1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction Dwr Budr 2 (Teen Titans; J)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Matt A, May 14, 2005.

?

What story should I write next?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2005.
  1. STT3: The Cassandra Syndrome

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Locked And Loaded

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Black Hawk Rising

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Reality Cheque

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. DeathscytheVII

DeathscytheVII Farewell, Daughter of Trigon

Matt, i got to hand it to ya, that was a very beautiful and unexpected ending those this story. I expected an apocalyptic fight, but instead we get a flash foward to when Raven was at peace.

Your statements about Religion and God are extremely interesting, how the absence of religion actually did make everyone kinda...more enlightened in a sense, i can't really put this into words, but you've done a great job with that angle. And while i personally don't believe god is that sadistic and evil, i happen to agree with your take about religion. I truly do. You've also made it seem realistic with many people choosing to deny it all, and still sticking to their old beliefs, despite god being revealed in this universe as bad. Says alot about humanity really, we come in many shades hehe.

ANd Raven changing her name to Tara Strong? Nice tribute to that brilliant voice actress XD

And what's this? I find myself reading this chapter and saying "DAMN, Michael IS a husband!" Finally starts acting the role i'd say. Although a final word from carrie and the titans would have been interesting, but i can't complain, you've pretty much explained their fates anyway, and carrie as the leader of a new generation of heroes? awesome.

Blue danube, ah i love that song XD. Classic I could just hear the music as you described Raven and Michael doing the waltz, very peaceful and lovely imagery in this update, which i think is the perfect way to end it.

You've got great talent and imagery mate, picking an ending i would not expect, but yet, is oh so fitting XD.

Unless of course, you have an epilogue i dont know about?

This was beautiful nonetheless.

My one complaint/worry is how Michael managed to plan all this ahead. From Carrie's capture to getting the media placed at exactly the right place at exactly the right time without the 'all knowing' god knowing. It borders on Deus Ex Machina hehe, but i doesn't detract from my enjoyment of this story.

Edit: >stab< No "Xth post!" statements please. We can all read the little numbers on the side. :p

#301 DeathscytheVII, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2006
  2. Pun-3x

Pun-3x Member

Well, I'm happy to see the explanation to the ending of events tidy things up so nicely. I agree with DS7, taking on the point that a lot of people wouldn't readily take to the revelation is realistic. You have people who have believed what they've believed their entire lives--you aren't about to make them go "Oh, so it's not like that? Okay then."

Perhaps I'm a cynic, though, but I do have to wonder how many people would be more sympathetic to their neighboors. I've always felt that those who want to hate will have a reason to do so. I definitely think there'd be change and a new way for people to look at things. But I suppose while you'd have some groups who were stuck up because of their religion suddenly tone down, you'd probably have straight-line thinkers decide that since nothing is there to stop them, why hold back. In other words, the 'change' is more of a 'shift.' Someone has to take the other's place at some point.

Still, I do like the way things have been arranged in the story. And the fact that you're showing it's a worldly change that is occuring, what with the UN and all.

And of course, it seems fitting that Raven returns to that quiet life she had when this story started at its current timeframe. It's a nice note for the character(s) to end on.

I guess my only real gripe is with God being stopable at all--but as I'd voiced in previous critiques if you make him as powerful as one would imagine him to be, the story wouldn't advance anywhere ever. I doubt I'd ever be satisfied with any ending because of this, though that would be no fault of yours. We have what we have, and as best as it could be done, the ending was done as completely as possible. This was a fun story for a lot of reasons. It's good to see a nice ending for it. :)

3. Kregor8

Kregor8 Communitas Ex Nihilo

I'm still plugging along...

Ok, I've now read up through the part where God makes the world and kills Lucifer. Weird, weird, weird. Aside from the weird god stuff, which I don't believe at all, this is an amazing story. And you know what, even with the weird god stuff, it's still an amazing story. It's not like I can't take fiction as fiction.

Wow, I'd forgotten how much I like reading your stories. Anyway, cool stuff, especially the whole Tamaranian we-hate-foreigners-so-join-the-club thing. You and I are some of the very few who still remember Reid's story, and I particurally remember that last chapter, because I helped him write it. Anyway, it's cool to see you drag out the old, old, cobwebby stuff for the little orange intros.

