1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Teen Titans Fan Fiction Dwr Budr 2 (Teen Titans; J)

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Matt A, May 14, 2005.

?

What story should I write next?

Poll closed Oct 23, 2005.
  1. STT3: The Cassandra Syndrome

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Locked And Loaded

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. Black Hawk Rising

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Reality Cheque

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Well, here it is, at long last. "Dwr Budr 2", a story at least six months in the planning, and maybe as long in the writing, is finally ready to start. So that's what I'm doing now.:anime: :anime: :anime:

However, before I start, I'd just like to say a few things. Firstly, this is very much going to be story of two halves...quite literally so, in fact. Even though the two parts still definitely belong to the same story, expect the connections between them to be subtle in the extreme. In terms of content, all I intend to say for now is that part one will supply the questions, whereas part two will supply the answers...oh, and it's a good idea to expect the unexpectable.:evil:

Secondly, I need to apologise to my good mate Welshi. I sent the prologue to him for editing just over a week ago, but because he hasn't said anything about it yet and I'm rappidly running out of time, I've got no choice but to start without his comments. If you wanted to say something important, Welshi, then I apologise.:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :sweat:

Thirdly, in an attempt at creating some sort of artistic continuity with Dwr Budr 1, I'm using an alternative version of the chapter title game that met with relative success the first time round. If you can think logically, then it shouldn't be that hard to figure it out, but even if you can't it'll be obvious by chapter fourteen anyway.;)

Finally, there's another little game that I'd like you to play. At the end of each chapter, including the one below, I'd like you to have a guess as to what will happen in the rest of the story. I won't confirm or deny your theories either way - well, that would be a bit dumb, wouldn't it - but I'm still interested as to what my writings are able to make you think. If you don't want to play, then fin, but I'd prefer it if you did.:shrug:

And now, without any further distractions, the curtain will rise for the first time on what may well be my best story yet...

Dwr Budr 2

Part One: One Too Many Mornings

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a bloody big television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisurewear and matching luggage. Choose a three-piece suite on hire purchase in a range of crappy fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the hell you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing crappy junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, screwed-up brats you’ve spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life.

But why would I want to do a thing like that?

Prologue: The Duke

Things hadn't been the same since Raven and Sparrow had left. It has been four months since the last time we had heard from them. I sensed things were getting worse and that was why they hadn't been sending letters. I wanted them to come back. Now that the Teen Titans were temporarily a team of four things were getting difficult.

Beast Boy sidled into the living room where the rest of the team was. We were all eating breakfast and trying to ignore the feeling of emptiness in all of our stomachs. Today was the day that Sparrow had become a Teen Titan six months ago. Half a year…had it really been that long?

The team gave a sigh in unison. We missed Raven and Sparrow so much it was like having a constant stomach ache. Just then my communicator went off. My face grew much happier when I saw who was calling me.

"Raven!" I yelled to the team. They looked at me in disbelief and crowed around to hear her news.
    "A New Dawn", Aquagirl15

In the beginning of creation, when God makes heaven and earth, the earth is without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that sweeps over the face of the waters.

This clearly isn't the sort of place that you'd choose to live in, and in a way that's probably the point.

In many ways, God is just like us. He wants things, basic things that we all want so badly that we don't even realise that we want them. Not things like air, food, water or heat: a being with no physical form has no need for any of those. No, what we want, and what he wants, is somewhere to call home, and something to do with his time. An endless void filled only with water and wind is hardly conductive to either, and if you think about it hard enough then it's entirely logical to want to do something about it. If you're an all-powerful being, much like God is, then not only is coming to such a conclusion fairly simple, but it's perhaps even simpler to act upon it. God wants a home, and he wants something to do, so what do you think his plan is?

Despite God's mighty intelligence, it's taken him a long time to come up with what he's eventually come up with. He has no knowledge of where he comes from, who, how and why he's been made, or indeed what he's in this void to do. It's been many millennia - or it might not have been, 'cause it's hard to measure time in a void like this - before he's realised that he might not necessarily come to ever fill in any of the blanks in his knowledge. Once he's realised this, it's only a matter of time until he comes to the conclusion that if he doesn't know of his true origins or purpose, then he can simply make up his own alternatives to replace them. Rather than sit around for all eternity waiting for something to happen, he can get on and make at least a something happen by himself.

