1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD... soon everything BUT Looney Tunes!

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by ChrisWinston, Jul 7, 2001.

1. ChrisWinston

ChrisWinston I will walk alone...

This is Kent Brockman reporting live from the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant.

No Bugs Bunny, no Looney Tunes but here comes America's favorite cartoon family. More than 2½ months from release and it's currently the 7th best seller at Amazon. If they release 2 seasons per year as they are with The X-Files, will they have every single Simpsons cartoon on DVD BEFORE the Looney Tunes collection ever gets off the ground????? The disrespect continues, or so it seems to me.

Simpsons DVDs to Arrive This Fall
    By Jouni Paakkinen (jouni@snpp.com) - May 5, 2001 - Revised June 19, 2001
    For years, Simpsons fans have yearned for a comprehensive collection of episodes in high-resolution, digital format. That dream nearly came true in early 1998, when 20th Century Fox Home Video and Gracie Films began a collaborative effort to produce laserdisc releases of the series.
    Plans initially called for a season 1 boxed set, complete with ancillary materials and "directors' commentary"-style audio tracks featuring the show's key producers and creator. When Chatsworth, California-based Image Entertainment was charged with remastering the series' first 13 episodes for the release, there seemed to be little doubt that the show was indeed about to make its debut in the world of digital video.
    But following the tweaked master tapes' return to Fox, no laserdiscs ever materialized, and 20th Home eventually confirmed without explanation that the project had been postponed indefinitely.
    The good news is that Fox is now preparing a similar product in the wildly more popular DVD format, with plans for multiple regional editions throughout the world. Scheduled for a Sept. 25 release, the 3-disc Season 1 DVD boxed set will feature all 13 episodes from the series' first season (1989-1990), each complete with creator's commentary by Matt Groening on alternate audio tracks. The release date was first confirmed on June 14 by a Variety story.
    Along with original scripts, early sketches, magazine covers, foreign language clips, and stills, the release will also offer fans a look at the unaired version of “Some Enchanted Evening” (7G01), which was scrapped on account of production woes.
    Other bonus features will include Albert Brooks outtakes from the episode “Life on the Fast Lane” (7G11), the first Simpsons vignette aired April 19, 1987 on The Tracey Ullman Show (“Good Night Simpsons” #MG01), the British TV special “Making of The Simpsons: America's First Family,” and an easter egg ABC News report on on the famous Bart Simpson T-Shirt controversy of the early 1990s.
    Fox asked fans for their feedback concerning possible bonus contents earlier this year with an official ePoll.com questionnaire.
    20th Century Fox Home Entertainment will launch the release with a full-scale marketing and advertising campaign, set to cover general interest and entertainment magazines as well as national television and online media. Additional information about the release's availability will be highlighted at the official Simpsons web site (www.thesimpsons.com) in addition to Fox Home Entertainment Online (www.foxhome.com).
    Offered at the suggested US retail price of $39.98 ($49.98 Canada), the Simpsons Season 1 DVD Collector's Box Set will take the form of 3 dual-layered DVD discs (1.33:1 full frame), each with episodes presented in English 5.1, and Dolby Surround in English and French. English and Spanish subtitles will also be available. According to details provided by 20th Century Fox Home's Italy office to DVDweb.it, special attention will be given to the packaging, which is said to have "high-tech" features.

Disc 1

“Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire” (7G08 - December 17, 1989);
    “Bart the Genius” (7G02 - January 14, 1990 - official series premiere);
    “Homer's Odyssey” (7G03 - January 21, 1990);
    “There's No Disgrace Like Home” (7G04 - January 28, 1990);
    “Bart the General” (7G05 - February 4, 1990);
    “Moaning Lisa” (7G06 - February 11, 1990);

Bonus features: Original scripts with notes by Matt Groening for “Bart the Genius,” “Bart the General”, and “Moaning Lisa.”

Disc 2

“Call of the Simpsons” (7G09 - February 18, 1990);
    “The Telltale Head” (7G07 - February 25, 1990);
    “Life on the Fast Lane” (7G11 - March 18, 1990);
    “Homer's Night Out” (7G10 - March 25, 1990);
    “The Crepes of Wrath” (7G13 - April 15, 1990);
    “Krusty Gets Busted” (7G12 - April 29, 1990);

Disc 3

“Some Enchanted Evening” (7G01 - May 13, 1990);

Bonus features: Original script with notes by Matt Groening for “Some Enchanted Evening,” outtakes from the unaired version of “Some Enchanted Evening,” an excerpt of the animatic version of “Bart the General” (1m:49s) with commentary from Matt Groening and former director David Silverman, Albert Brooks Outtakes from “Life on the Fast Lane” (3m:43s), the BBC “America's First Family” television special (4m:48s), an ABC News Special Report on the Bart Simpson T-Shirt controversy (1m:45s), the first-ever Simpsons short to air on “The Tracey Ullman Show,” five foreign-language clips, a stills gallery of early Simpsons sketches, and magazine covers.

Press release

According to Fox Home Entertainment, a second DVD boxed set featuring all 22 episodes from the series' second season (1990-1991) may be released in time for the Christmas season. Additional Simpsons DVD boxed sets would follow, at the average rate of 2 each year.
    Future news concerning the DVDs will be added as it becomes available. In the meantime, keep an eye on our Newsbites column for future DVD news and rumors.
    Update (07/02) Amazon.com is taking advance orders for the set ($29.98).

#1 ChrisWinston, Jul 7, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2001
  2. billyjoelfan

billyjoelfan A BILLY JOEL FAN!

thanks for the info! i'll be looking realy foward to it's release

billy joel the song uptown from an innocent man album released in 83 was featured in one of the simpsons eps fan

3. Sveven Dvorking

Re: DVD... soon everything BUT Looney Tunes

I don't even read posts like this. I am an ANTI-DVD person. I am still buying VHS tapes only. When the time comes that VHS tapes are outdated, I can copy them on to DVD.:p

4. Re: Re: DVD... soon everything BUT Looney Tunes

Anti-Dvd? This makes no sense to me. Do you not like CD's, too? Or the automobile? Do you hate the Dvd format and want it to go away or they're just not for you, yet? Not everyone has a Dvd player yet but the time will soon come when more people own Dvd than Vhs. What will you do when they stop selling new Vhs tapes? It's truly a dying format. All the extras they'd pack onto LT/MM Dvd's they're not going to offer on crummy old tape.

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Metal-Eating Bird

You don't like DVD's because they cost more than VHS...

Actually...they cost just about the same now. I bought my last VHS last November!

You're better off buying a DVD rather than copying VHS to DVD. First, the quality would be bad. Second, it's nearly 30 bucks for a recordable DVD. Third, DVD's seem more expensive because VHS tapes are going way down in price. You can actually buy Ben-Hur for around 20 bucks on DVD(depending on where you get it.)

The Superman: The Movie DVD cost me a little $18.99 and is letterboxed, has about 2.5 hours of extras, 5.1 Dolby Digital sound, and superb picture and audio quality...

The only tapes you might want to transfer to DVD are tv shows and movies that aren't on DVD yet. Tapes will look like snot on DVD, so re-purchasing the DVD of the movie is the best way to go...

I did this with Amadeus, Fantasia, Weird Al: Live!, and one of my 3 Stooges DVD's. VHS is going to become the 8-track of video by 2010...

As for Looney Tunes DVD's...why have just 6 (VHS) or 14 (laserdisc) when you can have FOUR HOURS of cartoons one one SIDE of a DVD? You could have nearly 30 cartoons to a disc...plus extras like neat menus, commentary, remixed sound, photo gallieries...

Warner Bros. has put out a LOT of excellent DVD's and they don't spare any detail (They spent 3 years restoring Citizen Kane for DVD!). For the first time EVER, we could see original non-AAP prints of cartoons like Gorrila My Dreams...with full Technicolor hues intact! We could finally know who animated Along Came Daffy...and what was cut from The Heckling Hare!

Looney Tunes are loonier on DVD and Merrie Melodies are merrier on DVD.

#5 Patrick McCart, Jul 7, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2001
  6. Gossamer

Gossamer Occupation: Foole

VHS "The 8-track"? Come on!!!!

Yeah and people were predicting that once you could afford a recordable CD unit that cassettes would die too. CDs didn't even kill LPs permanently! The two technologies will co-exist side by side because they serve different niche markets.

7. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

Still no LT DVD but.....

Warner DVD, this is true, is making a TELETUBBIES DVD. Now after all thios timew we've been asking for a DVD WE GET A TELETUBBIES DVD! WARNER IS NOT FAIR! THEY REFUSE TO MAKE A LOONEY TUNES DVD YET THEY MADE A TELETUBBIES DVD! That is not fair at all.:mad:

8. Gossamer

Re: Still no LT DVD but.....

Whatever gave you the idea that life was fair-or has to be? That's life! As far as your argument goes, posts like this do nothing to improve the prospects of a LT/MM DVD-they'll take the opposite view in all likelihood-tantrums are for children.

9. The Dork Knight

The Dork Knight The saddles do what now?