Just got to the part where Michael comes back. No, I didn't forget. And I never told nobody, either. Wasn't I right when I said I could keep a secret? Of course I was. Anyway, I have to finish reading this, and hopefully it won't take another six months to read six chapters or whatever it was I just read.

Always enjoying,
    7<regor

4. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

To be honest, I've never really liked big all-action finales. Solving things without resorting to violence is a lot more interesting.;)

Besides, since when have I ever done the expected?:p

As you guys said, that struck me as a more realistic line to take. It was tempting to do a "the world was changed and lived happily ever after" type of thing, but let's face it, that would have been a load of old bollocks. A change is there, though of a more gradual, well-contested kind: just like in the real world, I think.;)

Call me naive if you like, but I do believe we're all essentially good at heart. Okay, so some of us less so than others, but we all have the capacity to treat each other nicely if we put our mind to it. Whether or not religion acts as a barrier to this, that's up for debate, but it's definitely an interesting idea. "All that glitters is not gold" and all that.;)

If you remember, I mentioned that way, way back in the first chapter. And yes, it seemed like a nice little nod.:anime:

I thought so too. The "full circle" thing has always appealed, though I'm not entirely sure why.

Well, there's a first time for everything...;)

Yes, I'd have liked to have a goodbye from the others as well, but I only really had space for one character. Seeing as the story started with Raven, I thought it was best to end with her too.

And yes, Carrie would be awesome as a Titans leader. I don't intend to write about it, but it's still a cool thing to think about.:anime:

Strangely, Blue Danube is actually the only piece of classical music that I like. But still, as you said, it is amazing. Waltzing to it was just a moment that, as soon as I thought of it, I just knew had to be in there. It's Michael all over, I think.:anime:

Well, he has had five-hundred years to plan everything. That's a long time, even for something this insanely complicated.;)

Like you said, I needed him to get beaten somehow. This just seemed like the most appropriate way to do it.

I do, actually. Hence why Setting Sun was listed as the penultimate chapter.:p

But still, all patronizing behaviour aside, I'll probably write it sometime over the weekend. Sunday, I imagine.

It seems I've got very, very lucky with all this. From what I remember, only one person has ever yelled at me for it, and you couldn't really even call that a roasting. Fiction might just be fiction, but it's still nice to be taken seriously.:anime:

You know, that's the scary part. Reid only did his thing less than eighteen months ago.:eek:

And considering the role he played in getting my work noticed - a big role, from what I remember - thieving one his best ever ideas seemed like a nice way to honour him.:p

Seeing as I'd forgotten that I'd even told you, I'd say you're very right.;)

No, hopefully it won't.;)

-Matt A-

5. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

ah...fuzzies.:D

I feel so warm and cuddly inside now. Yay for psycho crazy murderers dancing with innocent women romantically!

Well, it's nice to know that all is well here in DB2-world. Honestly, it was nice to get back to the roots of Michael, the way he was before. He's back to the Michael I knew in DB1. Even better actually.

TTG~Matt H. I guess it's safe to say there are no more sequels...

6. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Exactly. After all this story, the one thing we needed was a happy ending. On the whole, DB2 was actually quite an upbeat tale, so anything less just wouldn't have worked.;)

Correct. There's probably enough material for a DB3 at least, if you could think of a decent story to wrap around it all. But I can't, and even if I could, I'm not sure I could be bothered to write it. I want to do other stuff from here on in.:shrug:

-Matt A-

7. Pun-3x

Pun-3x Member

Nah--regardless of the possibilities, this is a good place to stop. Nice and clean, open for future opinion, etc. :)

8. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

And on that note, here's the epilogue.

I almost can't believe I'm writing this. Nine months, one-hundred-and-sixteen thousand words, forty chapters, three-hundred-and-seven posts and twenty-thousand views since I first started, this epic work of fan-literature is finally coming to an end. I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad about this: I'm definitely relieved, at any rate.