Eventually, he comes up with a plan, and it's this plan that he's just about to start putting into motion.

He knows what words he has to say, and he says them. Without warning, a harsh whiteness erupts over the void, giving the waters and the winds a form of clarity and expression that neither they nor God have ever known before. He's always been aware of the existence of both, of course, and without necessarily being aware of it he can easily describe them to anyone: however, it's only now that he can truly tell what they look like. Okay, so wind doesn't actually have a visual description, but I think you get what I mean. Anyway, whilst this void is clearly still a void - albeit a void that you can now see - it's at least the first step on the long road that is God's simple yet complex plan.

And now there is light…

2. Pun-3x

Pun-3x Member

I keep forgetting, your a day ahead of me. So the 15th is actually today (14th for me).

It's a nice setup so far. Besides the opening section about Raven and Sparrow, one doesn't really know what's going to happen next. Still, it's a nice start. It's also an interesting concept about how God might think. We don't try to define that with anything except "Eh, he knows everything," and off we go.

Well, now I'm now curious to know exactly WHY Raven and Sparrow are out and about. My completely off-the-wall guess is...oh, I don't know...they're looking for someone?

We'll just have to see how the rest of this writes. ;)

3. Tenku

Tenku D-don't come any closer!

Go Matt! :D

I know I still haven't read Dwr Budr 1 yet (I will, I will!) but I can tell, this is gonna be great. I liked your theory of how God thinks of himself too. Kinda makes me wonder too...

I'll be-a waiting for the next post. :anime:

4. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

I have no doubt of that.;)

Actually...no, it's still the 14th here. It's just that I've got to work tomorrow :)mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ), so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to start this then. I figured that leaving it until Monday would get me lynched, so it was better to put it up early.

Even though you won't find out why until the second part of this story (probably a good two or three months away now), that idea is very relevant.

For your information, each chapter of this story will begin with an extract from one of the fics of World's Finest. In some cases the extract's context in the story it came from will be important, but with this one it isn't. The relationshop between the extract and the prologue is mostly symbolic, to put it one way, and it may well be quite hard for you to figure out, if only because it's so obvious that you just won't consider it. Anyway, the point of all the above is that what Raven and Sparrow were doing in that extract is irrelevant: the important part is something else...:evil:

Then I suggest you get on with it. The rest of the story won't make the slightest bit of sense if you don't.

Matt A,
    The Sultan Of Shock

5. RavenofAzerath~

RavenofAzerath~ military brat :b

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, and now there is light? i'm guessing....nevermind, i'm still clueless, but i tried! it just makes no sence even though its great:sweat:

RoA~
    Now Crazy

6. Aquagirl15

Aquagirl15 Heaven's not enough

I was extremely suprised (and a bit confused) when you decided to quote my story, but I am not sure what the quote will have to do with. Regardless, thank you. :anime: This prologue made me think, but I'm not sure where this will be going. I can only guess this section about God and his decisions had something to do with how Michael died.

7. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

That was my own take on the Bible's infamous and oft-quoted "let there was light" line. The more openly religious amongst you would have no doubt noticed that the prologue was basically a vastly extended version of the Book Of Genesis' opening paragraph, which goes something like this:

"In the beginning of creation, when God made heaven and earth, the earth was without form and void, with darkness over the face of the abyss, and a mighty wind that swept over the surface of the waters. God said, 'Let there be light', and there was light; and God saw that the light was good, and he separated light from darkness. He called the light day, and the darkness light. So evening came, and morning came, the first day."

See the similarities between that and the prologue? Sure you do.;)

Not a problem. The deal with the extracts is that each one will be taken from a fic written by someone who had read and posted comments on any of my stuff prior to the start of the "Essential Research On Dwr Budr 2" thread (by which time I'd already got the quotes list drawn up, and I can't be bothered to go and change it now). Basically, this is my own way of saying thankyou to everyone for putting up with my inane drivvel.;)

Seeing as you guys don't seem to be getting it, I'll give you a fairly big hint as to why I chose that extract: sequals.

