"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

About that review, I noticed this was mentioned:

There is no need to worry about DuckTales' ratings at the moment. Disney XD issued this ratings release just last week about the great ratings DuckTales has had on the channel. And the fact Disney XD is mentioning them is the most important reason why DuckTales ratings are fine. Relative ratings, ratings to other shows on the same network, matter far more than absolute ratings. There is a reason why DuckTales and Star Vs. The Forces of Evil get so much more promotion than other shows on Disney XD.

There is also this Den of Geek review. The "House of Cards Zone" line used there reminded me of what a labyrinth is usually thought of first nowadays: a repeating section of a video game level like those seen in Mario and Sonic games. Perhaps this episode could be used for the basis of a level in a new DuckTales video game if Disney creates one.

What I liked about this episode was Scrooge at the check-in scene, where he knew something was off by Toad Liu Hai's "perhaps you'll never want to leave" part, and Scrooge has probably heard things like that from villains hundreds of times before. He's not easily fooled.

Also, I believe not showing Launchpad's adventure was both intentional by the writers, to make us curious about it as a potential story later on, and more importantly, possibly not irrelevant to the main story. It's easy to dismiss it as "Launchpad is just being crazy again," but I think there may be something more to it. We've already had a reference to Darkwing Duck's F.O.W.L. in this show. I've thought of the possibility that Launchpad in this show is working for S.H.U.S.H., as a potential way for him to meet Darkwing Duck later on.

• Like Like x 1
  2. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

If Alan Young hadn't died last year, do you think they could have had him voice Scrooge, or would he be too old?

3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

As long as Disney XD has that third tier basic cable placement, the ratings will probably seem lacking in comparison to other stuff.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. GolfDude

GolfDude Member

disney aired the ducktales 1 hr premiere on freeform the week after it aired, so they arent arfraid to share it on their other networks..even ones not known for airing animation outside of the holidays

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

A preview for Saturday.

7. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Doesn't he look Dr. Bushroot, maybe they are related, and that is how Darkwing Duck is going to fit into this series.

8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

But Bushroot was a duck, not a parrot.

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Quack Pack sucked. That's an insult to this show. This show is actually more like the comic books than anything (outside of Huey, Dewey, and Louie having individualized personalities.)

DuckTales "The House Of The Lucky Gander"

Carl Barks infamously hated his creation Gladstone Gander. Don Rosa did not. It's for this reason Don Rosa's Gladstone stories are always superior to Barks'. Barks detested Gladstone, so he made him a one-dimensional jerk and didn't overthink it beyond that. But Rosa seemed to be intrigued by the idea of Gladstone's luck, and managed to wring a few really cool concepts out of it.

His first major Gladstone story is, I think, the most memorable. In "Oolated Luck", Gladstone and Donald compete to gain possession of a thousand raffle tickets for a cruise vacation. Runner up gets a lifetime supply of "oolated squiggs" which seem to be a type of canned seafood similar to sardines. Anyways, Donald manages to get ahold of 999 raffle tickets while Gladstone gets one. And as Gladstone notes over and over again, Gladstone always beats the odds.

So the nephews have a crazy idea. They enter 998 of the tickets in Gladstone's name, and one in the name of Donald Duck. Gladstone is the winner of the last year's contest, so he gets to personally pick out the raffle ticket from the bowl. Of course, he picks Donald's name because Gladstone Gander always beats the odds. Gladstone is miserable about this until the end of the story reveals the cruise trip was a disaster, and Gladstone found a huge diamond in one of the squiggs. Rosa was the first writer to posit the idea that Gladstone can lose a contest or a challenge if it is in his own best interest.

And that's this episode. It isn't quite as well plotted as "Oolated Luck", but a bad luck charm like Donald winning over a lucky guy like Gladstone was never in doubt to me. Because Gladstone Gander always beats the odds. And the odds of him losing to Donald were tiny.

I like that Dewey has already named Dewey Junior, and has already gotten super attached. Great joke. Wait until the guy at the mall with the iguana sees this.