This epilogue is dedicated to all those brave sould who dared to read the last sixteen pages of inane, derivative and generally pointless garbage. In particular, I must thank the following people, though not in any particular order:
    • Pun-3x
    • DJ Tenku
    • Anime
    • RavenofAzerath~
    • Aquagirl15
    • TeenTitansGo!
    • rrarbecy
    • Pookey
    • percguy89
    • JAG
    • Vortexgirl
    • Reket
    • Sproxie
    • Crowgirl
    • Raven13
    • Raeofdarkness
    • Kregor8
    • BeastBoyWonder
    • starfire0639
    • DeathscytheVII
    • Vivace
    • Lord Welshi
    • Rae
    • Alpha Man
    • Darth Vader
    • No Idea
    • NightMare
    • Mary_mari
    • Starfire5
    • dimmy52
    • darkangel93
    • Rever76
    Without your support, encouragement and appreciation, this story wouldn't have even been started. You've been far too good to me, you really have. As cliche as this sounds, I just can't thank you all enough...so I'll just say this: what were you on, guys?

:p

Anyway, onto the epilogue. You might have been expecting this, you might not, but either way...you'll still be wanting my blood. Though this story is already all but over, I just thought that this epilogue was just such a fantastic little note to finally end on. If I've done my job right, you won't agree.:evil:

Oh, and see if you can guess where I pulled the last line from. I reckon it'll amuse you.:anime:

And now, for the final time in Dwr Budr 2, let's bring on the writing...

Epilogue: Dream On

What force, on this plane or the next, has the ability to save someone from the clutches of Death itself? What force, dear viewers, has the ability to rescue the entire planet, nay, the entire Universe from the brink of destruction?

The pendulum swings. It always has, and always will. Time continues. There is nothing in this realm or the ones beyond it that could alter such a blunt fact.
    "The Swinging Pendulum", dimmy52
    The thing about stories, all stories, from the ones told by Neolithic elders sitting around a campfire to the ones being written by young aspiring writers in their bedrooms right now…the thing about stories is that, in order to be true stories, they must have a beginning, a middle and an end. At long last, you have seen all three, enough for this uplifting tale of violence, cruelty and hope to be introduced, maintained and finally resolved. But, for all the many labours involved – I wrote it, you read it, the characters experienced it – the jigsaw is not quite completed. We can see the picture on the back of the box, we can see how the puzzle created relates to the puzzle designed, but there is still one more piece to slot in. Whether or not this affects your understanding of the final picture, it depends on how much of a completist you are. Either way, it’s a choice I leave to you.

Picture the scene, if you will. It is two thousand years in the future, long, long after this story’s main players and their descendents have been interred below the earth. The Earth is still the setting here, though it’s a very different Earth from the one we live on today. It’s something of an empty place, home to perhaps a few hundred humans: the rest live off-world, on the many billions of planets strewn throughout the galaxy. For the most part, Earth belongs to nature, to the jungles and deserts and mountains and plains and oceans, just as it once did.

This final puzzle piece is concerned with a very particular piece of Earth. It’s an ice shelf, an indescribably vast block of frozen water, somewhere on the edge of northern Siberia. On the edge of this shelf, forgotten by all the galaxy, is a ruined ice palace: it’s a location we’re all familiar with, so I shan’t explain it any further.

Of far greater interest is the figure standing inside it. This is someone we’ve never seen before, a skinny little boy of about seventeen or eighteen. Even when wrapped up in all his furs, he looks like one great big flinch, as if the universe has slapped him around a few times and he’s expecting one more go. In a way, that’s why he’s here, doing what he’s about to do.

This boy, whose name is perhaps irrelevant, he’s come a long way. For nearly a year, he’s hitchhiked all the way from Veldin, a tiny mudball of a planet almost on the other side of the galaxy. He’s come to this ancient and dreadful place because he has a job to do, one that he feels compelled by destiny to see completed. Two thousand years from now, it’s a commonly accepted truth that there is nothing in this universe beyond us, our fellow humans and the simple process of survival, that we only need our own deeds to make us great. This truth is so commonly accepted, it isn’t even discussed.

This boy, he thinks that it’s a load of old bollocks.

Standing in the centre of the ice palace, a few feet in front of a magical fire that never dies, the boy gets down on one knee. He bows so low that his unkempt hair almost brushes against the snow.

“I have come, my master.” he says, his voice thin and barely audible.

Suddenly, the flames rise up into the air, lifting themselves up off the wood that never burns. The flames grown and twist and morph, slowing changing into a shape that we know all too well. A shape that we’d shouldn’t have expected to see again, and only this boy still knows about.

The boy stays in his bow, averting his eyes from the divine majesty above him. With the fifty-foot ball of fire, the God that he has awoken, the universe will know peace and order and respect once again. Everything back to the way it once was, two thousand years ago. The way of things good and noble and worthy of love.