There, it's as simple as that.:shrug:

Matt A,
    The Sultan Of Shock

8. TeenTitansGO!

TeenTitansGO! expremental Upnnas

Um...I guess that was amazing writing. My only thing is, I'm not sure of how you portray the Bible, God, and religion in your eyes. It is something I've questioned for a while now. You don't have to answer my implied question there. I loved the Prologue, but the "Choose life" part bugged me. You asked the question, "Why would you choose life?", and you made life sound all bad. What you didn't show was the good in life, the things that, if you never experienced, you wouldn't be so happy. It just bugged me, but I'm sure you have either an opinion behind it or a chapter to back it up. Right now, I have one inkling of a clue as to what might happen. I'm thinking this is what happened between the time where Mike first met Raven. Ominous would be the right word to explain my thoughts. Yes. This will be good.

TTG~Matt H. Trusting in Mate's Shock Factor

9. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Yes I do, but explaining it now will spoil too many things. There are so many twists in this story, and all of them so important, that figuring out what I can and cannot say is more than a little tricky. Needless to say, the next chapter should hopefully answer your question, at least in part.

Matt A,
    The Sultan Of Shock

10. rrarbecy

rrarbecy I'm Back!

1. I have no idea what that prologue was all about.

2. BUT I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY CONFUSION!!! YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE THIS IS DWYR BUDR 2!!!!!!!!! The long-awaited sequel to one of the best stories I have ever read(yes, that includes professionally authored books). I'm not kidding. Seriously. If this is any indication of things to come, then I'll be glued to my seat.

11. Pookey

Pookey Member

-gasp- it has begun -gasp- YAAA!!!!! go Matt!!!!! woohoo!!! this is gonna be great and w/ a begining like that! wow this is gonna be sooooo sAweet!! omg i sounded like BB when i siad that..i sooo hope ash doesnt hear that...ok back to review anyway ya this is gonna rocl oh ya! taht prologe was powerful im my view! \m/ \m/ rock on MAtt!

12. percguy89

percguy89 Things Change

Matt, let me apologize for being a complete and total idiot.

IT took me till just now to read all of Dwyr Budr1, and the prologue of Dwr Budr2, can u ever forgive me??????

i noe i wont b able to forgive myself for taking so long!!!!!!!!!

DAYUM!!!! Dwyr Budr has got to be one of the best fics on the whole forum. Its so interesting and confusing [font=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif]that im still trying to[/font] fully understand the ending.

excellent job with that.

and now with Dwr Budr 2, i cant wait to see where u take this.

dude, freaking awesome, is all i can say.

keep it up for the love of GOD!!!!!!!!!!!

and peace out

13. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Well, seeing as this has had 125 views and 13 posts (not including my own) in only twenty-four hours, I'm assuming that my latest work is rather popular already. Wow!:anime: :anime: :anime: :anime: :anime:

And now for the more specfic comments:

Sadly for you guys, it's going to be very long time before I resolve any of that confusion, and buy that time one or two other things will have happened that might well even make you not wonder about it anymore...:evil:

Out of everything that everyone has said, it's possible the above statement that flatters me the most. Thanks!:anime: :anime: :anime:

In that case, I forgive you.;)

Yes.:p

As with the prologue, it's gonna be a while before this story addresses that little issue. But still, everything that happens until then will keep you interested regardless. I hope.:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Thanks! But still, there's only so much that I can teach a writer of your calibre...;)

Anyway, as a reward for all of you being so loyal to this story already, I'll get on and write chapter one tomorrow. It'll be ready for you as soon as whoever I can persuade to edit gets on and does so.:anime: :anime: :anime:

Matt A,
    The Sultan Of Shock

PS: "Dwr" doesn't have a y in it, by the way.:shrug:

#13 Matt A, May 15, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2005
  14. Reket

Reket ~>Random Cliffy Lover

Wow!:eek: Breathtaking descriptions. This is really something.This is a great start! I can't wait to read more!

15. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

Right, here's Chapter One. This is where the plot (at least, what little there is of it) of the first half of this epic will start to take shape. Hopefully it'll make sense, but even though it survived DJ's editing largely unscathed (thanks to him for giving it the once-over for me!:anime: ) I'm still not sure if you'll get all of it. Just in case the many descriptions aren't as clear as they should be, I've got some pictures that I can try and load up for you: if you want them, just shout. Apart from that, there's not a lot else that I can say this time round...oh, apart from the fact that this is the single longest chapter that I've ever written, and I'm stll not quite sure how I managed it.:confused: :confused: :confused:

(Note to first-time readers: there was a vital part of this chapter that I had initially forgotten to put in, so I've had to go back and edit it a little. For the benefit of those who had read the original, the new bits are coloured in green.)

Anyway, thanks once again to DJ for editing this, and get reading and reviewing...

Chapter One: Alive Alone

My life now is pretty good. I have a home, friends, and many things to occupy me. My friends do not know a lot about me or my past, and I want to keep it that way. They are great friends, but none of them would understand what I've been through. Whenever (if ever) someone brings up my past, I usually give them a look so they know not to, and change the subject. I know that they all have been through things, and we all are different, and that's probably why we're here together, in Jump City. I am somewhere where I fit in a little (at least more than I used to) and am accepted. I guess that's what matters...but I still feel misunderstood, and probably am. I will just have to wait and see what the future has in store for me.

"A Dark Past, A Bright Future", Raven37

The main problem with her life now, Raven felt, was choice. Not the absence of choice, as standard rhetoric might lead you to conclude, but the exact opposite: there was simply too much choice for her to deal with. There were so many things to decide between, with no real indication other than her own instincts as to which choice would be the best one in any given situation. Of course, her instincts never exactly provided much help with decision-making, as all they ever wanted was to have everything and nothing all at once. As Raven knew well, when it came to decisions there was really little else for it but to just go with the first suggestion that came into your head. Even if that suggestion was ridiculous, suicidal or maybe even both, it was still always worth going with. A good example of the practical application of such an attitude was the agonizing choice that Raven was faced with now: should she buy a copy of "Bella", or should she buy a copy of "Woman's Own"?

In the end, she picked up one of each, as she usually did. She wandered over to the counter and placed the two magazines down, along with a loaf of bread, a bottle of milk and a Crème Egg. The girl manning the till of this small village shop, a chirpy yet polite young girl called Abigail, looked up from the copy of "The Guardian" that she was sort-of reading.

"Good morning Tara." she said. That was what everyone in this sleepy English village knew Raven as, and seeing as that was her plan she saw no reason to correct them.

"Good morning Abi." Raven said. Her voice was as flat as it ever was, but at least now there was a bit of warmth in it.

Abi looked down at the stuff that Raven had placed on the counter. "Would you be wanting a bag with that?"

"Yes, if you don't mind."

"It's no problem." Abi grabbed a carrier bag from underneath the counter and started running Raven's shopping under the barcode scanner, placing each item in the bag as she did so. Once this was done, she looked over at the till's display. "That'll be £4.60, please." she said.

Raven dug the coins out of her plain burgundy purse and dropped them into Abi's outstretched hand. "There you go." she said.

"Thanks."

"You know, I haven't seen you around for a while now. Where have you been, if you don't mind me asking?"

Raven smiled. "Why would I mind you asking? I've been on holiday, actually. I went to visit an old friend of mine for two weeks."

"Where does he live?"

"In the Spanish Pyrenees."

"Nice!"

"Indeed it was. Anyway, I need to get moving: things to do and all that. Have a nice day Abi."

"You too Tara."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Raven picked up her bag and walked out of the shop, humming quietly to herself as she did so. Today was looking set to be a good day: the sun was shining brightly, the sky was as blue as you could ever reasonably expect and as usual she had nothing to do except to just kick back and relax. She enjoyed life in Shipton Bellinger, as this village was called, and she intended to go on enjoying it. The many skeletons in her metaphorical closest entirely in the distant past now, and as much as they preyed on her mind they weren't about to go and destroy the life that she had set up for herself here in this pleasant English backwater.

Today was the twenty-first of June 2021, just over fifteen years and three months since the Teen Titans had disbanded. This was directly Raven's fault, and she knew it, but under the circumstances' she'd had little choice but to leave. At the time, she was a danger to anyone and everyone who knew her, and only by running away could she do anything to protect both them and herself. Even now as a thirty-four year-old woman, she was still a big problem, and anyway she was simply too comfortable with her current life for going back to her old one to be worth it.