I would have liked to have seen Launchpad's "The Zeppo"-style adventure very much.

I like that in this incarnation, Scrooge is as distasteful of Gladstone as Donald is. In the comics, Scrooge could take or leave his other nephew. I like that David Tennant's Scrooge strongly dislikes him.

Scrooge being utterly bored by the golden cricket was a perfect way to end the episode.

I tend to side with Barks in thinking Gladstone sucks. So if you told me DuckTales would do an episode with him I'd actually like, I'd be skeptical. But Gladstone Gander always beats the odds. ****.

10. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks

Well we get another episode with one nephew missing, well you wanted Huey to have focus, well here you go. If the Terra forming episode wasn't enough, this clearly is.

I thought Glomgold stole the show, is over the top evilness, you got to love it.

As for Beaks himself, they have hype as this villain, and he is not really a villain, he is just a jerk. He is not going to kill anyone like Glomgold would. In a way Beaks is more of a antagonist Gladstone.

After a strong start, the last two episodes have been just okay. Maybe after they gave us all these plot episodes, it is kind of a letdown.

11. Perla Magica

Perla Magica Freeform? What's THAT?!

Welp, I didn't expect this episode to be so heavy millennal-themed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ShadowBeast

The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks!: It was alright. Glomgold was pretty much reduced to being a joke with his schemes. I actually suspected that the Professional Saboteur was hired by Mark Beaks for image reasons. Though I should've seen the "steal the product and keep the money" part of the scheme as well.

13. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Am I only who thinks the animation for Big Beaks and the Corporate Sabitor was amazing?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jean74

Jean74 Happy Thanksgiving

Yeah as really hope they are true to the original. As really think not having Alan Young there hurts a bit and with the ratings.

15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I wonder if Mark Beaks is going to become more of a villain later in the series. He was with all the bad guys in the theme song.
    I thought Mark Beaks was a pigeon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. ShadowBeast

I checked the character up on the wikia and co-producer Frank Angones said that he was an African Grey Parrot. There was even a link to the producer's site as reference.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

The Infernal Internship of Mark Beaks was pretty sweet/funny,

Scrooge/Glomgold's rivalry, so enjoyable, hehehe.
    Huey's major focus was great, being a Mark Beaks fanboy was great/funny, but it won't last long on his dark secret.
    Both Mark Beaks and Falcon, my favorite awesome enjoyable new bird villains, they have sweet character designs:D, Mark is an Anti-Gladstone, sweet.
    Glomgold's crazy plans on destroying Mark were hilarious, hehehehe, he's a great funny joke villain next to Dr. Eggman, Mojo, and Sheldon Plankton:p.
    Mark to be Glomgold's biggest nemesis was interesting.
    Huey/Dewey saving Mark from Falcon was great/funny.
    I hope to see more of Falcon further episodes, he's cool/interesting.
    Glomgold's crazy plan on Mark begins, hehehe.

From VG_Addict, Quack Pack was my favorite great classic Disney series, but I disliked the teenage versions of Huey/Dewey/Louie for poor Donald though.

#897 Radical, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  18. Orangesilentplanet

Orangesilentplanet New Member

I think Mark Beaks will be a recurring villain, because he's shown in the opening theme, along with the other villains of the series, minus Magica.

Three

19. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Mark Beaks is so funny. I like his line, "Here are your Waddle internship beanies. Congratulations, weenies!" He maybe the villain, but I think he's funny.

20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I'm wondering if they front-loaded all of the great episodes first. If that is true, then I see that Webby is far more crucial to this show's success than I suspected.

DuckTales "The Infernal Internship Of Mark Beaks!"

So-so.

Mark Beaks is so annoying. But the other characters are annoyed with him so I guess it's all right.

First episode without Webby.

Glomgold has a shark guy. Funny line.

Did Mark Beaks just invent Pep?

Love Graves calling a time-out so they could take off the stupid beanies.

I love that the Beak's company logo looks like a drooping butt. And when you wear it on a shirt, it looks like drooping boobs.

The show has done better. I miss Donald. **1/2.