughter, and give us nighmares when we dared to leave our computers for a few hours of snatched sleep between waiting for your next post of a new chapter.

Anyway, i'm much better at giving encouragement, and totally let every wonderful thing we say go to your head, because you deserve it all. Congratulations.

14. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Thankyou for the praise everybody! Especially the Hall Of Fame stuff!:D :D :D :D :D !!!!!

As for Ghost's comment, Michael did die for a purpose, but it wasn't suicide. The true purpose of what's going on, as the epilogue said, will have to wait 'till the sequal.:evil:

Further talk on the sequal or fic in-between now and then will have to wait until more comments on the epilogue come in. I'd also gladly welcome more reviews of the story as a whole: whether or not it was consisent, overall depicition of settings and characters, etc, etc.

Once again, thanks for the praise!:D !

Ta,
    Matt

15. Adrastea

Adrastea ooooh shiny!!!!

way ahead of you :^: :D ;)

16. Raven37

Raven37 Member

Indeed... WTF. But the paragraph in blue describes exactly how I loved reading this story. It was truly amazing and I can't wait for more masterpieces from our dear friend Matt.:D

-Raven37

17. ShadowOfAGhost

I know you're not familiar with the New York Times, but to all those who are, I'd say this would easily make the New York Times #1 Bestseller list. This story had it all. Immense fits of laughter...tear jerking sorrow...fiery passion...gratuitous violence...and even the not so occasional not so appreciated massive cliff hanger.:evil: My praise is all good. there is not a thing you could have done better. Live long and prosper, may the force be with you, may the schwartz be with you (for all you mel brooks fans out there), [insert famous goodbye here]

overall rating:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I salute you:cool:

18. Crowgirl

Crowgirl Active Member

Seriously, that's all there is to say. This fic isn't a Van Gough, though, so I'm sorry I lied.

It's as good as twenty put together.

CG

19. rrarbecy

rrarbecy I'm Back!

How did you do that?

20. ShadowOfAGhost

google search for a small star resulted with that. I opened the page with the image alone (click on the picture and then click on it again in the bar that appears at the top) copy the web page over and post it 5x in corolation with the img code. the pic already spins (.jpg files are typicly still, but many times .gif images will move in some way).:cool: :dad: :knd1: :tom: