1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

DuckTales "Woo-ooo!"

This is the DuckTales series we have always deserved. I'm less grateful than many fans, because this is how it always SHOULD have been. It's not like it was based on a cr*p property like Transformers, which made me vastly appreciate Transformers: Prime more than I would have if every other Transformers project didn't suck. But the Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge comics were literally the best untapped children's property ever, and they managed to drastically change enough things to out right ruin it in the 1980's.

This is much closer to Don Rosa than Carl Barks, which suits me fine. Rosa has always been far nerdier in his stories, and more slavish to Barks than any other writer or artist. It's sort of the fact that while Duck Comic fans before me grew up on Barks, which is why I prefer Rosa. Barks is technically better, but I was THERE for when Rosa's stories were published, so I appreciated reading them more. Because they were new, and I was one of the first people reading them before they got reprinted a bunch of times.

But yeah, this has a ton of Easter Eggs, and references to other properties. St. Canard from Darkwing Duck was mentioned, as was Spoonerville from Goof Troop, and Cape Suzette from TaleSpin. I was disappointed we didn't immmediately get a shout-out to Mouseton (if I never see Spoonerville again I'll consider myself lucky) but these cities being referenced in the Pilot suggests it is possible the writers plan to build up a giant rebooted Disney Afternoon inspired universe with various spin-offs coming, based on how successful this is. Which is AGAIN something we should have already gotten with Darkwing Duck. I still can't believe we never got a proper DuckTales crossover on that show. What was Disney thinking?

The Cape Suzette thing also says to me that the producers consider TaleSpin set in the DuckTales universe, only a prequel from the 1940's. I'd love to see TaleSpin brought back in that capacity myself.

There were a ton of Easter Eggs, but the ones that caught my eye were the Giant Golden Suns coins, Merlock's Lamp, and a deactivated Armstrong. Donald being a seasoned adventurer is a great twist.

Do you know what really bothers me about Donald's absence on the original series in hindsight? Apparently, Disney was afraid he'd pull the focus from Scooge. Which means Disney didn't understand the property at ALL, and never did. You just watched the same thing I did. Who was the break-out character there: Donald or Scrooge? It's Scrooge, of course, and always would be, and always was in the comics, and Disney not getting that that's what EVERYONE would think immediately, shows that they had so little faith in Barks' stories, that they probably should have waited to adapt them until they found it.

I love that Donald speaks in complete sentences. This was my biggest concern upon hearing that Tony Anselmo was still going to voice Donald. It sounds sacrilegious, but I would have totally accepted a recast on Donald's voice for this project only, to be able to have Donald speak like he does in the comics. And the interesting thing is that the recent Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse cartoons have given Anselmo enough practice to be able to have Donald speaking full sentences, and be able to hold onto a conversation. This does not work perfectly, as I don't understand everything he says. Subtitles will be very helpful on whatever DVD's come out. But I also now recognize the character as the exact same person from the Barks / Rosa comics, who is completely alien to me in every other animated version. Donald Duck is an everyman in the comics, not a spoiled brat, and an amazing parent and a terrible one at the same time. It's the fact that he possesses both of these facets which is what makes his struggles interesting and relateable. This is literally the first cartoon I have EVER seen that uses Donald Duck properly, and as he should be. And people might be a little surprised at how muted the character seems compared to other tantrumy characterizations. But this is the Donald I know and love.

The reboot also goes back to the original series, and keeps things that worked practically the same (Launchpad McQuack), tweaked the things that didn't until they did (Webby and Mrs. Beakley), and ignoring the crap that would NEVER work (Bubba and Doofus). I always hated that Flintheart Glomgold was Scottish on the old show. Him being South African in the comics struck me as extremely exotic and mysterious sounding. Somebody recently pointed out to me that the cartoon producers changed it because of Apartheid in the 1980's. And that makes sense to me now. But I think the Scottish thing works for me for the first time ever. Because as Scrooge notes, he's the poor man's Scrooge McDuck. Scrooge is Scottish also, but he speaks in a very naturalistic tone (probably because David Tennant is Scottish). But the guy doing Glomgold sounds like a cartoon, and like he's trying too hard. He actually has to point out the kilt, and say, "I'm Scottish," several times for people to take him seriously. And suddenly when Scrooge calls him "The poor man's Scrooge McDuck," I approve of the Scottish thing for the first time ever. Because it's half a put-on, and a part of the chip on Glomgold's shoulder.