Yes, this boy really believes that.

Hovering above him, God clears his throat. The deep growl shakes the ice cathedral, nearly knocking the boy off his feet. The boy, he’s still unafraid. He still thinks he’s doing something good to a cruel universe. If God could smile, then he would do so.

“WELL, I’M BACK.”

9. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

I'll say at least, that we needed that. I knew what you were getting at from the first line of the chapter, but it still was fun to read. A bit unecessary, but still needed (don't ask me how I can explain that logically).

WONDERFUL work, Mate. Be proud.

TTG~Matt H.

10. Aquagirl15

Aquagirl15 Heaven's not enough

Ah I've had to read like four chapters to catch up but I'm not complaining. I'd read thirty chapters of something like this.

The chapter where the Titans face the angels had to be the best thing I've read here for a long time. It was violent, but it was funny in a twisted way. The guns you gave Best Boy and Cyborg, and the end with the T-car was something I would have never expected. Really amazing.

Gabriel got exactly what he deserved. It was hard for me to figure out what Micheal was gonna use the gun for, but it suited killing Gabriel just fine. Favorite parts:

It was nice they way you wrote about Micheal's parents and their encounters with Gabriel. But God never expected Micheal to refuse to help. He seemed so sure of himself. :rolleyes:

Micheal betrays Raven and Carrie for God then betrays God and... what next? It worked out fine in the end for everyone, but who's side can we be sure he's on? So confusing... Carrie's preformance was unexpected, and aparently not just to us.

Life after the battle, it wasn't really that different from before. I can't help but wonder if you'll expand on Carrie starting a superhero team, but I really don't know. As for this:

was that deliberate or something? :confused:

And finally, I hate you for the epilogue. :p Can't any of your stories have an ending?

I can't believe it's been nine months since you started writing this. This is like, a novel. It can hardly be considered fanfiction anymore, you've passed that step long ago. You've really shocked us all, and if you ever stop writing many people will have something to say about it.

As a final note, I love the foxes! ...Sorry I just had to be weird for a second. :shrug:

11. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

No, I think I get what you mean. The story could have worked perfectly well without it, but I thought it just needed a little extra grace note. Or a one-fingered salute, depending on your point of view.;)

I am. I'm not entirely sure why I should be, but I still am.:anime:

Somewhat bizzarely, I still regard that chapter as one of my crowning achievements. Mostly because it's damn near novella length in its own right.:eek:

Didn't it just? Maybe Gabriel's bowing-out was a little too elaborate for its own good, but it was still a nice idea.:anime:

Yeah, I thought it was an interesting touch. The more you can say about a character's background, the better...sometimes.;)

No, God never expected Michael to be a treacherous little bastard. There's a difference.;)

Michael's only ever on one side: his own.:evil:

Call me sentimental if you like, but I'm rather fond of that kind of full-circle thing.:shrug:

I've no plans for it, no. If anyone else wants to try, feel free, but don't expect me to want any input.:shrug:

Yes, but not in the way you think. My mum currently has charge over four horses, and those are their names. Just one of those coincidences.;)

No, they can't.:p

It's two novels, actually. Your average novel is 50-60,000 words, and DB2 was about twice that. Scary thought, actually.:eek:

I don't intend to stop just yet. But I will take a break for a while, 'cause I think I kinda deserve one.;)

Huh?:confused:

-Matt A-

12. Rae

Rae Insert amusing comment

definately a one fingered salute in my opinnion, it's so typical of life really

I agree with most of the comments above, this chapter was needed, but at the same time it could have not been included and nothing would have been taken away from the story as a whole.

And you definately deserve a break (but still jkeep writing BS)
    Et moi,

Rae

13. Lord Welshi

Lord Welshi I own all I see. Except that

I've finally caught up. Great stuff Matt, this is the kind of stuff I know you're capable of. Excellent writing, very vivid in places, excellent descriptions and character growthportrayed throughout. The work of a master. Thumbs up, mate, thumbs up.

Apologies for the absence, Matt, uni's been hell (problems with 2 essays) and got 2 story projects on the go (one novel, one shorter writing project). Oh, and had two offers from people who want to be my agent and represent me in getting publishing contracts.

Laters.

Lord Welshi

14. Alpha Man

Alpha Man Raven in a Bikini? Brilliant!