As Raven walked the hundred yards or so down the road to her house, she briefly reflected on how she had managed to get hold of it. The house that she lived in was one that Michael Spicer, her sadly deceased ex-boyfriend, had used as a base whenever he happened to be in England. Raven was the only person aside him who knew about this place, so naturally this was where she had run to: the local authorities still believed that Michael, or at least the alias that he used to buy the house, was still alive, so making them think that he was merely renting it out to her hadn't been all that tricky. As long as about fifty pounds or so went into the alias' bank account every month - and because she found all the paperwork for it in the house, this money usually came straight back out within days - then no one would ever ask any questions. A morally dubious and highly illegal arrangement, to be sure, but she felt that Michael would be proud of her.

Raven's house was in a third-of-an-acre plot on the corner of two roads, one of the three main thoroughfares in the village and a smaller side road, and in a way it suited her well. The two sides of the square-shaped plot that faced onto the roads were bordered by a long six-foot hedge, which certainly gave the house's name, "Well Hidden", a very real relevance. Raven liked her privacy, and with this place she definitely got it.

The best way to describe this house and its surrounding garden is if you imagine looking at it all in an aerial photograph. The main road forms the top of the frame, and the side road forms the right side. The house itself takes up the bottom-left quarter of the plot, which leaves the other three quarters for the garden. Well, actually, it doesn't: the bottom-right quarter is taken up by a huge gravel car park, one that leads onto the side road via a wooden farmyard-style gate that's a good ten foot across whilst still being remarkably easy to swing open and closed. The only things that occupy the car park are a large green shed in the far bottom-right corner, a rusting horse trailer in the top-right corner and a green Land Rover Discovery that at the moment is parked haphazardly in the middle.

Because of all this, the huge garden takes up the top half of the plot, and it's this that is Raven's pride and joy. Due to not being much of a gardener, Michael had pretty much left it as he had found it (i.e., an empty field), so Raven felt compelled to re-work it as a way of occupying her time. Separating the garden from the car park is a ten-foot-high fence made of rough-cut wooden poles, arranged in a way that looks rustic without being twee, and on the garden side of this fence is a long flower border filled with some of pretty much any type of flower you could ever imagine. All of these flowers have been grown from seed by Raven herself, aided and abetted by the huge greenhouse that forms part of the top-right corner of the garden.

Not far from the greenhouse is a large pond that's covered with brown lilies and surrounded with an assortment of water-loving grasses (oh, and most of the local frog population), and forming a vague "L" shape with this pond and the greenhouse is the random thing that is Raven's current project. Right in the very top-right corner of the whole plot is a small dirt bank, edged off on the right-hand side with a low wall of reclaimed railway sleepers, and on the left-hand side is a man-(or rather, woman-) made waterfall-thing, which uses a trench in the dirt and various pieces of slate to make a series of "steps" that let water cascade in that oh-so pretty way down the bank and into the pond. This trench is lined with large amounts of pond liner, but because this project is currently unfinished that's about all you can see. Once the waterfall is finished in another few weeks, it'll be surrounded with yet more home-grown flowers, and there'll be a small wooden bench placed at the foot of the large tree that grows out of the very back of the bank. For now, though, Raven can only dream about the relaxing days that she'll be spending sitting under the tree and looking at her beautiful garden.

And now onto the house itself. This is a bit of an odd building, forming a very vague "L" shape due to its multiple extensions. The main part of the house is a cuboid structure built in the 1930's, with red brick on its bottom half and white plaster n its top half. The first of the two extensions, built in the 1950's, is the conservatory, kitchen and downstairs bathroom (in the '30's, a house had no need for any of those), and sticks out into the bottom-left corner of the plot. It covers only one floor, and is also made from red brick. The second extension, built in the 1980's and of the same size and material as the first, sticks out of the bottom-right corner of the first extension, and contains a bedroom (unused) and a garage (used for everything but storing cars). The "gap" formed by the shape of the house is filled by a patio area with a small rock garden in one corner, as well as a small lawn used by Raven's dog, an ageing Black Labrador called Lisa, for everything that dogs like to use lawns for. These two additional parts of the garden are fenced off from the car park by the same type of wooden fencing that was described earlier: except, in this case, there's a small metal gate to allow access.

