"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Launchpad in this episode seemed more like he belonged in a Darkwing Duck episode, and there was that "Night of the Living Spud" episode with the vampire potato in that series. The episode reminded me of the Ducktales video game somewhat.
    Catherine Tate voices Magica De Spell, according to Flickering Myth. I was a bit surprised to hear her voice so soon, as I thought she would be one of those characters who wouldn't speak for several episodes.

The original started off with a 5 part story, then became mostly stand alone episodes for the first 65 episodes. So far, I like the ongoing story arc. A lot of the most memorable moments from the 1987 series are from the multi-part episodes, which this show is trying to do on a regular basis.

However, there is a standalone I vividly remember from the 1987 series, Duck to the Future, in which Magica in essence "wins" over Scrooge McDuck, gets McDuck Enterprises, and has Huey, Dewey, and Louie working for her 40 years in the future, which would be 2027 if the present year was intended to be 1987 when it first aired. That is one of the stories that could be interesting to see told in this series.

• Like Like x 1
    #861 Tommy Lawson, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  2. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Is Doofus is going to be in the show or not, giving how much they changed Gyro, they could change him to. If Webby is Mabel, than I can see Doofus as Gideom type character. A entitled son of a politicians that is used to getting what he wants, and like Gideom becomes intoxicated by Webby's energy and look at life, and becomes obsessed with obtaining her.

#862 zoombie, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. zlens

zlens New Member

I saw some episodes yesterday on YouTube, it was speed-up a bit(I think I like it better that way but a digress), I´m gonna say this,...

ducks are omnivorous animals, they eat tadpoles, little frogs, salamanders, small fish and the like, so I have no problem with Webby wanting a hamburger, per se.

4. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I remember seeing somewhere (I don't remember where) that Doofus was listed under villains. I can see something like this happening if this was the case.

5. zoombie

Gyro has opened the door for characters who weren't jerks in the past, to be jerks now.

I am waiting for the first school episode, and meet some of their classmates. I do think the boys will go to public school, because it is free and we know how cheap Scrooge can be. And interesting if Webby is allowed to go to school and see what would happen.

6. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

Terror of the Terra-firmians was pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Huey's major focus was great, him not believing in mythical species was interesting.

Nice seeing Lena with Huey/Dewey/Louie and Webby:D.

Launchpad and his paranoia like Sticks was funny.

The banter with Mrs. Beakley/Lena was awesome, Mrs. Beakley being the first to not trust Lena.

Webby/Huey's banter with Louie watching was funny.

Cool seeing Magica, love her new voice from Catherine Tate:D, not Grey DeLisle.

Lena's heart of gold helping Mrs. Beakley was sweet, Mrs. Beakley will give her a second chance, Lena is not that bad, I'll enjoy more of Lena with the gang.

The Terra-firmians were great new characters that helped them, I'm glad they're good and not evil, it proves Huey wrong, hehehe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

They had to make Magica one of Tennant's Dr. Who companions didn't they? That type of casting was too good to pass up huh?

Now question Disney keeps advertising the Gander episode, is that Saturday's episode? I thought the Mark Beaks episode was this Saturday and the Gander episode was in two weeks? Or are they just making a bigger deal out of that episode?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Elijah Abrams

Elijah Abrams Just deal with it!

The Gander episode is this Saturday, and the Mark Beaks one is next Saturday, according to Zap2it. In fact, the former mentioned episode comes before the latter, in production order.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

A promo for Saturday.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

After seeing the latest episode, I'm thinking Lena may have some good in her, and is more of an anti-villain than an actual villain.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

It's a thousand time better. But then, I've thought that since I saw the first episode. The old show was claptrap. This is fabulous.

But maybe not this week.

DuckTales "Terror Of The Terra-Firmians"

All things being equal, that did not work. I liked some of it, but not enough of it.

Let's start with the Terra-Firmians. I am one of those fans who does not mind seeing the show subvert expectations and make the characters unlike their Original Series or comic book counterparts. I do not object to an Aspie, socially graceless Gyro Gearloose, a sinister Helper Bulb, or a Badass Mrs. Beakley. Those are all fine. But I have no idea why they altered the Terra-Firmies so much. I'd probably be less annoyed at the horror movie overtones if not for the reveal at the end that they ARE the cuddly Terra Firmies after all.

The horror stuff IS a part of Terra Ferrmies. But it’s the INITIAL part. The ducks are then surprised to learn they are harmless (or at least not purposefully harmful) pretty early on in the game. It's actually seeing their weird society based upon a totally destructive sport that makes them interesting. It's a NASCAR / NFL obsessed world gone mad, with a dash of climate change denialism thrown in for good measure. And the fact that the Terra Firmies are the scary thing, instead of the Terra Firmies’ warped beliefs and obsessions, means they are doing them wrong.

I also object to Scrooge not being present. In both the Carl Barks story and the Original Series, the crisis involves the Earthquakes they create nearly destroying the Money Bin. I suppose they could save that story for a later date, but now the nephews and Webby have met them, so much of the magic will be gone. The Earthquakes don't even really seem to be damaging anything, so that also makes them less threatening. And the way the episode sets their threat up is ultimately bogus, so they are toothless as well.

And face it, falling through a crack in the Earth, or driving a cart down a diamond mine cart-track is a much cooler concept than exploring subway tunnels on foot.

Secondly, I don't object to Launchpad being this stupid. I like the fact that Launchpad specifically thinks Dewey of all people is his best friend. But he should never be this crazy. As big of a dope as Terry McGovern's Launchpad was, he was still pretty grounded. And for some reason that's the version I prefer.

