1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[DS] Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by SuperDudeX, May 9, 2009.

1. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Living it up.

It was so good of them to do this. Smart move.

2. Zilch

Zilch Member

I really wish Nintendo would give us the Manaphy event Japan got, but it doesn't look like they will. Phione, Manaphy and Deoxys are the only Legendaries that I don't have in Gen IV.

3. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

Oh wow, awesome! I really wanted to get them, but I wasn't able to find my copy of Pearl until the day after the Suicune event ended (and didn't think of just starting my in-box copy of SoulSilver until then). I was able to get Ash's Pikachu, but I felt really annoyed that I was unable to get the shiny beasts.

But now I can...hopefully...

Edit: Nevermind, I managed to get the Wi-Fi connection to work and successfully got my Raikou!

#2263 veemonjosh, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2011
  4. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Suicune is up now and has been all week... just in case it slipped anyone's mind.

But, personally?

Meganium (Level 61)
    Pidgeot (Level 60)
    Kangaskhan (Level 61)
    Umbreon (Level 60)
    Arbok (Level 58)
    Gyarados (Level 60)

That team just beat Red for me. I mean, I'd say the victory points should probably go to the tag-team of Full Restore and Revive, but, hey, who's counting? Very exciting; it acts as a great bookend to Generation IV, with V just around the corner.

And by beating him, I got myself a Charmander and a Mudkip, along with the Red Orb. So now I just need to hunt down Latios in the wild, catch Moltres in Mt. Silver, climb the Embedded Tower, and get my hands on a Celebi, unless they just give one out over Wi-Fi. So close...

Funny thing is, I was actually looking for Moltres when I stumbled onto Red. So I figured, hey, while I'm here, why not? :p

5. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

You mean Entei? That's the one I got on Monday.

6. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Yes, I do. :sweat: I've made that mistake at least three times now... I must subconsciously think of them as "Raikou, Suicune, and Entei" or something.

7. Lanmanna

Lanmanna Member

I used
    Ampharos(Level 45)
    Blastoise(Level 50)
    Charizard(Level 52)
    Ho-Oh(Level 45)
    Lugia(Level 70)
    Mewtwo(Level 70)

Let's just say I used tons and tons of revives and potions. xD

8. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

Arbok and Kangaskhan? I'm curious on your moveset for them.

I really want to train something unusual for my team but I can't think of anything that is both unusual and EFFECTIVE like my Miltank was in Pearl ><

9. jph139

jph139 Immortal

Kangaskhan - Earthquake, Dizzy Punch, Avalanche, Rock Smash

I get a LOT of mileage out of her. Rock Smash is pretty much just for convenience and I'm currently looking into a replacement for it, but really, she has a move for every occasion. Not to mention REALLY high defenses and HP, so, she lasts a while, too. Very pleasant surprise - absolute powerhouse.

Arbok - Sludge Bomb, Gunk Shot, Strength, Glare

Honestly, he's a bit of a lame duck. I'm thinking of giving him Fire Fang, since no one on my team has a Fire attack, but, I'm not quite sure. I've raised him from level 8, though, so I don't feel right dropping him now.

10. PC!

PC! lolwut?

It did. ^_^;; Thanks for the reminder. I would have missed out otherwise.

11. Undrave

Undrave Forever Burning Heart!

You could replace Rock Smash by a different HM like Rock Climb or even Strength if you ditch it from Arbok.

I think Fire Fang would be a nice surprise on your Arbok, would help it deal with Steal Types that are otherwise immune to its attacks. Not sure if ditching Glare is worth it though hmm... probably drop Strength.

Its a really nice team you got there. I really want to use something in my team that's more tricky and unusual, like a baton passer or something more defensive, I got too much sweepers and tanks going on.

12. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

Yeah, I beat Red with most of my pokes around 55ish, and Scizor was 61 I think.

IIRC, my team was Starmie, Gengar, Scizor, Houndoom, my Shiny Nidoking, and Jolteon maybe? Nah.. not him. I can't remember the 6th. I beat Red before I trained my Garchomp up, so it wasn't him. May have been Metagross.

13. NewcomerDC

NewcomerDC Active Member

For those of you who have forgotten, Suicune (through Feb. 27th) and Celebi (through March 6th) are being given out through Wi-Fi and your local Gamestop stores. Note that the Wi-Fi's only for Suicune and Gamestop's only for Celebi.

14. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

Is there any hint that Celebi will be released through Wi-Fi like Entei and co?

15. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

Well, if you pick up the information sheet they have in stores, they do mention in fine print that there is a possibility that there is a chance that this will head to Wi-Fi.

Also, got them today, and it should be noted that despite the fact that GameStop is putting more emphasis on what Celebi can do in the Gen V games, I would recommend taking it to the Ilex Forest and interacting with that shrine.

16. PC!

PC! lolwut?

Finally, after a decade, I have Celebi. My Pokedex is complete.

Bring on Black and White.

17. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

So, did anyone play the side quest in the Ilex Forest yet, where you get to fight Giovanni in HG/SS yet? I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter, especially one very controversial one that I'm going to talk about right now. That is, what do you think happened to Giovanni after your fight.

So, who here thinks that Giovanni committed suicide at the end of the battle? I mean, I thought that when I first played it with a Japanese Celebi I was able to obtain from a trade at BMGF, it did seem like that after the battle, Giovanni got depressed, wonder what the point in all this was, went near the waterfall, and killed himself. Also, your friend's comment about how Giovanni won't be coming is kind of telling.

I should also point out that the original Japanese script mentioned that Silver/Rival was Giovanni's son, since he called him Dad during that first scene where Celebi uses it's Time Travel ability. This wasn't mentioned in the English version for whatever reason.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I went through that side quest a couple of days ago when I first got my DSi. Even though I used my regular teams in both versions, which are full of level one hundred Pokemon, it was still kind of fun to battle Giovanni, especially since I haven't really done that since FireRed and LeafGreen. I actually thought that he did jump into the water when I heard that static sound from Team Rocket's radio broadcast, but then I realized it was coming from the radio. I'm not sure if he really committed suicide or not. While he was depressed and said that the dream for Team Rocket was more of an illusion, he could have left to just start over his life by not focusing on getting stronger for Team Rocket. As for the friend's comment, I thought it was just a sign of how sad the situation is for the Team Rocket members begging for Giovanni to return when he had already given up on his dream to return as a stronger leader for the team. It could have been a subtle way of saying that he had committed suicide, but I'm not completely convinced that it happened. Though, unless Team Rocket resurfaces in a future game, we probably won't know for sure anytime soon.

I'm kind of surprised that they didn't keep the mention that Silver is Giovanni's son. I'm pretty sure that people speculated that for ages before it became true, but maybe they didn't want it to be too obvious. I actually liked that first scene since it had shown how Silver, the rival, became so full of anger and how far he has come in the game, especially when he cried a little after Prof. Elm told him that he could keep the starter Pokemon that he stole. That was a nice way to explain his beginning and makes me hope that the rivals in Black and White will be really interesting like him too.

19. Katsumara

Katsumara Ohi.

I actually went through it with a Japanese Celebi and thought for sure he was dead, and then Silver was his son. Was definitely an interesting twist on things and a good explanation as to why Giovanni wasn't ever really around anymore.