1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

^I feel Donald can get away with more limited dialog: more of an action and gag man, while Scrooge and HDL get most of the exposition-heavy dialog.

2. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

They're being realistic. Though it normally takes a traditionally animated series to have one episode be animated in like 9-11 months (thus why multiple episodes are worked on at a time) when a series is in pre-production and they're figuring out the exact designs, voice actors, budget per episode, stories, world and what not, even with stuff that's already been established, it takes awhile longer to work on, especially for studios that put a lot of detail and work in their animated. Why do you think Nickelodeon first announced a Korra series in 2010 but it only came out in 2012? Or how Star and the Forces of Evil was announced in 2013 but we only saw the first episode last month? These things take a lot of time from when they start. I mean the project's only been officially announced now. I doubt we'll even see a lot of major pre-production work until next year, let alone the rest of the series. I know there are some series that don't take as long from pre-production to production but again if the animation is more extensive and there's more build in things to talk about that's what makes it lengthy.

A 3D Ducktales in my head looks like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse which trust me NO ONE WANTS so yeah let's hope they do keep it traditional 2D. Honestly seems like Disney uses that for it's regular shows anyway and CG for it's 2-4 fare and since Ducktales will be for an older bracket (another reason it's on Disney XD I believe) that's the reasoning I hope they go with.

3. MagicBox

MagicBox xoBcigaM

I'm excited, but a *big* factor in my enjoyment of this is going to be whether or not they keep the original voice actors. I have no worries that they'll keep Russi Taylor and Terry McGovern if possible, but I'm worried about Alan Young. The man is 95 and *still* voicing Scrooge. I'm scared he might not have the energy for a whole TV show, and 2017 just seems like so very far away...

4. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

Well more than likely they'll find a new replacement who will start his career as Scrooge's new voice actor in the new show and will voice him in all subsequent appearances.

5. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty surprised about this news. I don't think I saw much of the TV series. I remember watching the DuckTales movie and that was pretty fun. I'm sure that fans are really excited for this development. Announcing the series two years in advance seems a bit much, but 2017 also feels like a long way from now too. Donald being involved with the show instead of just a guest star sounds like it could be fun. I'll probably check this out for the fun of it when it comes out.

6. Kazuya Prower

Kazuya Prower Keeping it Tails since 2005

As long as it ain't animated in cgi or flash, I'll be ok with this. I wonder if this will kickstart a second coming of the Disney Afternoon.

7. dothesmartthing

dothesmartthing Me too.

Wow, this is rather unexpecting. I have some of the original DuckTales episodes on old VHS tapes, but it's been a very long time since I've seen this show in syndication from the late '80s/early '90s.

8. becausepotatoes

becausepotatoes The loudest and proudest

I've never seen DuckTales because the only thing Disney I saw growing up were Disney movies. I didn't start watching Disney Channel until I was 12. However, I'm willing to give the original (provided I can locate it somewhere online) and the reboot a try.

9. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

Although I've never actually watched the original show (wasn't even born), but I've heard nothing but good things about it, so I'll definitely check this out in 2017.

10. Media Man

Media Man Member

All RIGHT THAT\'S GOOD!!! Come on let\'s, bring back the golden age of Disney TV Animation: Duck Tales Rescue Rangers Gummi Bears Winnie the Pooh Darkwing Duck Goof Troop Tale Spin Gargoyles Wuzzles

11. Itchy

Itchy Scratchy's enemy

Splendid news. I have often wondered why Disney haven't done more adaptations of their classic Donald or Scrooge comics. There's loads of great stories about these characters that would make terrific cartoons.

12. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

This is a surprise to hear. Obviously we might see a different animation than what we saw who had the chance to see it on TV but as many i do hope it will be 2D in the animation like the Mickey Mouse shorts or Gravity Falls.

What worries me more aside of the animation is the voice actors. Alan Young already 95 and sure we hope he will live longer but i doubt he will voice Scrooge again unless Alan was training someone to replace him, just like Clarence Nash did with Tony Anselmo but can't say is true. Speaking of Tony, obviously he will voice Donald again, as for Magica De Spell just like Alan i don't think June Foray will voice her but i know someone who can pull it off and it's Grey Griffin(or as we know her as Grey DeLisle) i mention her because of her voice of Duchess from Foster's Home, kinda reminded me of Magica.

