1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"DuckTales" (2017) Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Toon Zone, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I used to love the original one when I was little so I am interested in seeing how this would turn out. I hope they leave Bubba out. He had no point whatsoever.

2. Ducktales Fan

Ducktales Fan Classic Television Fan Here

I hope it will be as every bit as good as the original if not better. I definitely will be taking a look at this.

#22 Ducktales Fan, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2015
  3. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

It is rather sad that Disney won't be running this on their main channel it seems at all due to wanting to keep that as animated free as possible (seriously they proved they can reinvent former successful series well with Girl Meets World) but honestly seems like it could be a good series. Honestly you can do even more interesting timeless sort of adventure tales now in the 80's with less restrictions and you know better animation. Yeah I know "but the animation was really good for Ducktales back then". Yeah but honestly that's really sort of improved over the years and you have to remember what looked really good at the series peak wasn't what the consistent quality of the show was. Still this looks like it could be something really special. I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the original series but it's also something I could honestly see them really taking and keeping that same charm and enjoyment found 30 years ago. Plus it will be nice to finally have another Animated Disney series since House of Mouse to you know really take advantage of the actual Disney characters that isn't just 2-4 year old Blues Clues level series. Okay granted it will only be Donald and Scrooge and the Huey/Dewey/Louie Trio but still be good to see regardless.

4. Robert McSantos

Not gonna lie, this was my first reaction as well.

Regardless, good on Disney for giving this old IP a chance to prove it still has some life left in it. And I'd like to give a special shoutout to Boom Studios, Wayforward Games, and IDW Comics for their efforts at bringing the characters back into the public eye, which no doubt contributed heavily to this new show's existence.

But how much do you want to bet they still won't have the last 25 episodes available on DVD in 2017 when this new show premieres?

5. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

Well this is something. I barely remember Ducktales aside from the theme song, but I heard good things about it. I wonder if this reboot can stand on its own merits.

6. TnAdct1

TnAdct1 Ravioli, Ravioli

For me, one thing that needs to be done in terms of the new Ducktales is to continue doing one of the things that made the original series a title that many people hold near and dear to their hearts: animated adaptation of the classic Uncle Scrooge comic book stories (and with Donald now in the mix, you could adapt some of his classic comic tales as well).

7. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

Awesome news but why release it in 2017? That seems to far away.

8. SweetShop209

SweetShop209 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen Ducktales a lot, but I remember liking it a lot. Maybe this series will be good. Though, I wonder who would voice Scrooge in this series? Alan Young can't keep doing it forever since he's currently 95 years old.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

What the what? This is too good to be true!

They better record Alan Young's lines quick before he croaks. Ditto with June Foray.

To make sure they do it right!

When is the last time a cartoon debuted on Disney Channel? They do air late at night there, but as a designated "Disney XD" block. Disney has segregated their live-action and animated properties into two separate channels. Ironically Disney XD has reverted back into its original Toon Disney form.

10. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

I am hoping disney gets Andrea Romano to voice direct this since she did the original one in the 80's

11. blak89

blak89 Member

I'm quite hyped to be honest.
    Hopefully it will be in 2D animation.

I also like the fact that Donald is going to be involved in their adventures.

I wonder if it's going to be an episodic series like the original or, following the success of Gravity Falls, they're also going to write a longer myth-arc.

12. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Disney has turned out some really good 2-D TV animation in recent years, in some cases just as good as what DuckTales originally looked like. I would really prefer they do this in 2D. I can picture a 3D DuckTales in my head and it looks awkward.

This reminds me I need to go buy DuckTales Remastered for Wii U.
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&fie...ode=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

13. quiteliterally

Well, the in-universe answer is that he was in the Navy.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

And that's a very good answer too.....I still wanted more Donald though. :)

I'm not sure what I feel about the voice cast. Alan Young and the others were excellent. The timing is also right for a fresh start that will have to happen sooner or later.

15. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

I'm a huge fan of the original Uncle Scrooge/Donald Duck comics by Carl Barks (and his later day successor Don Rosa), so anything to raise the profile of my favorite Disney character, Uncle Scrooge, is most welcome.

I love that Donald is mentioned in the press release. The comics are predicated on that Scrooge + Donald + Huey/Dewey/Louie dynamic, and relegating Donald to cameos just makes DuckTales feel off to me. I can't help it! Maybe we can have some episodes based off the great adventure comics Carl Barks made before Uncle Scrooge became the go-to adventure character?

The Ghost of the Grotto, The Golden Helmet, and Lost in the Andes are three of the most entertaining comics ever made, and they just feature Donald and the boys, sans Scrooge.

16. TheGreatOne2

TheGreatOne2 Active Member

Hopelly with this news. Disney will finally release the final part of the 80's Ducktales to dvd (Volume 4) which they have not done yet

17. Robert McSantos

I know what you mean. As much as we all might want the original voices back, I'm sure if they cast sound-alikes we would all get used to it very quickly, and that's probably preferable to recasting the characters mid-production.

18. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Please don't give them any ideas.

And premiering this series in 2017 makes sense, as that marks not only DuckTales' 30th anniversary, but also the 70th anniversary of Uncle Scrooge in general.

19. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Wow! Hadn't thought of that: Christmas on Bear Mountain was published in 1947!

I love how nasty Scrooge is in that first story: "Everybody hates me, and I hate everybody!"

:D

20. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

The main obstacle is Donald's voice. He could speak full sentences in the comic and be understood. Not so much in the cartoons. I figure this is why Scrooge took his role in the first place.