"DreamWorks' Dragons: Riders of Berk" - News and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Destiny of Awe, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Destiny of Awe

Destiny of Awe Should update a lot of things

So, I just found out that CN going to get an animated series based on "How to Train Your Dragon."

I guess CN noticed that Nick has managed to get 2 Dreamworks deals (Penguins of Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda : Legends of Awesomeness) and decided to get one, too.

I got the info off of deadline.com

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/how...-to-spawn-animated-series-on-cartoon-network/

2. King9

King9 Embraced One

I was happy to hear about this. Curious that Nick got the other two, but CN snagged HTTYD. I wonder if there are politics behind that or if DWA decided CN was a better fit.

I can see HTTYD transmitting well to a 30 minute format. Characters were good, animation was amazing. I'll be expecting good things. Let's hope they don't make the same mistake the Kung Fu Panda series is making by getting everything all set and then delaying the premiere of the show so that it will gel better with the sequel release.

3. Doguineta

Doguineta Active Member

I remember reading here at TZ that it's airing in CN cause it's too action-y and mature for Nick, which has me intrigued.

4. Jazz1000

Jazz1000 The Sleep Eater

i dont understand why nikc or whoever said that concerded nick airs action on nicktoons.
    anyways im glad Cartoon network Picked this up maybe air after star wars the clone wars on night of action block

5. ToonFan83

ToonFan83 I'll grow old, but never up

I remember that from an article.

Basically, DWA wanted to keep the tone of the movie and felt CN was a better choice since Nick was, for lack of a better word on my part, "kid-centric."

6. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

I haven't seen much of anything about Avatar: The Last Airbender, but wouldn't that nicktoon negate that theory? It was even popular enough to get a spin-off series, so I don't think Nick has a problem with action shows with a light tone of humor.

CN is more liberal now-a-days with certain things, such as the mention of death and dark images in kids cartoons (Nick used to have that a lot, but it's been pretty happy and campy as of late), so I guess it's more in the light of the creators would prefer to have terrifying dragons roaring at their screen without the executives complaining that it's too scary for children.

7. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Most definetely. HTTYD has the action adventure vibe that can thrive on CN. A perfect fit. I loved KungFuPanda1, but I have no problem with Nick holding that and that annoying Penguins series.

I find it quite ironic...seeing as how their live action series "always" push the envelope. G-rated content? Ha.:shrug:

8. Destiny of Awe

I found some more news on the subject, but this has a very negative viewpoint.
    In a way, I agree with them. I mean, Penguins of Madagascar wasn't exactly the best show on Nick. Let's just hope that they (staff of How to Train Your Dragon; The Series) don't add any new charatcers or something like that. I HATE IT when that happens.

Here's a link for a video interview with How to Train Your Dragon executive producer Tim Johnson. The website's Italian, but the video is in English.
    Oh, and a sequel is going to be made. It comes in 2013!!!!
    http://www.badtaste.it/articoli/excl-tim-johnson-ci-parla-del-sequel-di-dragon-trainer

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  9. Infusions

Infusions Showers in Spokane

Well, Madagascar wasn't exactly the best animated movie to begin with. It was a "mileage-may-vary" enjoyable movie, with the same reaction for the series. HTTYD is a highly enjoyable movie that I'm hoping Dreamworks will treat with respect (Business comes first, sure I expect that, but I trust them to give us a good series). DW has been pretty well on their feet in terms of animation and writing and whatnot, so I have faith they'll treat the series with respect.

Also, even if the voice actors don't return, who cares? None of the Kung Fu Panda voice actors are returning for the series, but their imitators are remarkably canny, I wouldn't have even known they were different VA's if somebody didn't tell me (Minus Tigress). Based on the clips too, KFP series looks pretty good.

Both shows basically feel like the movie, and if you don't like Madagascar that much, Penguins will look pretty mediocre to you. If you love KFP, then I imagine you'll be pleasantly surprised by the series (Based on the clips I've seen, it still has that fun humor and action going on like the movies did).

10. King9

King9 Embraced One

Wow, that was extremely negative!
    I don't hate new characters, I can appreciate anything so long as its done well. On that note I don't hate that they are making a series out of HTTYD (and KFP). I mean, it's another franchise show, but again if it's done well and does the films justice I really can't complain.

11. Destiny of Awe

I don't really hate hate when that happens. Its just that,well, I don't know, sometimes when old characters interact with new ones its changes the old character's character. Or something of the like.

12. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I wouldn't mind seeing new characters on the series if they are likeable and well written just like everybody else.

13. Hypeathon

Hypeathon Active Member

.... I genuinely thought Penguins of Madagascar was funny.

14. Destiny of Awe

More news on the subject. I got it off Wikipedia, so may not be, you know, credible.
    Oh, and the sequel is coming June 20, 2014.

15. Destiny of Awe

So, while wait about a year for the show to premiere on CN, let's wonder to ourselves.
    Which characters do we want to learn about more?

16. TheGunheart

TheGunheart Darkness and Disgrace

My issue is the idea of How to Train Your Dragon on a TV budget. Toothless was easily one of the best animated creatures I've seen, and I'm not too keen on the idea of him being being a victim of budget cuts.

17. King9

King9 Embraced One

Hmm. Is it just me or does next year seem awfully soon for a series?
    I'm definitely into 'How To Train Your Dragon.' I'd be happy to learn more about any of the characters really and we'll surely get new ones to meet. Toothless was really cool, but I liked Hiccup a lot despite the typical 'dogged nerdy guy' archetype. Man that was a good movie.

18. TeddyBear

TeddyBear New Member

Patience is indeed a virtue! Still, the wait for this show is a little long but well worth it.

19. Starlioness

Starlioness New Member

I agree, Look at the Lemurs of POM at least Toothless doesn't have fur.. :sad::sad:

I haven't seen the Panda clips so I don't know how well the fur is going to be on those guys..

20. Destiny of Awe

Just got a little more news.
    So, whattaya think?