Third, I think Mrs. Beakley sucks. What's interesting is that I didn't think that until this episode. But she's the freaking adult. She shouldn't be talking to Lena in such a frank or rude manner. She is not her peer or her girlfriend. She should treat her as firmly yet reasonably as an adult SHOULD treat any kid. And if Beakley actually thinks Lena is troubled, she should be treating her better, not worse. She should be setting a good example. I'm sure the producers would argue that in reality, some adults DO talk to kids that way. That's true. But the ones who do totally suck. Which brings me back to my initial opinion.

Good things? I like the fact that the show refuses to say if Lena is ACTUALLY playing the long game, and saved Beakley's life to get on the Ducks' good side, or if she is truly getting cold feet, and will turn on Magica when it counts. I personally believe it is the second thing, but I like that it can be read either way in this episode.

The second thing I really dug was how unapologetic Huey is at the end, and how he goes right back to his science being the one true thing belief. I like that because he's right. That's how science works. He is right to be skeptical until he gets proof, and when he does, he changes the theory according to what has been proven. And I love that there are blank pages at the end of The Junior Woodchucks Guidebook, so the Woodchucks would be encouraged to fill in the blanks themselves, and possibly become explorers in their own rights. I'm sort of kicking myself that neither Carl Barks nor Don Rosa came up with that idea. The Woodchucks are the most benevolent force in the Duckverse. I wish this wholly admirable idea had been thought up sooner.

That was some fine animation of Lena pulling up an unconscious Mrs. Beakley up with the glowing amulet. The old show never coulda pulled that off.

Lena saying the movie was educational might have actually worked had she not said it teaches kids to fear mole people, which is dumb and bogus, because mole people aren't real. She could have actually told Beakley that the movie teaches kids to be on alert for actual perceived threats, and not to trust strangers and strange surroundings, and she would have actually been right.

A mixed bag this week. **1/2.

12. zoombie

The House of the Lucky Gander

So we meet Gladstone Gander, and he is a happy medium between his comic version and the 87 version.He is not as much of a duchbag as the comics, but not as likable as the 87 series.

I like that Scrooge equally has disgust for his good luck as Donald. And funny how good luck can be a curse sometimes.

I wonder if someone like Glomgold would use Gladstone's luck for their own benefit, in the 87 series Magica used his good luck so why not? Hopefully he has some family loyalty.

Donald bad luck, got to love it. If Gladstone is in the series, I am hoping for Daisy, I understand Daisy is a different situation, Tress MacNelle is her official voice actress, if she not available, than you can't have Daisy in the series.

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

The House of the Lucky Gander: Better then expected. I was expecting Gladstone to be a bigger jerk, considering the commercial for the episode. But luckily he wasn't a complete jerk. I knew the Frog Guy was up to something, and him being a luck vampire gave the episode an unintended adventure when they were on the way to a different adventure. I love how Scrooge outsmarted the Vampire with both the room request and giving him Donald to feed off of, which only ended up starving him instead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

"Who gets stuck with all the bad luck? No one, but :donald:!"

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I'm happy to see Scrooge and Donald again. I thought Gladstone was going to be a big jerk but he was surprisingly likable (I don't really remember what he was like in the original series). The whole thing about the frog being a luck vampire caught me off guard. Until that point I was thinking it was kind of a boring episode.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

So...
    Gladstone = Louie
    Donald = Huey
    Scrooge = Dewey

Although, sure would make sense to parallel them based on color, but after the last ep it seemed Huey is almost always the odd one out because like Donald, at times, he's a more by the books kind of thinker.

• Like Like x 1
  17. thomas2313412

thomas2313412 Active Member

I watched the episode and it is great and It makes me want to rewatch it all over again.Too bad we wouldn't get to see Launchpads side of story involving his ex-girlfriend and a crime family and how he end up in a armor and a eyepatch with a baby panda in his back (probably his ex- girlfriend is a panda) this probably is a reference to the Double-O-Duck episode from the original ducktales series according to the writers.

And I like the part where Liu Hai goes weak when he considers Donalds luck 'So Awful'.I can use it for a meme.

As for the part with the golden cricket in the end where it chirps just like a normal cricket.Yeah,I think it shows that one adventure is enough for a day

18. Radical

Radical The Face of Evil & Epicness!!!!!

The House of the Lucky Gander was pretty sweet/enjoyable,

Cool seeing Scrooge/Donald for the episode.
    Donald Duck the poor punching bag I feel for next to Pluto/Goofy for having bad luck.
    Cool seeing Gladstone Gander, awesome/likable:D, interesting that he was a punk in the comics.
    Cool that Scrooge/Donald don't like it with Gladstone having good luck as much as good luck can be a curse.
    Love pandas, cool seeing other different animals in the Ducktales 2017 reboot.
    Toad the evil Ancient Frog Spirit/Luck Vampire, my next favorite cool new minor villain.
    Poor Gladestone his prisoner was interesting.
    Donald winning his challenge was sweet.
    Scrooge tricking Toad to his well-deserved defeat was awesome/funny:p.
    Gladstone to get his good luck back, the poor moron.
    A shame that Launchpad's cool crazy adventure wasn't shown, I wanted to see it, oh well:(, a nice Double-O-Duck vibe.

Mark Beaks, interesting new character, I'll enjoy his episode.

#878 Radical, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  19. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

The AV Club review of the Gladstone episode said that the Ducktales reboot is more like Quack Pack than Ducktales.

I can kind of see it. Both Quack Pack and Ducktales 2017 try to give Huey, Dewey and Louie separate personalities, and put Donald into a single father role.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I've never seen Quack Pack.

• Like Like x 1