I'm a 12 year old, so does that classify me as a child? ;) And do you know any 3 year olds that can operate a DVD player? Then why are they making a Teletubbies DVD?God, Warner is a bunch of damn retards.

10. Gossamer

3 year olds and DVD players

LOL! You got me there! As for 3 year olds, they may not operate DVDs but their parents do. My nephew has been watching Thomas the Tank Engine for years and his folks have bought every VHS on the market. Warner's thinks there's gold in them there Teletubbies and the Warner Brothers Stores are all closing by October. Id like to see all the Warner Bros cartoons in-print. I'd also like a date with Rene Russo. Neither is likely to happen in my lifetime. Calling them retards isn't likely to speed up the release of LT/MM DVDs though. That's my main point.

11. grundle

grundle Member

number of cartoons per DVD

There's nothing inherent about the VHS format that limits it to only 6 cartoons per tape. A two hour tape can hold about 16 or 17 cartoons. The Columbia House tapes have about 12-14 cartooons per tape, for example.

And there's nothing inherent about the DVD format that says that a DVD would have to have 4 hours. For example, the Japanese Tweety and Sylvester DVD only has 11 cartoons.

I don't think that the physical medium is the biggest factor for determining how many cartons go onto these releases. The real factors are ones of intellectual property: What's the minimum number of cartoons that they can put on and still be able to promote and sell the product? How much does it cost for the rights to reproduce and sell the intellectual property? How much are people willing to pay for the product? etc., etc., etc.,

Look at the Tom and Jerry DVD. They could have fit about 28 or 30 cartoons on there. But they only put on about half that much.

I'm not complaining. I'd be perfectly happy with 15 cartoons per disc.

Of course, I'd be even happier with 28 or 30!

But, the ultimate decision as to how many get put on each disc will be based on many factors. The DVD's ability to hold 4 hours simply sets an upper bound on the number of cartoons that could fit on a disc. The lower bound is based on many other factors.

Actually, 4 hours may even be a bit high. Because of the black outlines used in animation, some kinds of animation uses a higher than normal data rate. For example, the Pinnochio DVD is a dual layer disc, even though it's well under 2 hours long. On the other hand, the Tom and Jerry DVD is longer than the Pinocchio DVD, but it all fits on one layer. And the Uber Iwerks DVDs are very, very long. I think the first one is over 3 hours long.

12. Greg Method

Greg Method Square Dance Caller

Guys, I'm sure Warner Bros. is not refusing to release Looney Tunes DVD's. What have we been hearing for the last few years? They're being remastered....they're looking for the original openings....

If Warners wanted to they could rush-release DVD versions of the laserdiscs and just sell those forever. They know those would sell. But obviously they won't because they want to make the Looney Tunes releases something special....something worthy of DVD.

Besides, if Warner Bros. didn't really care about how to handle the cartoons on DVD, wouldn't we have seen compilations released before Tom and Jerry and a generic Hanna-Barbera catch-all disc?

The only reason those two Tweety DVD's got out in Japan is because Warner Home Video's Japan divison has a thing for laser technology. And I doubt anything was done to the Tweety cartoons on those DVD's. All you got were the same cartoons from the VHS releases in the same quality but on a five-inch disc.

I know this seems like forever to wait, but trust me I know in my heart Warner Bros. will not let us down when they are released. Besides, don't the best things come to those who wait?

13. Sinople

Sinople Toonhead

i dunno

I dunno if WB is going to give us the greatest collection of Merrie Melodies and Looney Tunes the world has ever seen. I suspect the delay is not so much looking for perfect elements, but editing the cartoons to make them "safe" to market as middle america babysitters. DVD, I'm afraid isn't viewed as strictly a collector's medium like Laserdisc. I suspect many of the cut toons on Cartoon Network are what the dvds are going to be mastered from. Hopefully I'm wrong, but seeing how the extras on WB cartoons tend to be games gear towards small children; I have a sinking feeling.

Let's pray I'm chicken little and that we get great dvds....

:D

14. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Metal-Eating Bird

WB, nor Turner never released a censored tape or laserdisc.

Even un-PC no-no's like September In The Rain and Fresh Hare were 100% uncut. WB released a laserdisc with many oft-censored cartoons, too.

WB wouldn't use any TV masters...they would be wasting their money simply because the masters are of much lower resolution than the masters used for DVD's. (Compare the DVD version of North By Northwest to the TV version.)

The same goes for computer colorized versions. They would look awful on DVD. Warners knows they have a lot of fans out there and there's no reason to why they'd plop out anything less than new transfers. If they REALLY wanted to put out some quickie DVD's, they would have put them out in 1997...with the same old AAP prints, Sunset prints, and whatever was nearby.