Dewey recognizing Della in the picture at the end is interesting. Rosa had tried to do a story about the origin stories of the nephew's parents, but Disney nixed it for the same reason they didn't let him reunite Donald with his mother, Hortense. The reader would ask of Della, "Where the frak was she? What kind of mother leaves her child like that?" I'm thinking at this point, with modern families being defined in lots of different ways, Disney is now more open to exploring that idea. But it's also possible she's dead. Rosa sort of hinted Donald's twin sister WAS dead in The Life And Times Of Scrooge McDuck, in the absence of being able to create an explanation for her being missing from Return To Xanadu. I personally hope she winds up popping up on the show. The reveal of the nephew's father would also be explosive, because Rosa wasn't even allowed to put that on the freaking McDuck family tree! It seems like Disney is being a lot more permissive with its iconic characters (Paul Rudish's Mickey Mouse is another good example) and this show will be better for it.

I cannot decide if this is now my current favorite cartoon on the air, or if Justice League Action is. I often have cartoons I get obsessed about, that I will probably get as obsessed with as this. But there never tends to be two of them on the air at the same time. My kid-friendly cartoon fanboy self is very happy right now. *****.

• Like Like x 2
    #741 Fone Bone, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

That's a little overgeneralizing, IMO.

The original show is just as much the "source material" as the original comics (which the original show was never meant to be a complete adaptation of in the first place*) are. Besides which, I also mentioned that in the original show, they tried to fool Mrs. Beakley by having one of them claim they were one of the others (which didn't work), so they certainly did lie at least once. The concern is whether or not this show will focus more on that in order to be arbitrary and patronizing towards everyone (again), including those who already understand that lying is wrong. With this in mind, nowhere did I ever say (or imply) "that because heartwarming scenes and lessons learned have been used elsewhere, that nobody else is allowed to use them ever from now on" (if it was my "Friendship is Magic" comment, that was not what I was referring to, but I don't want to derail this thread, so I'll just leave it at that...for now). I only ever said that if this show does involve "lessons learned", that they don't try to shove them down everyone's throats thinking that the viewers might not be capable of learning by example, something that has been a problem with other Disney Channel and Disney XD shows.

*The point of the original show is that, one way or another it's still a fitting tribute to Disney's legacy as a whole, and that's what's most important, hence why the original show is just as much the source material as the comics are.

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Mandouga, you are contradicting yourself. You have said this reboot shouldn't be a carbon copy of the original DuckTales, yet every time they do something different or try to be more like the original comic, you complain.

Make up your mind. Be honest to yourself. Either you admit to yourself that you're not giving this reboot a proper chance, or you start watching it with an open mind.

(I haven't seen anything so far. The episode is geoblocked here)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Contradicting myself, you say? I respectfully disagree. In fact, that's just it. I am giving it a chance, and I am watching it with an open mind. My concern is whether or not the makers of this show will give the viewers a chance, and have an open mind about what DuckTales (and yes, the comics) are supposed to be about. The later episodes will determine that. I also mentioned that the original show is just as much the "source material" as the comics are, so they shouldn't ignore that either. I will however, admit that while it should try some new things, it can't stray too far from what the previous show is about either. Personally, I believe it is possible to have it both ways, if anything.

In any case, you say you can't watch the episode? Then you don't really have much of a right to criticize my views on this show (or anyone else's, for that matter). Just saying.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Since folks here are anticipating Magica de Spell appearing, I wonder if they're getting someone new for the part, since June Foray passed on recently, and I'm not sure if she'd been brought in during recording.

Seeing as how the opener is on DXD's YouTube channel, I wonder also if they have eps of the original series for comparison's sake.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

Like?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

Well, it seems like they recast the majority of the voices anyway. Heck, even if Alan Young were still alive, they may have still gotten the other Scrooge voice. I did like Kate Micucci as Webby. Good to hear her as other characters besides Velma.

