1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Duck Amuck vs Rabbit Rampage

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by ToonReel, Mar 1, 2017.

1. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Another 'vs' thread, since they seem to be all the rage right now. :p

I'm interested in hearing opinions on this. While Duck Amuck is often unanimously considered the most ingenious due to being made first and one of the most genre bashing and innovative cartoons of it's time, a lot of people I've heard from seem to defend Rabbit Rampage as their personal favourite.

What's everyone's general preference here?

2. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

Duck Amuck is the better short. Not only is it the original idea, but the animator is far more aggressive in that short, so Rabbit Rampage comes off as a tamer copy.

In DA, the animator is dropping Daffy into the ocean and blowing him up. In RR, the animator mostly just bothers Bugs by constantly changing his design. Heck, Bugs gets to end his cartoon gracefully while Daffy presses on.

DA covers other portions of production, like the camera, sound, and the film reel. RR doesn't go into any of that. DA is the superior cartoon by telling more jokes and taking more advantages of the medium. RR, by contrast, just feels like they're taking one joke from the previous short and stretching it out.

3. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

They both suck to me - but seeing Daffy suffer is worse for me; as much as Daffy deserves it, I've always liked Daffy Duck more, at least before he became less zany, which is where crap like this shows up...

4. ToonReel

ToonReel Active Member

Actually I thought that too when I compared them for the first time. I did notice one neat subtlety about RR however, while the jokes on Bugs may seem repetitive, they have different more complex intent. The animator in DA is just a creative sadist that wants to torment and anger Daffy through all forms, while RR's keeps trying to hit Bugs right where it hurts; his dignity.

Daffy loses his cool ceaselessly, but he never just thinks to up and quit, he doesn't care if the guy in charge has it in for him, he'll go through anything and everything if it means he gets to be the star (a premise shown again in A Star Is Bored). Bugs however refuses full stop to be in a picture he's not calling the shots, only relenting when the animator finds other ways to make him look bad and hurt his 'winner' image, and so tries to get through the whole cartoon looking the better man teeth bared (the strike sign gag I admit was pretty clever especially if you knew what had been going on with WB around that era).

Bugs getting to finish the cartoon his way (but still beaten down and exasperated in 'victory') is even clever in the way it recycles the 'The End' card from DA, the one Daffy shoved offscreen and refused to let on go. Bugs demands he's calling it quits and preserving what shred of dignity he has left, while Daffy suicidally insists the show goes on, even at his expense.

While it doesn't stop RR being a recycled premise, I admit that it's a clever play in that regard. While DA was meant to show how flexible Daffy was as a character, RR was meant to show how inflexible Bugs was.

It is somewhat ironic that a cartoon meant to show how versatile a character Daffy was ended up playing part into him being typecast into the same curmudgeonly egomaniacal butt monkey role over and over again. At least RR stayed out of the usual for Bugs.

• Like Like x 1
    #4 ToonReel, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  5. DVDLooney

DVDLooney Active Member

Duck Amuck is more superior, even though, non-LT fans know about this short a lot. Because it just make for Bugs to a better heckler in that WB toon than Elmer does against Bugs in Rabbit Rampage.

6. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I always liked that Elmer Fudd getting back at bugs
    kinda like Tom getting back at Jerry

• Like Like x 1
  7. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Never A Good Bot

"Duck Amuck" for all of its gags and visuals, though I still love the latter as well (Bugs can dish it out, but he can't take it:p).

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Rabbit Rampage, Duck Amuck was annoying I just felt that the constant changing was cool meta humor but it did get annoying there since it was the obvious Daffy which doesn't do as much good as a story like Rabbit Rampage.

• Like Like x 1