There, that all made sense, didn't it? Oh well, never mind.

Anyway, back to the story.

After her short walk from the local shop, Raven pushed open the tiny wooden gate that was at the far top-right corner of the plot, just opposite the front door of the house. No one ever used the front door these days, as the patio doors that were on the conservatory round the side were closer to the car park, and so much more appropriate for general use. Even though Raven was nearer to the front door than the side one at this point, she felt like wandering round to the side anyway. So that's what she did.

Raven unlocked the patio doors, and entered the conservatory. It was only called that in the loosest of senses, as even though it had a clear roof the sides were red brick (ergo, not clear). One of the first things that Raven had done upon moving in was to knock the conservatory and kitchen into one complete room, with the only thing acting as a partition between the two being a huge wooden worktop that would have counted as an island unit if only it didn't have the one corner that was connected to the wall. The worktop itself, as well as the other worktops along the kitchen walls, was made from varnished light brown wood, with the cupboards above and below all these worktops made from wood painted plain white. The kitchen/conservatory room itself was painted in plain-yet-interesting terracotta, with the floors being wood-effect vinyl: old school, without a doubt, but very comfortable on bare feet.

Raven placed her shopping bag down on the "island" worktop, next to gray steel sink, and pulled out her Crème Egg. Its chocolate/sugar-infused-artificial-cream combo was as gorgeous as always, and as she ate it she had a think about what she was going to do with her day. Her horses in the stable on the other side of the village - running a "horse retirement home", as she liked to call it, was how Raven made her money - were all fed and sorted out for the morning, so she wouldn't need to go tend to them again until sometime in the evening, probably around six-thirty-ish. She decided that she'd fill in the time until then by planting up some of the seedlings that were starting to get a little big for their pots in the greenhouse. After putting on a pair of gardening gloves, she went outside and over to the greenhouse, and once inside she picked up two trays of Petunias and a tray each of Dahlias and Marigolds: you couldn't tell that was what they were yet, but once they spent some time in the garden it wouldn't be long before they got big enough to flower.

Raven carried the four trays over to the border by the fence, using a trowel that she placed nearby to dig a few seedling-sized holes in the ground where she judged that the new plants would have enough space to grow. She was a dab hand at this by now, so it wasn't exactly a hard task for her. Maybe later on she'd take some of the bigger plants in the border and re-plant them over on the bank, but for now it was enough to ensure that the seedlings were safe in the ground. Raven laughed quietly to herself as she did this: when growing up as an Azerathian, and then as a Teen Titan, she'd never expected that she'd come to enjoy gardening. But she did, and even to this day she wasn't quite sure why.

But at least she was doing something with her life. That was the most important thing. When she first arrived at this house some fifteen years ago, all she wanted from her life was to not live it anymore. She had screwed up, and the way in which she had done it had been nothing short of spectacular: she had been carrying Michael Spicer's baby, a task that had given her total enjoyment, but the unbalanced nature of her superpowers had ensured that when the baby was born…well, things got more than a little messy. She'd had little choice but to run away from all the carnage, and had resigned herself to a life without the one person she had wanted to hold most dear to her, but now would never have the chance to. Nevertheless, fifteen years of constant meditation and practise, along with a quiet life without everyone around her knowing of her past and her freaky talents, had ensured that a mistake like the one she was trying to run away from would never happen again. For the first time in her life, Raven had complete control over her powers, and the satisfaction that came from never needing to use them was perhaps what made her current life so good. Okay, so maybe her closest friends, the other four members of the Teen Titans, weren't enjoying it with her, but then again that was probably the point: they were leading their lives, she was leading hers, and that as far as any of them needed to take it.