8. emocobra666

emocobra666 Member

just watched this on youtube and love it ducktales is one of my fav Disney cartoons

9. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Red Arrow doesn't actually need to see the show to know that you keep contradicting yourself. He just needs to read your posts. Because that is what you are doing. Your original review is so full of contradictions it makes my head spin. You are making full judgements about the quality of the entire story like 6 minutes in, without waiting to actually see how the narrative plays out. You say the show should do something you want (like point out that lying is wrong) and then when they do it, you twist yourself into knots to say they didn't just do exactly what you wanted. I do not claim to be a professional reviewer, but here is some friendly advice about writing reviews. Watch the entire episode before forming an opinion, rather than doing a play by play. And if you aren't willing to do that, at least proof read the review before you hit post, so your opinions at least stay the same during the same review. It is very clear to me that you did not proof-read that review. Otherwise you'd realize the contortions you actually twist yourself into to find reasons to dislike the show. It is very transparent that you are NOT giving it a chance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. VG_Addict

VG_Addict Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the original Ducktales cartoon start an animation renaissance?

11. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

That was actually Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. Although it could be argued by some that it was actually Gummi Bears.

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I think I stumbled on an Easter egg on the 3rd view:

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

I mentioned that in my review. Totally Merlock's Lamp.

14. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

It's hard to believe something could feel this familiar yet so incredibly different at the same time. And for the most part, I mean that in the best ways, as not only is this an incredibly difficult balance to hit in general but it's one that kills nearly every other reboot specifically because of failing to hit said balance.

That being said, I think I respect it more than I actually enjoyed it. While everything was handled quite well on its own merits, a lot of how it's written and presented does feel rather standard for most 2010s animations. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but the original show was more its own thing even for the time.

It's hard to properly explain. There were definitely some elements that I thought were a lot more interesting than the old show, like Webby and Mrs. Beakley, and even many that I don't necessarily considered better were at least interesting to see in a new take, such as Glomgold, Scrooge's backstory, and especially Donald Duck's role. I wouldn't say it's a mixed bag by any stretch, since there's nothing wrong with how they're used here, but there's also nothing wrong with how the original was done either. To name one good example, the actual animation may be inferior to the original show's (at least IMO), but it's by no means bad and they definitely upped their game on the cinematography and lighting. Additionally, while Alan Young's Scrooge was a bit more upbeat and obsessive, here he's more complex and kind of grouchy. The two are so different yet so similar it's legit hard to tell if I even should compare the two. If I had to, I'd take the former, but by no means do I dislike the latter either, and David Tenant really does sell the Scottish accent.

To sum up, this is by all means a good show in my eyes, and is easily one of the best reboots we've gotten in recent years. I'm not sure if I would prefer this over the old show, but then again it's not like I'd at all mind watching either and the effort most definitely goes appreciated. It's the kind of reboot where I can very, very easily see some people prefer certain elements while other people prefer different ones, and I kind of like the idea of there being multiple interpretations like this. Will definitely be interested in seeing where this goes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

They had a role in mind for Alan Young, but he died before they could record.

• Informative Informative x 3
  16. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

On a similar note, Graham McTavish (I'm pretty sure I spelled it wrong), is the new voice for Scrooge's father.

17. TheMisterManGuy

TheMisterManGuy Active Member

One thing I noticed about this show so far is that the humor feels a bit more... for the lack of a better term, random than the original series. I mean jokes like the hamburger line, and the headless horseman aren't really things you'd see in the 80s series. Not that I'm complaining though, the jokes were all top notch and very clever, and I like the fact that the dialogue feels quirkier and more spontaneous this time.

18. HORNS1968CE

HORNS1968CE THE LAST MAJOR

I finisht viewing the preview a while ago, and I enjoyed it.
    It's not the 1980s anymore, and that's a good thing.
    BTW, I was 19 yo when the original series debuted.

19. dumbfoolkid5

dumbfoolkid5 Active Member

I have seen the show and it's something I can live without.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

20. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

That's why it reminded me of Gravity Falls. Just to be clear, that wasn't a complaint.