Dreamworks Animation now owns Felix the Cat

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by Dudley, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

2. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

Does this mean we may finally get a legal release of The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat?

3. Kirben

Kirben Member

The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat (1995 series) was already released on DVD in Germany, offering English & German audio:
    Felix the Cat - Komplettbox [3 DVDs]

4. Pac-Attack

Pac-Attack Yeah, pre-order that's a good idea!

Not sure how to feel about this honestly.

5. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Huh. Wonder what they'll do with that.

Pretty much every cartoon I know of that has to do with Felix has been some weird drugged-up thing. Will DreamWorks continue the tradition?

6. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Wow... just... wow. What's next, the Jim Henson Co.?

7. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Without the Muppets, what's the point?

8. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Beating Disney to the punch would certainly top exploiting the Copyright Term Extension Act.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2014
  9. MadMan400096

MadMan400096 World War I Flying Ace

We don't all live in Germany and/or can afford to import.

10. Kirben

Kirben Member

Well, a legal DVD release is out there at least. Importing is the only way to get many cartoon series on DVD, and even less cartoon series are released on DVD these days.

11. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I don't like this news at all. Apparently there are no plans (yet) for a movie, but I'm not about to watch this company take this classic character, and give him their, uh..."unique" spin on him...

12. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Perhaps, but no offense, you never seem to like any news, so that's normal. :p

Dreamworks' take on Felix the Cat an't be any worse than what exists already. People mainly remember the Trans-Lux Felix cartoons for how crudely made they were. Remember that weird-as-crud animated Felix the Cat movie that the Nostalgia Critic reviewed a few years back? In fact, pretty much every take on Felix that I can recall has been pretty trippy. Is there even a "proper" take on Felix the Cat? I don't think that anyone can taint the image of a character franchise that's primarily known for being weird.

And if Dreamworks is planning to produce a Felix the Cat movie, I think that we should give them the benefit of the doubt. Mr. Peabody and Sherman actually turned out to be pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  13. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

Felix might be a better fit for Netflix or YouTube though, especially after Peabody disappointed at the box office.

14. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Mixed feelings. Didn't expect this. Don't see the need.

I smell a new TV series. Who's it going to be - Nick or CN? I'm going with CN and a fall 2015 release date. It's going to be 5 minutes long and rival Disney's Mickey Mouse.

15. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

As I alluded before, it would either be Netflix or YouTube.

16. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Hm. And is it mentioned in the press release somewhere? I wouldn't mind YouTube, Netflix I dunno. I think Felix deserves better. I think they'll put it on TV. Why waste money on something you're going to barely use?

17. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

"Barely use"? Lots of people are 'cutting the cord' and making the internet their primary source of entertainment. Presently, about 50% of the shows which I make a point to watch are web exclusives.

18. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

I like good news, and in my opinion, this isn't. Toilet humor isn't a proper fit for Felix the Cat, which is mostly slapstick and surreal (i.e. the original movie, and Twisted Tales) humor (which as far as I know avoids pop culture references that only select viewers would understand, at least in the original shorts). Maybe you don't agree with me, but I don't think Dreamworks should try to make a Felix movie that's more like their other movies.

I don't want another Shrek.

I don't want another Madagascar.

I don't want another Flushed Away.

I don't want another Kung Fu Panda (where everybody is Kung Fu Fighting, and everyone's "fast as lightning"...).

I don't want another Turbo.

I don't want another self-tribute/self-parody movie that doesn't know what it's talking about.

I want a Felix the Cat movie that is actually a Felix the Cat movie. That is, a movie that isn't another in-name-only production, and which maintains a balance between preserving the original artistic integrity and being "modern" without trying to pander to, or otherwise please any one particular type of viewer (including, but not limited to, focusing more on the lowest common denominator). However, because this is Dreamworks we're talking about, it's very likely that this may (I repeat: MAY) just be another typical Dreamworks movie that assumes the viewers will watch anything (recognizable name or not) no matter how bad or otherwise inadequate the movie really is. I will say that I'm willing to give them a chance, but I still have to consider their past track record, as well as (with all due respect to them) their apparent attitude towards family (let alone animated) movies in general.

Again, you might not agree with me, but movies can just be themselves without trying to please one type of viewer at everyone else's expense. I just don't feel that Dreamworks is likely to make any Felix the Cat movie any different from what they've done previously. People have mentioned Peabody and Sherman. Certain parts only happened to work because that's what one would expect from the original Rocky and Bullwinkle segments. Dreamworks really just did what they usually do with only partial consideration for artistic integrity, which was made clear to me when I learned of a part of the movie that incorporated toilet humor. Am I supposed to think that a Felix movie by Dreamworks will be any different? Every work should judged on its own merits, but how can Dreamworks expect anyone to judge their works the same way, when most of them have the same generic unfunny comedy (including both toilet humor and deconstructive parody) and unnecessary pop culture references that are deliberately only there for the benefit of the older viewers (resulting in adaptations and remakes being more in-name-only productions)? Believe me, I'm all for comedy, but not when it's forced down people's throats at the expense of creativity and artistic integrity.

So how can I possibly see this as "good news" where Dreamworks is concerned? Again, I'm willing to give them a chance and I do believe in benefit of the doubt, but I still have to take the above into consideration. If they do end up making a movie, I'm just not going to bother if it's not going to be an actual Felix the Cat movie. Until or unless it does happen, though, I suppose all we can do is wait and see what happens...

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Shrek, Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda are all critically and commercially successful franchises, regardless of whether you personally care for them or not. It just seems to me that your standards may be set impossibly high. Like Helen Parr, aka Elasticgirl says, "You need to be more flexible." I just think that it's better to view these things with an open mind and hope for the best rather than to go all Bad Luck Shleprock and expect everything to be a disaster before we know anything about it.

Where in the article does it say that there will be toilet humor? That's just an assumption on your part.

So...you haven't actually seen Twisted Tales, then? I've seen one episode of the series, so that makes me a better judge of the series' content than you, if only by a narrow margin. Many of your complaints lose some of their credibility when you haven't seen the things that you're complaining about. Have you seen any of the original shorts? I have.

This particular complaint is so incredibly specific and personal that it's a non-issue. And it's really the sort of thing that requires an explanation, since it can be interpreted a number of ways. How is a movie not "being itself"? Who else can it be?

Sorry, but I can't take this statement seriously either. Based on your previous posts, "self parody" just seems to be your go-to phrase for anything that you don't like.

And if you didn't actually see Mr. Peabody and Sherman, how can you accurately determine if the movie was worthy or not? I saw the movie and am familiar with the original cartoon and I didn't find the film to be blasphemous.

Getting back to the topic, I have no expectations for Felix the Cat because the main thing that the character and his supporting cast have been known for over the decades is being bizarre and surreal. Felix has never had a distinctive outstanding personality the way that say, Bugs Bunny or Mickey Mouse have, and his universe has never had any concrete set of rules or traditions that it originally adhered to. The Felix universe can be interpreted a number of different ways. Felix is a "classic" character, but in terms of personality and setting, he's more or less a blank slate.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  20. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

It's just what DreamWorks does now.