1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

I’m truly enjoying this series so far. I thought the first part of the episode was a little shaky, but the second part was genius. As others have pointed out, the references to the original DuckTales as well as to other Disney Afternoon properties were awesome. I have to admit that many of you were sharper than I was in catching these references, but my ears did perk up on hearing St. Canard mentioned and I noticed Armstrong in Scrooge’s garage.

The new animation style is absolutely stunning—the dragon scene, in particular. I love the comic book-esque design. It kept me watching when I still wasn’t quite sure what to think of the show.

The theme song is also on point. It’s a nice homage to the original—but it has its own personality. The singer really makes it her own and her interpretation works for the modern/retro blend of the show. Listen to the theme songs side by side, and you’ll notice they complement each other beautifully.

I like that the three nephews will have different personalities in this series. That’s one of my (few) complaints about the original.

The voice acting mostly works, even if it takes some time getting used to. David Tennant has nearly impossible shoes to fill but manages quite well. Kate Micucci does an outstanding job with the new Webby Vanderquack. Launchpad and the three nephews’ new voices were a little off-putting at first, but I didn’t mind them in time. Mrs. Beakley/Beagley has become a dominatrix, which threw me off, but I think the new voice fits the character. Keith Ferguson, well known for his work as Bloo on Foster’s Home, captured the essence of Flintheart Glomgold.

In fact, I’d say the only thing that needs to find its footing is the humor. Webby’s desire to eat a hamburger was a bit strange, considering ducks aren’t usually carnivores. The Photoshop reference also didn’t work. Launchpad’s lines were probably the best. (“Yes sir, random kid I just met!” and “Oh no, the ground.”) But I think the writers will perfect this in time.

Overall, I was delighted by what I saw. The production crew’s attention to detail, especially in the references and animation, reflects a healthy respect for the original series. You get the sense that they grew up with the 80s DuckTales and are like little kids again with the prospect of working on this reboot; they bring that kind of enthusiasm to the table. Rarely has a reboot been so respectful of the original while creating its own identity. Bravo!

• Like Like x 1
  2. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

3. Duckfan

Duckfan Member

Technically it will be 25. 21 + 2 one-hour-episodes, which count as 4. I guess they will be split for syndication, just like the original series. The pilot already felt like two episodes, not only becase the opening aired in-between.

4. TheUnderMiner

TheUnderMiner Member

Upcoming episode descriptions:

Saturday, September 23
    "Daytrip of Doom!"
    (7:00 - 7:30 A.M. EDT)

The nephews take Webby to Funso's Fun Zone and have a dangerous run-in with the Beagle Boys.

*Margo Martindale ("The Americans") recurs as Ma Beagle.

Saturday, September 23
    "The Great Dime Chase!"
    (7:30 - 8:00 A.M. EDT)

Louie accidentally spends Scrooge's Number One Dime and turns to mad inventor Gyro Gearloose for help to get it back, while Dewey and Webby become entangled in a conspiracy.

Saturday, September 30
    "The Beagle Birthday Massacre!"
    (7:00 - 7:30 A.M. EDT)

After crashing Ma Beagle's birthday party, Webby and new mysterious friend Lena must fight their way through Beagle Boy turf to get back home.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Man, that's a little too early for me, but I can always DVR record.;)

6. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

You're forgetting Disney XD airs repeats throughout the day.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PiotrGT

PiotrGT Member

As a fan of the original I was positive about the series ever since it was announced. When they released the first image from the show (the one with the crew in the off-road car) I was really hyped. I was okay with the design changes. I've had high expectations and I watched first two episodes. It was good! Really good! I liked so much about it. The new version of the theme song is on par with the original, the references were really cool and unexpected (St.Canard you could expect. Cape Suzette? Spoonerville? Wow). I was okay with original Webby character but the new version is more interesting and will play larger part in the story. Overall I didn't find anything that I dislike about the new series. :D It may be early to tell (we've seen only two episodes) but I think it will be successfull. :) I've decided to wait for the Polish dubb now, it will be in 2018 though. :( Maybe I should just keep watching in English.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

I did not know that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Well they've been doing this since January. I thought you knew by now, my bad...

10. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Wait, what? Massacre? A word that means mass-killings? Odd of choice of word to use in a episode title of a kid-friendly show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Try not to think about it. I think most (repeat: "most") viewers assume that it won't be that kind of "massacre"..

Gee whiz. Some people take some things too seriously...

12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Massacre definitely evokes that mobster feel.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

13. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

What other kind massacre is there? I've only heard the word associated with massmurder. Of course that is not gonna happen in the episode, thus the choice of word seemed bizarre.
    You just did that yourself. I was merely pointing out an absurd juxtaposition and you seem to seriously believe it was a moral overraction of some kind.

14. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Sorry, it's just that some people take "animation"/"cartoons"/what have you too seriously, and that's what your post felt like to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Is Lena some obscure character that I'm forgetting, or is this a reference to the "Uncle Lena" meme from like 10 years ago?

16. TheUnderMiner

TheUnderMiner Member

17. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

18. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I think we have more than enough reboots for now...

19. TsWade2

TsWade2 Active Member

Right.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Jim Cummings is voicing Darkwing? Cool!

• Agree Agree x 1