I do like to see that they try doing some story arcs. The original has done it but then started with solo episodes with most of the series, would be cool if Alex Hirsch and the team of Gravity Falls get involve at least give it the feeling of the adventure of what Scrooge and his nephews do .

2017 is a long way to go so anything can happen, do hope by next year we see some designs of the show.

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Does anyone here read Japanese? There was a link on TVTropes to an article claiming that TMS might be involved in the 2017 series. But I want to know if this is legit before everyone breaks out the celebratory champagne.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Not me, though I recall [MENTION=32921]defunctzombie[/MENTION] spent time in Japan....

Tried to run that through google translate and I'm left at a loss. It works awkwardly, but even so I see nothing on there that suggests anything about animation at all, let alone DuckTales. Are we sure that's the link? Where's the original post pointing to this?

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Here's another article from the same TVTropes article which these links came from (open the "noteworthy productions from the 1980s" tab). I'm as confused as you are.

16. Mesterius

Mesterius New Member

Because most animated TV series takes 2-3 years to make from development until the final product.

17. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

@GWOtaku You rang?

That page is taking about how some people went out for barbeque. Maybe they ate duck, but there is literally no mention of a Duck Tales cartoon. Not even the word "cartoon". Tell your tvtropers to keep fishing.

Edit: the second link makes mention of a 30 year old cartoon... and a lot of eating and playing and the coming new year. It also says they're not children, they really are adults (笑 is literally 'lol'). Granted, I don't now the context and even less about Duck Tales, but as it is, that post is just typical Japanese "it's oshougatsu (new year) so let's go eat with all our friends" fare.

18. Zen Man

Zen Man Active Member

As usual I'm late to the party; but this is exciting news!

Hopefully Disney is able to capture the spirit of the original series without trying to modernize it too much ( sure they can add cell phones/lap tops; but keep it ambiguous). Some of the voice actors are advanced in age (Alan Young, June Foray, Chuck McCann) so hopefully they can find suitable successors; definitely hope to see Russi Taylor (Huey, Dewey Louie, Webby) and Terrence McGovern (Lunchpad) reprise their roles.

It's a long shot....but if they decide to go the 2-D route (*crosses fingers*) ...that maybe they can convince TMS to do the animation once again. Character-wise, I hope Donald is positioned like he was in the original show; helpful guest star who joins the crew on adventures while not taking away from the Scrooge/Huey, Dewey and Louie dynamic. One of the strongest aspects of the show was Scrooge's relationship with the boys; so hopefully they won't lose that. I also hope we see the returns of Gyro Gearloose, Doofus, Fenton Crackshell/Gizmoduck, Gladstone and The Phantom Blot among others. Bubba Duck on the other hand, should never be seen/spoken of again IMO!! LOL

And finally the show won't be complete without the original theme song - DUCKTALES... WOO -OOO !!!

19. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

My opinion on bringing back certain characters and how to use them:

Donald: Personally, I'd have him as a regular instead of making him a occasional guest star, as it would allow for more adaptations of some of the classic Carl Barks stories (which served as one of the main inspirations for Ducktales).

Gyro: I'm sure Gyro will be back for the new version, given his inventor role.

Doofus: Given how the character was pretty much forgotten about after the first season (mostly due to the focus on Fenton and Bubba Duck), him appearing in the new series is somewhat doubtful, but still possible (if the new version does bring back the Junior Woodchucks).

Fenton/Gizmoduck: This is a hard one to say. On one side, the main reason for Fenton's existence was so that the show would have a Donald Duck-type character without having to us him (especially given the plot point of Donald doing a tour of duty in the Navy). As such, if Donald is a main character in the new version, it defeats the main purpose of Fenton getting involved. However, that doesn't mean he can't be included completely, as there's still the other aspect of him: the character of Gizmoduck.

Gladstone: I feel that if he's going to play a role in the new series, then it will only happen if Donald is a regular on the show instead of a guest star, as most of Gladstone's stories focus on him and Donald having a rivalry of sorts.

20. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

^Wow! I'm pretty much in complete agreement with you on those points (especially on Gladstone, a character who doesn't make sense as anything but a foil for Donald). I feel that the comics Donald being a constantly down on his luck everyman who's always straining to fulfill his adult responsibilities (yes, often comically) is a large part of what makes those comics appeal as much to adults as children.