1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Good to have confirmation so we're not speculating whether cast members will return.

So now the question becomes: Who do you think we'll get for replacements? And, will they choose replacements that at least sound reasonably close to the original VAs, or will they go in a totally different direction? And if the former, who do you think is best suited for being a sound-alike?

2. Whimsical Crank

Whimsical Crank Sensible to a Slight Degree

Yeah but this wasn't an age thing (especially considering that Bret Iwan is younger than Chris D.). If I remember correctly (I could be wrong), Disney wanted someone other than Iwan to voice Mickey as a way to separate his persona from other Mickey related projects (since Mickey's character in the 2013-present series is quite different than what most kids today are used to), something to that regard. Point being, Tony Anselmo still voices Donald in all Disney projects including the new MM series, and given that he's only in his mid-50s, I'd be shocked if he gets replaced.

Heck, I'm shocked that Terrence McGovern and Russi Taylor (especially the latter) are being replaced, quite sadly too considering the excitement of the former. However, I guess considering the new DuckTales series will be airing when the aforementioned two are in their mid to late 70s, it'd be asking a bit too much of them to do another full series at this point in their lives. I'm optimistic they'll find good replacements.

3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

The mere fact that Young recorded all that dialogue for Remastered is cool enough for me.

4. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

Scrooge McDuck: Robert Carlyle. Like Alan Young, he's another well known Scottish actor, and he does have some voice over experience doing some Castlevania games. He's also currently a regular on Once Upon a Time, which happens to be a Disney owned show.
    Launchpad: I was randomly thinking maybe Johnny Yong Bosch? If not, maybe Travis Willingham (who already works on Disney's Sofia the First) or Troy Baker.
    Huey, Dewey and Louis: If Russi Taylor really doesn't return, then perhaps Tara Strong?
    Gyro Gearloose: They might just have Chris Edgerley reprise the role after doing DuckTales Remastered.
    Fenton/Gizmoduck: James Arnold Taylor. I think he has the right range for the character, and would be a better replacement than Eric Bauza was in DuckTales Remastered.
    Magica De Spell: Tress MacNeille or Grey DeLisle.
    Flintheart Glomgold: They might just have Brian George reprise the role from DuckTales Remastered. Can't think of anyone else.

5. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

The only times that Disney needs to replace the voice actor is when he or she passes away, retires or when they do not want to do it anymore. Replacing Alan young and June Forey is understandable since they almost in their 100's but replacing Russi Taylor as Huey, Dewey, and Louie does not make sense. Have they replaced Russi Taylor as Minnie Mouse yet nope

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Yeah Rob Paulsen playing a different character he didn't play in the original animated show. So what though? The rest of the cast is entirely different. When they did a new show in 2003, again a completely new cast. Even when they did a crossover with the original Turtles, they cast different VA's because it was a non-union show.

7. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

The other thing with Donald Duck is that it's a rather difficult voice to pull off, and Tony Anselmo was trained by Clarence "Ducky" Nash himself. Replacing Tony would be utterly pointless this far in the game, and way too much work. Especially when he's only half as young as Alan Young and June Foray.

8. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

You know I think that Tony Anselmo and Russi Taylor will be the only two voice actors who won't be replaced for the new series.

9. Antiyonder

Antiyonder Amalgam Universe Overlord
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, we've have some completions for Gargoyles (if you could the original two seasons only) and Talespin.

And Ducktales could easily get it's final volume if sales go up on the current ones, plus the recently made more accessible "Treasure of the Lost Lamp" movie.

Supporting the Uncle Scrooge trades from Fantagraphics and comic from IDW would also help.

10. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

Disney needs to keep Tony and Russi on board at least. Replacing those 2 will make no sense at all

11. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Disney will do whatever they want to do. It's their studio and their show, so ultimately, it's their call. Disney isn't going to bring back the original VAs just because nostalgia demands it. Like I said earlier, today's kids are too young to remember the original (1987) voice cast, therefore they have no nostalgic fondness for the original voice actors and won't notice nor care that they have new VAs.

Anyway, the quality of the writing and animation matters far more than voice cast. Teen Titans GO! has the original voice cast from Teen Titans: TAS, but that doesn't stop the show from sucking.

12. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

YAY! Disney afternoon is coming back! More or less. I hope is either traditional or flash, I'll be happy. But, please don't make it CGI! Once again, I don't hate CGI.

13. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

What wrong with cgi? And what new voices of today you'd like to hear to replace the old ones? I have no idea and I'm open to suggestions. Btw what's so good about Duck Tales again?

14. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

It just feels sterile and artificial

[​IMG]

15. dumbfoolkid5

What was that for? What do you mean heresy?

16. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

ALL animation is artificial. There is nothing more inherently natural about hand-drawn animation or stop-motion animation than there is about CGI, especially given recent advances in the tech. I get what I think you're trying to say about CGI (Brad Bird famously said something to the effect in the commentary track to The Incredibles that computers want to make everything look smooth, hard, and clean), but I don't think it's true of CGI as a medium and I definitely don't think the bigger budget productions suffer from looking "artificial" in the same way that, say, Toy Story did.

17. dumbfoolkid5

I thought cgi look rather nice.

18. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

[​IMG]

Seriously?

No one can definitively answer that question for you, because it would just be others' personal opinions. If you don't remember the series, Try to watch or re-watch the original episodes and judge for yourself whether the series is any good or not.

#98 Goldstar Neo, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
  19. SaneMan

SaneMan Well-Known Member

actually there is
    it is actually touched by human hand

20. dumbfoolkid5

On more thing, nobody answered the question, what new voices do you think could replace the old cast? Any ideas?