Short and sweet: the work of a true visionary.

15. Pun-3x

Pun-3x Member

Ooh, I missed this last part.

Well, I suppose things do have to come full-circle eventually. A very interesting piece to attach to the end of the story, though I don't find it surprising in the least.

As others have said, this is one of those extra bits that works well, but the story doesn't need it to properly function. Still, it does make you go "Uh-huh, he couldn't let it be." (by this I mean God of course :p )

Also, I noticed the '2000 years later.' This wasn't coincidental, was it? ;)

16. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Like everything else in this story, that only applies for a given amount of "typical".:p

Hence why I called it "epilogue".:p

But seriously, I know it wasn't needed, but it was just one of those little ideas that wouldn't go away. I seem to be rather prone to those.:sweat:

Modesty requires me to refute all of the above. My ego, howver, requires me to revel in it. Which do you think I should go for?

Hmmm...

Thanks, guys!:anime: :anime: :anime:

No choice needed, was there?:p

I'd say I know what you mean, but that would be a lie. Okay, so I've got plenty of writing on the go, but I've also only got three lectures a week: leaves you with a lot of free time, that does.:anime:

And as for those offers...precisely how in the merry hell did you swing that? No, seriously, I'd like to know: see if I can get lucky myself, that sort of thing.;)

Seeing as I don't know what you're referring to, I'll just say "no".:shrug:

Don't worry, I'm not taking a break on Bad Seeds: in fact, I'll see if I can get another chapter done tomorrow.:anime:

As for World's Finest, I'll start work on STT3, as I said I would a while back, in about a month or so. I've got it all planned out to nearly Nth degree, so putting finger to keyboard shouldn't be that hard (for once). Between now and then, there's another little something I'll be working on: DS7 knows what it is, but I'll leave it as a surprise for the rest o' yous. Should be good fun.:anime:

Once again, thanks for reading this. I appreciate your loyalty.:anime:

-Matt A-

17. Pun-3x

Pun-3x Member

I know exactly that feeling. Sometimes you just have to tack that last bit on...just because you've got the idea in your head.

Ah. Well, It's about the Christian faith revolving around Jesus being born 2000 years ago. Then, some 2000-odd years later, we have the face-off. Then, ANOTHER 2000-ish years later, it all starts again.

But if that had been part of the reasoning, I wouldn't be confusing you right now. :sweat:

18. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Exactly. Slipping Jesus and associated mythology into my story never really struck me as a priority: after all, Jesus is not the central pillar of Christian faith.;)

As an interesting side note, Christians get really offended when you say this...but they get even more offended when you explain the reasoning behind it.:evil:

-Matt A-

19. SilverKnight

SilverKnight Sigh.

I know very little of Christian faith, being the heathen that I am, but I was under the impression believing in a single, all-powerful God (as opposed to many Gods that are divided among the 'elements', so to speak) isn't Christianity specifically, but Monotheism. One of the cornerstones of Christianity is the belief that Jesus was the son of God, died saving us, rose from the dead, yadda yadda yadda. No Christ, no Christianity. Granted, no God, no Christianity, either. But again, one God = monotheism, which envelops all singular-God faiths; including Christianity, Judism, and Islam, among others. So, well, from a logical standpoint, I'd have to disagree with your statement a smidge as being a little inaccurate. But again, I've only a very limited knowledge to draw upon, so I could very well be wrong. >shrugs<

Not all Christians. ;) However, I'm curious as to what this 'reasoning' may be. Please elaborate.

Note: As a nice little modly reminder, while I'm not openly discouraging the discussion that may or may not be developing here (especially given the subject content of the fic that it's stemming from), I'd like to warn everyone to tread lightly. Discussions about religion can get very ugly, very fast. Thankee much in advance.

20. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Don't worry, I know about that one already. Then again, treading lightly ain't exactly my style, but I still know what happens when you muck around.:sweat:

My reasoning behind my statement was simple: the core belief of Christianity is that there is some form of divine presence that is responsible for creating and running the universe. Sure, all religions share this characteristic - with the dubious exception of Buddhism, but that's a whole other matter - but it applies as much to Christianity as it does to anything else. Jesus being the son of God is what makes Christianity different to other religions - though, when bringing classical mythology into account, this is also somewhat debatable - but it is not what defines it as a religion: the belief in God is what does that. Simple, really.;)

-Matt A-