Raven felt a brief tinge of sadness when she rembered the holiday she had literally only come back from the day before. As she had told Abigail, she had gone to visit an old friend in the Spanish Pyrenees: however, as she hadn't said, not only was said friend dead, but going to visit him was pretty much the exact opposite of a holiday. At this time every year, she would go to the church on the mountain-top near the town of Viella, and she would sit in front of Michael Spicer's grave and just...remember. Every time she did this, the flood of memories about all that had happened between the two of them, and everything that had happened afterwards, brought her an intense amount of emotional pain, but she just couldn't bring herself to sever her connections with the past entirely. After all, if she wasn't going to go on remembering Michael, who else would? Who else had ever gotten close enough to him to be suitable for the job?

After about ten minutes of planting, Raven finally looked up and noticed the man who had been watching her the entire time. A guy in his mid-'30's, wearing a red T-shirt, pale blue jeans and the blackest of black designer shades, was leaning on the main gate, watching Raven go about her work with an expression halfway between curiosity and puzzlement. Once he was sure that he'd got Raven's full attention, the man spoke.

"You know, Raven," he said, "out of all the things that I imagined you doing with your life, gardening wasn't really one of them."

If the man's spiky black hair hinted at his identity, then his statement clinched it. Raven felt an intense desire to run up and hug him for all both of them were worth, but quite frankly she wouldn't be Raven if she didn't just make do with her usual cold and calculated responses. She stood up and walked over to the gate, stopping a few feet in front of her old friend.

"Good morning, Robin." she said. "It's been a long time."

Robin smiled. "Indeed it has. You know, you seriously shouldn't have ever expected me to stop trying to find you. When one of your friends runs away, you do what you can to get them back."

"I know. Is that what you came here for? To "bring me back"?"

"No. It's too late for that now. I just wanted to see you again, that's all."

"Fair enough. It's not that I don't care about you, it's just-"

"You want a simple life, and neither me nor any of our friends can ever give you that. I understand that, and I'm fine with that. I just wanted to see how you were getting on without us."

"Well, I suppose that I might as well invite you inside. There's no point in coming all this way just to spend all day leaning on my front gate."

"In a minute, yeah. There's something that I want to show you first. Something that I think you'll like."

"What is it?"

"Follow me and you'll find out."

Raven looked over Robin's shoulder to see a car parked about ten feet down the road. She opened the gate and followed him down to the car, a blue Vauxhall Astra that was clearly starting to show its age: if he rented it, which he probably did, then it was the rip-off of the century. Once they were both stood by the passenger window, it wound down to reveal a girl sat inside. She was about fifteen years old, and if wasn't for her short brown hair and black rimless glasses she'd be an absolute spitting image of Raven when she was the same age (even without the jewel, which thanks to plastic surgery was now no longer visible; her purple hair, her other distinctive feature, was now black and shoulder-length). Even though Raven had never seen this girl before, she knew precisely who she was: the one person who she had never expected to see. Raven stood there in complete and total shock and amazement, incapable of thinking, saying or doing anything.

Robin looked over at the girl. "Carrie," he said to her, "I'd like you to meet your mother."

#15 Matt A, May 16, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  16. Sproxie

Sproxie Active Member

*girly squeal* :anime: :anime: :anime:

Wow, your description was awesome, I could imagine everything perfectly, The plot is great and, and- wow. Or maybe I'm overreacting... :sweat:

How did Robin find her anyway?

17. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

That, dearest Sproxie, you will find out later. In about two chapters time, I do believe.;)

I'm glad that you could picture the house okay. That's the one thing that I was worried about: that my description was so detailed that it'd just become muddled. But still, it turned out alright, so everything's fine...well, ish.:shrug:

Oh, and I forgot to mention this ealier, but there's something very...special about that house and its location. Can anyone guess what?;)

Matt A,
    The Grand Vizier Of Shock

18. Sproxie

Sproxie Active Member

Is it your house?

or do you mean special to the story, or....?

19. Matt A

Matt A Smile. Or Else.

No, the first guess was correct: at the risk of extreme arrogance, I've decided to set the first quarter or so of this fic in my own house. I suppose that it's me taking the idea of "putting yourself into your work" to its most logical conclusion. Or something like that, anyway.:shrug:

Matt A,
    The Grand Vizier Of Shock

20. JAG

JAG Active Member

Great description, interesting story, already a big shock/cliffhanger....pretty much awsome!:D